New Privacy Laws

Just had a letter from my bank about the new privacy laws effective 12th March 2014.

It says, "...we may disclose your personal information to recipients located outside Australia, in countries including the Philippines, India, Singapore, New Zealand and the United States of America"

It was sent by the "Privacy Officer" of the bank, no name, just the title, I suppose it would breach privacy laws to publish his(her) name. So basically, you have no privacy at all.

I think this has to do with the new credit information laws.

Basically currently we are negatively
credit scored. Defaults and applications listed.

The new laws will include positive things such as on time payments, how much credit you currently have, and note when you close down an existing
credit facility.

Similar to the US system except this info cannot
be given to companies for marketing
purposes as is possible there.

Just had a letter from my bank about the new privacy laws effective 12th March 2014.

It says, "...we may disclose your personal information to recipients located outside Australia, in countries including the Philippines, India, Singapore, New Zealand and the United States of America"

It was sent by the "Privacy Officer" of the bank, no name, just the title, I suppose it would breach privacy laws to publish his(her) name. So basically, you have no privacy at all.

The privacy officer is a actual named person. Its a listing rule with ASX too. Imagine its someone earning $350K a year. Doing nothing but pat peeps on the head. Check the website. Wont have a name cause its like asking to speak to "manager". I had a privacy issue with Westpac and spoke to their privacy officer - She was very helpful and wrote back two weeks later to admit a software glitch and ithad been corrected. As long as they tell you all you info can be given to the shysters in India doing SEO services. (Their web developers ?). I want to a full bank staff email list and I will share it with every spam merchant I can find !!!

And I'm Paul and I have NEVER received a single cent. Peter takes from me too.

I had the pleasure of reading a couple of privacy statements from companies tendering on portfolio property management services.

They clearly state that the information provided by tenants/landlords can be disclosed in the course of business to those parties who may legitimately have a use for it: eg: tenant's details can be provided to lessor, ato, auditors, govt etc likewise they may use your details for advertising etc (our clients include XYZ shopping centre trust or whoever).

How many times have you been told by the agent that they cannot disclose this information - tell them to read their own privacy statements. :eek:

Back