New Telephone Connection

Hi
If a tennant moves into a brand new property who is responsible for the first telephone connection - $190.00 - the landlord or the tennant?

Hiya Jewell

You are responsible for the 'new' connection. The tenant will present the paid invoice to the PM and only have to pay the difference between what is owed in rent (say 2 weeks in advance) and the phone bill.

Pedro

I don't think (and I could be wrong) that the landlord has an obligation to install a telephone line, but I doubt a tenant would rent a property which doen't have a line installed. Given that the market is quite tight in some areas, consider what it might cost if you don't install the line.

The connection fee and any subsiquent lines are almost certainly the tenants responsiblity.

This is not legal advice. If you call consumer affairs, they could probably tell you what the bottom line is.

I don't know how it is in Victoria, but in NSW there is no obligation for the landlord to even supply a telephone line, let alone contribute to the connection of the line as it's not considered an 'essential service'. It is the tenant's responsibility for connection and payment of connection, whether it be new or not.

Having said that though, most of my rent roll was made up of brand new property. The tenant always got annoyed by paying a higher telephone connection because it was new, so I always made the landlord aware that they were going to be asked to pay half, which they never disagreed to.

JoannaK,

It may not be a requirement in NSW, but as a landlord, given the recent Telstra stuff-up with the child that died due to lack of a phone, I would definitely consider providing the phone connection at my own cost....

I can just see a landlord being sued by a tenant due to the lack of a phone connection causing the tenant to be unable to call for help when a serious injury occurs on-premise....

Cheers,

Aceyducey

I don't see how a property owner could be sued under PL for lack of a phone line (esp if tenants knew this).

However, were a property owner to refuse a tenants request to install a phone line on the basis that it would mean cutting holes in the wall, etc, that is another issue.

If a house has been leased w/o a phone line and the tenants knew this when they signed the lease, then I would argue that the legal obligation is not on the landlord to pay for the installation.

Morally, however, it would probably be more equitable to split the cost.

I think that it all comes down to demand and supply and the relative bargaining power of each party.

It is also worth noting that in some backwards parts of Australia, such as Canberra, where the infrastructure is ***** and the service not much better, phone connections can take weeks.

And btw. I am speaking from experience (twice).

MB

G'day Guys,

Just been thru this scenario on 2 new units in Tasmania.

I paid the difference in cost between the new connection fee and what the tenant would normally pay to have a connection put on in their name. Approx $59.00 from memory for the tenant and about $13?.00 something per unit for me.

It would not be a good way to start a tenant/landlord relationship that is hopefully going to a long term thing.

Cheers
watto

What if-

.You connected the phonel in your name
.Got the receipt in your name
.Asked the tenant for a 50% contribution
.You claimed as a deduction

Whoops, no, that would not be legal. A pity. Both parties might have been happy with that.

Originally posted by geoffw
What if-

.You connected the phonel in your name
.Got the receipt in your name
.Asked the tenant for a 50% contribution
.You claimed as a deduction

Whoops, no, that would not be legal. A pity. Both parties might have been happy with that.

Geoff
Doesn't that mean you would also get the bills in your name?

We build lots of new propertiesnad this problem arises every time.
In Victoria to get a certificate of compliance from the council to enable us to get our plan of subdivision a builder /developer must supply a phone line to each dwelling and Telstra must sign off this this has been done.

We also prewire the units internally. Our poilicy is to put a phone point in each bedroom and in the kitchen. We routinely prewire all units with computer cabling as well.

Then it is up to the tenant to pay for the connection for the dwelling to the phone compnay. The first time someone connects their is an extra fee. Apparently there is an even greater fee is they chose to use Optus as a service provider.

I understand that there is no obligation for the landlord to pay the connection fee in Victoria, but we tend to for our own properties as we want to start a good relationship with the tenant.

G'day

I am in the process of connecting a new line to my new IP. I am confused, however. Can I claim this expense as a legimate deduction. In WA it costs $209. I have agreed to pay the whole amount.

The phone is connected in the tenant's name. Can I claim?

Cheers

Jerry N

Back a few years ago I actually took my landlord /real estate agent to small claims court and won for not installing a telephone line into a recently built unit. For the cost of $12 the judge advised that in queensland a telephone line is a essential utility and needs to installed by the owner, similar to a stove/sink, hot water heater and electricity etc. I love it when the little guy wins!

Most tenants understand that they'll have to cough up the connection fee, but they do expect the line to be installed before they move in. I'm guessing that in most cases a tribunal will rule in favour of the tenant. It may even be a justifyable reason to break a lease - according to a tribunal.

Back