New property transaction system 'will save homebuyers'

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/07/02/2292583.htm?section=justin

The federal and state governments have agreed to a new system to settle property transactions, which they say will save homebuyers hundreds of dollars.

Under the changes, all conveyancing transactions will be settled electronically.

The scheme will be given final approval when the Prime Minister meets state and territory leaders at tomorrow's Council of Australian Governments (COAG) meeting in Sydney.

Federal Finance Minister Lindsay Tanner says it is another step towards creating a seamless national economy.

"This replaces the end of the conveyancing process, the final stage of buying or selling a house where you have to get lawyers and bankers together, exchanging documents and cheques," he said.

"Then a lawyer has to go down to the titles office and hand over money. All of that stuff costs a lot of money and it's barely changed since the time of Charles Dickens."

If it even remotely resembles Queensland's foray into paperless titles years ago, then it will be a complete and total shambles!!!

Cheers
LynnH

I highly doubt it will be implemented successfully. Property conveyancing is a very complicated thing to begin with, then add on the various different regulations in each state...

Even if it did worked, i would still get a solicitor, too much at stake for a saving of a little bit of money (well, relatively little)

Property settlements can be quite complex on the day, especially with multiple properties settling at once. I'd rather have someone down there working on my behalf otherwise I would have been messed up a few times on settlement day now.

which they say will save homebuyers hundreds of dollars

Yeah that's a real issue for me! The $18,000 I paid for stamp duty and LTO fees last month was fine, but that $250 conveyancing fee was just obscene! :rolleyes:

Back