New or established home

Hi guys,

I have been reading about new or established home to start my IP portfolio.

Can you give your advices?

Thank you in advance.

New is generally more expensive - but there's more to depreciate.

Older is generally cheaper - usually less depreciation.

There's not much scope for value add/development/extension with new properties - there is with old.

I've personally never purchased new and don't intend on doing so anytime soon.

I could see the attraction in doing so if I were a first home buyer and there were significant concessions available which enable me to get into the market.

Cheers

Jamie

The 2 times we bought new we subequently regretted.

- Paid more (coz it was new and shiny)
- Had to fix more (many under warrantly but couldn't have tenants until done)
- Paid further for setting up phone connections, and things that were'nt included (eg blinds, curtains, door stops, light fittings)

The Y-man

Hi

Hi,

Well done on looking at buying your first IP.
Rather then worry about new vs old, maybe see what properties will fit your investment goal.

Are you looking at a hold property, A property to develop or even renovate?

Once you provide me with some scope, I am more than happy to provide you with an opinion that suits your goal.

Hi guys,

I have been reading about new or established home to start my IP portfolio.

Can you give your advices?

Thank you in advance.

Hi Dom

My opinions in a past article on this very subject attached FYI. There is no right or wrong response to this, as it will very much depend on your situation, risk profile and budget etc however you may find it helpful. Happy hunting!

Attachments

• old_vs_new.pdf
    201.8 KB · Views: 162
Hi Dom

My opinions in a past article on this very subject attached FYI. There is no right or wrong response to this, as it will very much depend on your situation, risk profile and budget etc however you may find it helpful. Happy hunting!

Thank you Jacque, Excellent article.

Hi,

Well done on looking at buying your first IP.
Rather then worry about new vs old, maybe see what properties will fit your investment goal.

Are you looking at a hold property, A property to develop or even renovate?

Once you provide me with some scope, I am more than happy to provide you with an opinion that suits your goal.

Hi JP,

Yes, I am looking for a property to develop and rent it after.

Thank you,

Back