New push bike laws

My car rego is around $900pa. So what would bike rego be? $50? $100? - Couldn't be less, or it would cost more to administer that it brings in. An adult who uses a bike as transport, or serious fitness would undoubtedly pay that.

But what about kids and adults who use a bike for recreation? So will a family of four pay $200-400 pa to register their bikes for occasional use?

Bike riders have virtually the same rights and responsibilities as other road users currently (increasing fines for bikes to be commensurate with motor vehicles will correct an anomaly).

Enforcement of the rules? Bikes are highly unlikely to be caught by automatic detection systems. They're highly unlikely to pass through a speed camera at enough speed and get fined and just as unlikely to be detected by a red light camera. So registering them would make no difference. Registering them would also make no difference for police to manually enforce regulations.

So IMO it comes down to "why should bikes get free road access"?

A small motorcycle is about $130pa, so if cyclists paid $100pa it shouldn't be an issue.

Enforcement of rules?? Just because it's harder it doesn't mean they should not pay any rego. First and foremost rego is a personal injury insurance.

Cyclist do cause accidents too, so why should they be exempt?

My cousins daughter who lives in Perth (at one stage a high ranking tennis player) was run over by an adult cyclist who mounted a footpath, and ended up fracturing her 'playing' shoulder.

There was no insurance for her like there would have been had she been in a car that smashed into her.

I don't ride a bike because shaving my legs each day would be onerous.

I have now fitted my vehicle with a wooden 1 metre ruler which extends to the left of my vehicle. It will take a while to get 1 metre exactly right so I am hoping for an enforcement grace period.

A small motorcycle is about $130pa, so if cyclists paid $100pa it shouldn't be an issue.

Enforcement of rules?? Just because it's harder it doesn't mean they should not pay any rego. First and foremost rego is a personal injury insurance.

Cyclist do cause accidents too, so why should they be exempt?

My cousins daughter who lives in Perth (at one stage a high ranking tennis player) was run over by an adult cyclist who mounted a footpath, and ended up fracturing her 'playing' shoulder.

There was no insurance for her like there would have been had she been in a car that smashed into her.

No they aren't, they're not even half the size.

Look, bike riders have just as much right to use the road as you do. If you don't like it, don't use the road. I freely admit that sometimes I'm a little bit reckless on my bike and I take full responsibility for that, but I can tell you mate, some car drivers have absolutely no regard for bike riders (having said that, most do, which is great). The amount of times I've had cars cut right in front of me, thereby putting my life at risk is ridiculous.
Did you recognize yourself in the video ?
Why are you having a go at me? please read my first post properly and it clearly states that everyone should be able to ride a bike if they feel they want to

I freely admit that sometimes I'm a little bit reckless on my bike and I take full responsibility for that
You freely admit that you take risks and you take responsibility for it but what about the poor 21 year old P plate driver or anyone for that matter,that did no wrong and runs you over and gets arrested and their life stuffed up because you rode in front of him/her because you felt it was your right.

How do you feel that cyclists benefit from personal insurance that negligent motorists pay, yet injury victims of cyclists have to resort to a long drawn out personal lawsuits to get compensation, assuming there is anything to get out of the cyclist in the first place - unlike with insurance.

On another instance I had a cyclist cut across my path causing me to swerve to the other side of the road risking a head on.

Fortunately there was no other traffic around and there was no head on, but just pointing out that even though cyclists come out worse off, the car driver isn't always the one at fault.

I don't ride a bike because shaving my legs each day would be onerous.

I have now fitted my vehicle with a wooden 1 metre ruler which extends to the left of my vehicle. It will take a while to get 1 metre exactly right so I am hoping for an enforcement grace period.

Exactly the mentality of a ****w!t motorist.

This is similar to having your daughter raped or your son king hit, simply by being there. They are out enjoying them self with a group of friends, and suddenly some preditor just thinks it's their right to endanger someone else.

Good one son!

pinkboy

I think there needs to be rego for Id purposes. I am seriously considering installing dash cams on both the work utes.

Painter, what is your unit, how much did it cost and how long does it record for?

Cheap ebay one's,I have three vehicles and they all have one and I make a point of making sure I never drive anywhere without one of them.
Make sure it auto starts and auto stops,therefore it never needs to be touched or thought about until you need it.
I have 32gb cards and I get around 9 hours of footage and then it just copies over the oldest data.
I am thinking about upgrading to HD but then you dont get the same amount of footage before it overwrites it.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-5-LCD-...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19d289603d

Cards are 32GB SD extra.
They also have audio so have helped me in the past when workers have had the vehicle,Pub stops,bagging the boss,lying about work hours etc.
Good when the police waved me through the stop sign and gave me a ticket as well.:mad:

Did you recognize yourself in the video ?
Why are you having a go at me? please read my first post properly and it clearly states that everyone should be able to ride a bike if they feel they want to

I freely admit that sometimes I'm a little bit reckless on my bike and I take full responsibility for that
You freely admit that you take risks and you take responsibility for it but what about the poor 21 year old P plate driver or anyone for that matter,that did no wrong and runs you over and gets arrested and their life stuffed up because you rode in front of him/her because you felt it was your right.

Woo! Hit a bit of a nerve there, didn't I! I don't recall questioning your statement that anyone can ride a bike, I called you out on your claim that bike lanes are just as big or bigger than the car lanes, which is nonsense.

Secondly, I don't ride in front of cars, I ride as close as possible to the left and try to stay well away from cars.

To the guy that made the post about installing the wooden ruler on your car. Sometimes, when I'm out riding and some jackass in his or her car does something stupid, I think to myself 'Geez I wish I carried a crowbar, that car would look real nice with large dent in the side of it'.

Last edited by a moderator:
The comment about the ruler followed up on a comment about shaving legs. It was mean to be a light hearted comment about ensuring that he keep the minimum distance away from bicycles. It was not meant to be a serious comment about trying to hurt cyclists.

Exactly the mentality of a ****w!t motorist.

This is similar to having your daughter raped or your son king hit, simply by being there. They are out enjoying them self with a group of friends, and suddenly some preditor just thinks it's their right to endanger someone else.

Good one son!

pinkboy

Ha ha. You're a touchy bunch. I'm not the best or the worst motorist. Just somewhere in the middle.

The comment about the ruler followed up on a comment about shaving legs. It was mean to be a light hearted comment about ensuring that he keep the minimum distance away from bicycles. It was not meant to be a serious comment about trying to hurt cyclists.

So it's all fun and games until someone actually does this?

It's only a matter of time as it has been said in many 4wd forums - in some cases with inclusion of a sharp implement!

Double standard moderating. The poster made reference to injuring someone without due care.

pinkboy

I can't help but think drivers who wish cyclists to pay rego are just annoyed about paying rego themselves.

If they cared about fair, wouldn't they be focussed on the disparity between the value of rego for someone who drives 5KM a week (virtually no wear and tear on roads) and one who drives 500km a week (far more wear than their rego would cover! ).
How is this fair?

Most countries you can ride a bike without a helmet or without paying $50-$100 rego (or minimal fees). Why the intolerance in Australia?

Its bad enough that its hardly safe enough for kids to walk or ride to school, now we want to slug them for the privilege of risking their lives as well?

I ride plenty, sometimes 300k including commutes. I ride with the attitude that everyone in a car is out to kill me and speaking to various knobs, many claim to have zero respect for bike riders and feel they should be banned from the road. That maybe 1% of the population, but if you get that moron on a bad day you may end up in hospital or worse so best to respect the 2 ton beasts and hope one day there will be more tolerance for pushyies in Australia.

Sounds like the problem is finally solved,is there a small number plate as well?

No just a sticker on the frame. In most European countries you're free to ride on the footpath (or even obliged to). I prefer this to dealing with the high risk from unsafe and irresponsible car drivers, though it is a little slower.

I treat cyclists with great respect and keep well away. About 25 years ago i opened my passenger door as a cyclist was between our car and the footpath. Legally i believe we were both doing the wrong thing. I was getting out of a car stopped in heavy traffic at a red light and he was passing our car on the left (in the gutter).

I was just thankful he wasn't hurt.

My friend went to the funeral last week of the ex-girlfriend of her son. He spent years trying to turn professional cyclist and the beautiful young lady was also a serious cyclist. She was killed whilst riding with her dad. I think she went under a truck. So tragic and such a waste of a young life.

Regardless of what any cyclist is doing I keep well clear. I would never want to live with the consequences of an accident.

Hi all,
This topic always generates a lot of debate but vary rarely any facts. The facts are that death is a bigger consequence than being held up for 30 seconds:
"In the fifteen years from 1991 to 2005, 665 cyclists were killed in road crashes." With 46 cyclists killed in 2013 the trend continues. I like a joke more than most but the big stick out the side of the car thing when I commute on bike is a bit close to home for me. Lost count of the amount of close calls I have had, as have most cyclists I would bet.
From 1996-2000
"The most common type of crash in which cyclists were fatally injured was the cyclist being hit from behind by a motor vehicle travelling in the same lane in the same direction. Cyclists riding on rural roads are particularly at risk of being run over from behind. From 1996 to 2004, there were at least 58 cases where a cyclist was run over by a motor vehicle coming from behind. This kind of crash occurred in urban as well as in rural areas but 38 cases occurred on rural roads, most during the day."
Like this: http://youtu.be/bLAuktN2N10

"In over 60 per cent of crashes, the cyclist was deemed to be ?responsible? for the action that precipitated the fatal crash. This was particularly the case in crashes at intersections where the cyclist was either riding through the intersection on the road or moving from the footway onto the intersection. Cyclists were also found to be primarily responsible in other crashes where the cyclist moved from the footway to the road." A large proportion of these deaths were 5- 17 year old failing to give way crossing intersections etc. This data seems to indicate these kids are getting killed travelling to and from school/wherever while crossing the road from the footpath not looking. Certainly for our kids the footpath is not working out that well
I can?t find any data of how many car drivers were killed after a collision with a cyclist?.

How is registration, labels, etc going to fix this?

Stats: http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/safety/publications/2006/pdf/death_cyclists_road.pdf

Back