New house phone line - only Telstra cable available

With old copper lines, the home owner simply had the line trenched in from the street and a socket installed. It was then up to the tenant to sign up with whatever carrier they want for voice/internet.

I have a new house in an estate where the only landline available is Telstra's "Velocity" cable service. To have it connected up i have to sign up for a 12 or 24 month broadband contract with Telstra. Apart from being very expensive, this is far from ideal as a landlord. How have other investors tackled the issue of having a cable service installed without locking themselves into a service contract?

I would think that the fibre has already been connected to the home. It is up to the tenant if they want the service.

Similar to a phone service on a new home,
Just leave it and and advise the agent that it is there and then let the tenants connect it in their name ,you will most likely have to reimburse the tenant.(Just the connection fee,ask the agent what is normal in these circumstances)

Correct on what painter said. Also the sparky (if the sparkies are doing your phone and data cabling as well) will put the conduit from the pit to the house and its up to telstra (hence the ridiculous connection fee) to install the cable when you or the tenant sign up for it.

New estate = fibre. This will be similar in the nbn world.

I understand that the prior should be able to pay for a regular phone service.

Back