Newbie questions about granny flat

Hi guys, I'm going to buy my second IP soon and would like to build a granny flat for extra income :D

Back ground information about the IP

609 SQM and can have separate exit as is corner block.

1. Any recommanded granny flat builder around western sydney area?
2. What is the approximate cost for 2 bed rooms granny flat?
3. Can I have separate water/electricity meter?

Hi guys, I'm going to buy my second IP soon and would like to build a granny flat for extra income :D

1. Not sure. Not my area.
2. $80,000 to $110,000 finished product.
3. Electricity is no problem.
If you get the water company to install a meter you will pay extra services. Get it done yourself then get the agent to work out the usage ie Install it between the house and flat.

Cheers

1. Granny Flats Australia http://www.grannyflatsaustralia.com.au/
2. $100~120k depending on inclusions.
3. Yes to separate electricity meter.
Water meter - Sydney water one, no. But you can install your own so then you can get the tenants to give you a reading so you can split it correctly.
You wouldnt want sydney water to put in a meter for you cos then they would slug you 2 lots of water supply and sewerage (ie 2x $145).

thanks guys :) very helpful information

had another look at the house today and sadly I noticed there is some or possible structure damage.

Does any one know any structural engineer out the western Sydney way ? (Just want to see the cost fixing the issue)

Last edited:
Hi nek,

Thanks for posting your experiences. Having only seen your plans the only change I would consider is to have the bathroom door on the other side closer to the other room and rearrange the toilet/laundary/sink so the toilet is not as visible from the kitchen/living areas.

No worries.

I think it was designed like that so its easier to get the bath tub and vanity unit in and out if I ever had to replace it.

Also, because the washing machine is in the laundry, having an opening in its current design also makes it easier move it in and take it out.

Its also easier to run to the toilet if you really need to go :p

But in all seriousness, what you're saying would look neater. :)

Rather than starting a new thread i thought i'd post a really quick question here.

For those of you with granny flats, how do you handle incoming mail for the tenants? Do they share your mailbox?

Nah, we splash out and buy a 2nd letterbox from Bunnings or wherever and slap an "A" on it.

Thats what ive done. Works fine for electricity, telephone, internet. Not necessary for water this is paid by the property owner.

Ive got a separate water meter so I then work it out and send the bill back to the tenant.

So lets say i build a granny flat and the market appraisal for rent is $400/week. Things like electricity/gas and water would be charged extra to the tenant on consumption, correct?

What about Internet, Phone, Foxtel/TV etc? Is it up to the tenant to organise these services, or is this something i would provide and add to the rent? Our main dwelling already has all these services, so they could be easily connected to the proposed granny flat.

The granny flat would be a new build so the thought of each subsequent tenant choosing different service providers for the above and therefore running new cables, drilling holes etc doesn't sit well with me.

So lets say i build a granny flat and the market appraisal for rent is $400/week.
That would be some granny flat - but OK. (more like $250pw)

Things like electricity/gas and water would be charged extra to the tenant on consumption, correct?
Tenant pay for utilities if they are metered separately.

What about Internet, Phone, Foxtel/TV etc? Is it up to the tenant to organise these services, or is this something i would provide and add to the rent?
Tenant's own responsibility to pay.

Our main dwelling already has all these services, so they could be easily connected to the proposed granny flat.
OK

The granny flat would be a new build so the thought of each subsequent tenant choosing different service providers for the above and therefore running new cables, drilling holes etc doesn't sit well with me.
Choosing a different service provider does not mean a new lot of cables each time. They don't re-run cables when you change electricity provider / ISP / gas provider.

But even if they did, $400pw can plug an awful lot of drilled holes. That's $20K pa - what's the issue? :confused:

That would be some granny flat - but OK. (more like $250pw)

I think $400 is even conservative... we are in Sydney's northern beaches and are thinking about a more executive style granny flat to attract professionals with no kids. We looked at a display from a mob who are targeting the top end of the market. http://www.2dwellhomes.com/ They had rental appraisals from previous builds in the area for $550

Have a look at rentals in the area.

Back