Road rules at Victorian intersections

I ride a bike to and from home in Richmond to work in Collingwood every day. For most of the way there is a dedicated bike lane including clearly marked green painted lanes at some intersections.

Now I know that a car is able to cross a bike lane for 50 metres provided the driver gives way to any oncoming cyclists, but what's the deal at an intersection?

I get really frustrated when cycling on the green lane and as I approach the Victoria St intersection, all these cars start piling up on the green lane at the lights. Because the cars have essentially cut me off, I'm stuck behind all the traffic. It was my understanding that the green lane is there to enable me to get to the front of the traffic queue so I can quickly enter and leave the interaction safely and drivers can see me. They can't see me if I'm stuck behind a bunch of cars pushing to get into other lanes.

I don't drive a car so can the Vic motorists please advise, what is your understanding of the bike lane at intersections?

And before I get flamed, I'm a good cyclist. I'm not one of those morons speeding around like I'm trying out for the race in France. I am simply going to work and back. I NEVER turn left until the lights tell me to and I try my best to obey the rules like any other vehicle on the road and always always use my hands to indicate I'm turning.

My only problem is knowing about this intersection issue. So sick of being cut off!

I tried the Vic Roads site but could only find reference that cars could cross the bike lane if changing lanes. Couldn't find anything about cars sitting in the bike lane coming up to intersections.

If you find out is it going to change anything? Nthe cars are still going to queue there whether they should or not. Not being funny, just trying to understand what this knowledge will ain you?

Truth be told? So I can say something to those who have their windows down in hope it improves over time.

All research so far indicates they can cross the bike lane, but not stop in it but I want proof. It's hard going riding a bike in peak hour

Redcat I'm not sure about that one. If a car is entitled to enter 50m into a bike lane to turn left, then surely this extends to a car even if it is stationery in that lane, for example if it was waiting for the traffic lights. It wouldn't make sense if the cars could only go in the bike lane if the lights were green...

I fear you might be correct Aaron. I can't find anything online about cars being stationary in the bike lane but what you're saying makes sense.

Yet they NEVER do it at the Punt Road intersection. On that occasion the bike lane is on the LHS. At Victoria St it starts in the LH lane but then another lane is created for those turning left, which is why the problem occurs I guess.

Back