New push bike laws

I liked the idea of putting vibration lines along the bike path to help with seperation.

I really don't think the issue between bikes and cars is going to get solved without putting in the infrastructure to adequately seperate bikes and cars. The problem isn't that motorists are idiots and can't operate safely or bike riders are idiots and can't operate safely. The problem is that everyone everywhere is an idiot and can't operate safely, at least some of the time. The infrastructure is there for pedestrians. No one is expecting pedestrians to walk on the road and have cars try to pass them. The infrastructure gets installed to keep them seperate and safe. But when it comes to bikes...although they sometimes go the same speed as pedestrians (up hills, etc...) they are expected to ride in amongst trucks and cars. Whichever way you try to slice it, it's a rubbish situation for everyone involved.

I don't understand the combative attitude towards the whole situation.

Sometimes I get stuck behind a truck. Sometimes a Learner. Sometimes a cyclist. If you can't deal with small delays without descending to primordial levels of rage I don't think it is safe for you to have a license.

I saw, about 20 minutes ago, a family in a car, with young kids at the back, swerve at a group of cyclists, blow the horn and continually stop in front of them. Their crime? To be safely riding in the cycle lane to the side of the road. Why? Because the driver was an idiot. He's been reported to the police. By me.

Yeah, some cyclists do the wrong thing. So what? So do some drivers, some pedestrians, some motorised scooter users, some pogo stick users. But so what?

Just have some patience and a bit of respect on the road.

One time a few years ago, I was driving my brothers' car and did something so incredibly stupid, it's a miracle I didn't cause an accident or injure someone. I mean, it was so ridiculously stupid that even now, I facepalm over it.

I am however, glad it happened the way it did, because I am now always really careful and attentive and patient while driving. If I find myself getting upset or impatient, I just tell myself to take a deep breath, relax and deal with the situation at hand.

So at least *something* good came out of it.

I'd be interested to know the difference between cyclist offences and motorist offences in Queensland over the Easter break........

pinkboy

Back