new multi unit development in Bonbeach (Chelsea) VIC

http://mordialloc-chelsea-leader.whereilive.com.au/news/story/residents-gagged-from-objecting/

Would having a large multi unit development site slapped in your medium density neighbourhood/street give you concern about the potential marketability of your IP/PPOR?

Apart from the obvious negative NIMBY initial reaction some people would take, would there be any positives to look for?

I am guessing for the developer it will be great, but I have my doubts that an 82 unit development on 4200sqm will get approved in a otherwise medium density suburban street.

I am guessing maybe the developer is going for shock and awe (or a typo :p ) initially with the 82 unit proposal, so when they go for the comprise a 20-30 plus unit site proposal will seem reasonable in comparison?

Disclaimer: I have an IP near the site so I maybe biased :p

http://mordialloc-chelsea-leader.whereilive.com.au/news/story/residents-gagged-from-objecting/

Would having a large multi unit development site slapped in your medium density neighbourhood/street give you concern about the potential marketability of your IP/PPOR?

Apart from the obvious negative NIMBY initial reaction some people would take, would there be any positives to look for?

I am guessing for the developer it will be great, but I have my doubts that an 82 unit development on 4200sqm will get approved in a otherwise medium density suburban street.

What the!?
I am guessing maybe the developer is going for shock and awe (or a typo :p ) initially with the 82 unit proposal, so when they go for the comprise a 20-30 plus unit site proposal will seem reasonable in comparison?

Disclaimer: I have an IP near the site so I maybe biased :p

Classic case of "Reciprocal Concessions" according to Robert B. Caildini in "Influence: The psychology of persuasion" (pg 36) - a great read!

Hi Jonril

The Catholic Primary School in Croydon was redeveloped by Westwater into about 100 townhouses, apartments and SOHO about seven years ago.

It has revitalised Main Street!

The Cinema has had a new lease on life, restaurants now offer dinner instead of just the lunch trade, the activity in the street of an evening has changed, it has been just wonderful for everyone in the area!

Bonbeach could do with some DINKS money. Lots of the shops are quite run down looking. It's a great area but time for a change and some new blood.

I would support such a development and I think that everyone benefits from such a major capital project. Woolworths has just spent $20million or thereabouts in redeveloping the Chelsea commercial precinct and the prosperity of an area increases dramatically with the new residents coming in.

and when their visitors come to see the bright shining new townhouse, they can see what a beautiful spot Bonbeach is, and look for their own property in the area. The ripple effect can be profound.

What is proposed is not a munitions factory or a nuclear waste dump. It is a quality residential housing project and I think it is a great idea!

Cheers
Kristine

Doubt this - the "medium density" component approval was part of the original re-zoning of an old TAFE site and redevelopment by VicUrban. Any objections were dealt with at that point. There will probably be no appeal process now.

I live very close and my biggest concern is the impact on traffic and parking...

Hi Jonril

The Catholic Primary School in Croydon was redeveloped by Westwater into about 100 townhouses, apartments and SOHO about seven years ago.

It has revitalised Main Street!

The Cinema has had a new lease on life, restaurants now offer dinner instead of just the lunch trade, the activity in the street of an evening has changed, it has been just wonderful for everyone in the area!

Bonbeach could do with some DINKS money. Lots of the shops are quite run down looking. It's a great area but time for a change and some new blood.

I would support such a development and I think that everyone benefits from such a major capital project. Woolworths has just spent $20million or thereabouts in redeveloping the Chelsea commercial precinct and the prosperity of an area increases dramatically with the new residents coming in.

and when their visitors come to see the bright shining new townhouse, they can see what a beautiful spot Bonbeach is, and look for their own property in the area. The ripple effect can be profound.

What is proposed is not a munitions factory or a nuclear waste dump. It is a quality residential housing project and I think it is a great idea!

Cheers
Kristine

That is great perspective Kristine. It is a shame the media seem to only go with one angle when reporting. The local carrum and chelsea traders could look forward to a boost to the local demographic.

I have seen some nice looking multi unit developments sprout up around Edithvale and Patterson Lakes in the last few years, so I am guessing there is a market for it.

I am still a bit skeptical with the numbers however. I am having a hard time rapping my head around 82 units on 4200sqm, I am trying to picture what it might look like. I don't think there is an equivalent development anywhere close by.

I still have a hunch someone has done some sloppy reporting and either the development site is much bigger or the unit amount has been mixed up somehow.

I'm with the "Raconteur"...... as usual, she's nailed it.

Jonril, the (land) value of adjoining properties is likely to increase with such precedent (and development interest) no matter what form of ultimate magnitude it takes ;)

Doubt this - the "medium density" component approval was part of the original re-zoning of an old TAFE site and redevelopment by VicUrban. Any objections were dealt with at that point. There will probably be no appeal process now.

I live very close and my biggest concern is the impact on traffic and parking...

According to the article the initial medium density component was to be a 19 unit site... If that is correct wouldn't a substantial difference to the proposal open up the approval process again?

The la perouse site and indeed the relative recent old TAFE + Royal st and Broadway st land release has increased local traffic already and I wouldn't say it has hit a critical stage yet, so I wouldn't think one more development would be a concern in regards to traffic.

Parking on the other hand could destroy the street appeal of brixton and other close by streets.

I have seen some nice looking multi unit developments sprout up around Edithvale and Patterson Lakes in the last few years, so I am guessing there is a market for it.

I am still a bit skeptical with the numbers however. I am having a hard time rapping my head around 82 units on 4200sqm, I am trying to picture what it might look like. I don't think there is an equivalent development anywhere close by.

Maybe its going to look a bit like the development that has just been completed on Edithvale Rd, Edithvale near the bowls club accross the road from the soccer and athletics track. There is alot of parking under the building.

Back