Damaged Telstra Line

I have a tenant that wants to get internet put on at the property. However the tenant has informed me that there is no phone points in the house. He has investigated under the house to see where the lead in cable enters the house. He has found a phone line (main lead in cable) that runs out through a conduit from the slab. This cable then runs under the house and is cut off. (The tenant is an electrician so he must have some idea)

He has contacted iinet who have confirmed that the property has a live active phone line.

I have been told that altering the main lead in cable can result in fines up to $10,000

I have only rented this property out and have never been aware that there where no phone points.

So I am not sure if I should ring Telstra to have a look at this or not as I don’t know what they would charge.

Has anyone had a similar problem before or anyone on SS know much about repairing phone lines?

no phone points, and a never-connected lead in cable, may just be that there never was a phone service installed.
when building a house its often been free for the telco to run lines in at frame stage
then connection is easier for them, when connection is planned
there may just be a wire ready for installation, not a fault

The property is 50 years old, the main lead in cable is cut under the house as it comes out of the slab(house is high set) then continues under the house to 2 other areas of the house but is not connected to any phone points.

sorry, thought it was a new build, dunno why, you didnt write it in the op

get an installer to run points wherever you want.
as long as the cable is functioning, and the installer can ping it back to the junction, the install will be easy.
the fines are large, for those who cut the lines with a backhoe or something and cause system damage.
dial before you dig etc

Since its before the first point its on telstra's side of the network.
This means a licenced cabler can't fix it for you legally. Only Telstra or one of their nominated contractors.

The easiest way for this to be fixed is for the tenant to activate a phoneline in their name. You then can be nice and reimburse them the difference between a normal connection and one requiring a new line.
Technician visit required, cabling work needed Standard Connection – First line $299
No technician visit required Standard Connection – First line $59

If the tenant is trying to get IInet naked DSL/phone they have to deal with them to get the line repaired.

Doovalacky is right. Telstra is obliged to maintain the line up to the first socket.

Kind of strange that in this day and age previous tenants have not had phone line.

How long have you owned the place?

We have recently had an issue with a tenant (Qld) who is not happy with where the phone point is located and wants US to install another point. Our PM has checked with the RTA in Qld and it is our obligation to supply one working phone point only.

I suggest you phone Telstra and ask for their advice. If the line has been cut at some point you may incur costs.
Marg

We have recently had an issue with a tenant (Qld) who is not happy with where the phone point is located and wants US to install another point. Our PM has checked with the RTA in Qld and it is our obligation to supply one working phone point only.

Tell them to go and buy a hand portable and put the base next to the phone point.

Tell them to go and buy a hand portable and put the base next to the phone point.

Exactly my reply.

We have just bought a base unit with answering machine and 3 remote handsets for around $50 from KMart. Told PM to suggest to tenant to do the same (hers to keep).
Marg

Doovalacky is right. Telstra is obliged to maintain the line up to the first socket.

Kind of strange that in this day and age previous tenants have not had phone line.

How long have you owned the place?

Have had the place just on 2 years, this is the 2nd lot of tenants. It was a deceased estate.From my understanding the phone line is still connected to the telstra pit, it has just been cut before it enters up through the floor boards under the house. So now its just bare wires exposed.

My PM received a quote from a data company...$1425. There scope of work seemed way over the top:
New trench from back of house to telstra pit
new conduit and new cable put through to selected area for phone point.
Back fill and compact trench.

I just dont want to receive a fine or any high costs for something that i didnt do.

Maybe you can find someone who does prewiring for phones and have them check the wires for you. You could even consider having them extend the wires up inside the house to a socket.

If it then doesn't work you could ring Telstra and apply for a connection, they will make the first entry point work as part of their deal (AFAIK)

We have local bloke who fits household filters for ADSL, he has to be a Telstra approved tech so maybe you could ask at an electronics store who fits ADSL filters locally and then ask that person to have a look.

Maybe you can find someone who does prewiring for phones and have them check the wires for you. You could even consider having them extend the wires up inside the house to a socket.

You could ring Telstra and apply for a connection, they will make the first entry point work as part of their deal (AFAIK)

We have local bloke who fits household filters for ADSL, he has to be a Telstra approved tech so maybe you could ask at an electronics store who fits ADSL filters locally and then ask that person to have a look.

My PM received a quote from a data company...$1425. There scope of work seemed way over the top:
New trench from back of house to telstra pit
new conduit and new cable put through to selected area for phone point.
Back fill and compact trench.

I just dont want to receive a fine or any high costs for something that i didnt do.

Way over the top!

Look - just ring Telstra and tell them you've bought this house and this is the situation. You won't get fined. They may charge you a new connection fee due to work involved of putting on a joiner and running a new socket - or they may just charge you on an hourly fee.

Having worked for Telstra in the past, they may be hopeless but they are not unreasonable.

My PM received a quote from a data company...$1425. .

New trench and conduits should not be needed unless the old is damaged.

A telstra tech will just put a join either at the current end or back in the pit. If at the pit they attach the new cable to the old one in the conduit and generally can pull it through.

Way over the top!

Look - just ring Telstra and tell them you've bought this house and this is the situation. You won't get fined. They may charge you a new connection fee due to work involved of putting on a joiner and running a new socket - or they may just charge you on an hourly fee.

Having worked for Telstra in the past, they may be hopeless but they are not unreasonable.

I ended up getting Telstra to come out.....$60.48 they ended up giving me a discount due to the issues of getting it working! A lot cheaper then my previous quote.

Back