New suburb in Melbourne

yes i saw that article as well

well, i will admit to having absolutely no idea of new estates....

do these estates in terms of property prices do better when they first open or later or not at all

I would be interested to see if anyone with experience could tell me

It looks like this suburb will be closer to Melbourne than Melton. What effects will it have on Melton's price?

forumite

I'm pretty sure that Toolern is basically Melton South, but on the East or Melbourne side and will border Melton, but I could be wrong. I only see this development benefiting the area especially with the predicted employment prospects and improved infrastructure.

It has full govt backing so what could go wrong .... :rolleyes:

Mystery

Does that mean Toolern should be preferred over Melton???

I am looking to buy an IP for less than $350 k. I know Toolern will be a long term investment but it's going to be affordable for sure.

Does that mean Toolern should be preferred over Melton???

I am looking to buy an IP for less than $350 k. I know Toolern will be a long term investment but it's going to be affordable for sure.

That's what I am thinking as it will be nearer to Melbourne, newer, cheaper and with plans to create massive employment.

Maybe, it will keep a lid on Melton's prices, what do others thnk?

anyone know where i can view the master plan of toolern?

how many kms from melbourne will it be?

I'm not sure about the master plan JD86, ... but the Melton Shire council web site has these reports online - Future Urban Structure Plan and the Toolern Precinct Structure Plans ... http://www.melton.vic.gov.au/Page/Page.asp?Page_Id=1951&h=1&p=1 - They may help answer any questions you may have (I have just had a look at the plans, ... definitely read the Precinct Structure Plan).

Toolern appears to border Melton township on the West side. I'm not sure what the Distance is from Melbourne. Maybe one of the locals can post more accurately.

If you have a look at the map on the previous link mentioned by Paul Thewlis - http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...push-city-limits/story-e6frf7kx-1225945349765 - it shows the overlay of where Toolern is situated .... it looks like it is basically an expansion of Melton.

Anyway ... it has to be very good news for the area.

Mystery

Toolern is to Melton what Williams Landing is to Laverton or Hoppers Crossing.

Expensive new subdivisions that make the older tired areas look great value.

Provided the infrastructure is there (it's on a train line, a station is planned, but construction is unknown and services are currently only country trains) Toolern should be more in demand than suburbs that were built with no infrastructure/services (eg Caroline Springs).

But still a lot of ifs and risks as governments don't always build promised infrastructure, and a nearby established area with it all there today might be safer (especially if its houses are selling for under replacement value).

I'm in Bacchus Marsh, 15 minutes out of Melton. I might be able to add a bit.

Toolern will be on the SouthEast edge of Melton, right now the major attractions are a new TAB race track which clogs the freeway exit on Friday evenings, and the local tip.

The railway line runs through the middle of Toolern, and it is urban rail, not rural. Should be an easy matter to bang in a station, though they'll prolly make people use the station in neighbouring Melton South for a while yet.

While Melton South has the railway line, the other side of the freeway has all the good mediacl, shopping, leisure centre and better housing. I'm guessing it will be a while yet before Toolern attracts better shops and facilities. Education would also be an issue as there are more schools on the other side of the freeway, the western suburbs has very few good public schools and the state govt has a policy of merging schools into megaschools. Not sure what they will do here but as a parent I would rather sit back and watch this develop.

There is new road infrastructure making Melbourne about 45 minutes away from Melton. Toolern might be about 3 minutes closer than that. The Melton facilities will be 10-15min from Toolern.

My best bet would be that the beginning of Toolern would make Melton proper a great prospect. Toolern will bring even more people to the area, but people will still crowd toward the facilities. As it develops Toolern will get it's own facilities, then it will be worth a look.

Looking further into the future, the whole area between Melton and Caroline Springs will be gradually openned up to housing over the next 30 years. It's a massive area. There will need to be another entirely new shopping precinct, probably around Rockbank where there is currently a tractor dealership and a smattering of houses. There is a question mark over all that land because the goverment want to tax sales to developers to pay for schools etc. Quite clever because in the one policy they've kept a lid on land prices, enchouraged developers and raised money for infrastructure (but racked off land holders). Makes me wonder whether land banking could work here because the tax is fixed per hectare so in 10years it will have less effect on your profit, even though it keeps values in check for now.

Last edited:
So true!

This is what I have been doing.....go past the new houses and but the older brick veneer houses , tidy them up and rent them. Worked so far.

Toolern is to Melton what Williams Landing is to Laverton or Hoppers Crossing.

Expensive new subdivisions that make the older tired areas look great value.

Provided the infrastructure is there (it's on a train line, a station is planned, but construction is unknown and services are currently only country trains) Toolern should be more in demand than suburbs that were built with no infrastructure/services (eg Caroline Springs).

But still a lot of ifs and risks as governments don't always build promised infrastructure, and a nearby established area with it all there today might be safer (especially if its houses are selling for under replacement value).

Back