News - Brisbane wages surge ahead - Courier Mail - 14th Aug '07

I read in a thread a little while back (can't remember exactly which one) but the discussion was "why don't more people move to Brisbane." Someone said that the wages are well below that of other capital cities. This article is proof that is changing...
Good sign for the Brisbane property market, where I have just bought!

Brisbane wages surge ahead

Article from: MX

Anna Edwards of mX

August 14, 2007 04:28pm

THE salary gap between the capital cities has closed, with Brisbane's
average yearly salaries catching up to, and in some industries overtaking,
Sydney and Melbourne.

No longer do Brisbane professionals have to give up their sun-soaked
lifestyle in search of better money.

According to an annual salary survey by recruitment company Hays, the mining
and resource boom in Queensland, coupled with a nationwide skills shortage,
means the state's employers have had to start raising salaries and
introducing employer incentives to retain local employees and entice workers
from other states.

Jobs in information technology in Brisbane now earned more money than other
states, with an IT manager position paying an average of $120,000 compared
with $115,000 in Sydney and $110,000 in Melbourne.

Marketing wages in Brisbane jumped 5.8 per cent in the past year, compared
with just a 1 per cent jump in Sydney and Melbourne.

A top marketing professional in Brisbane or Melbourne can expect a wage of
$200,000.

Civil and structural engineers were also closing the gap between states,
with Brisbane and Sydney workers earning up to $120,000, compared with
$100,000 in Melbourne.

The biggest growth area in the state was human resources, Hays Queensland
regional director Paula Kirwan said.

These days a graduate HR professional could ask for an average wage of
$45,000 and those at the top of their careers could command $200,000.

"These days a graduate HR professional could ask for an average wage of
$45,000 and those at the top of their careers could command $200,000."

Absolutely on the mark. I have to confess I am one of those terrible HR people:eek: , and my Brisbane wage is 30k higher than what I earned in Sydney. My lifestyle has not taken the "hit" I was told it would when I made the decision to move to QLD. Everyone was saying "it will cost you 20k at least to go to QLD", not so.... not so at all.

I would suggest right across the board wages have increased. When I used to advertise for a reception/ admin person (2 yrs ago) I would receive 160 or more applications. Now I get about 10-15. I used to pay 18k for a junior (17-18yo) and 28-30k for a senior. Now I have just started a 19yo and am paying over 30k to 34k and I know of some paying 35-38k.

Everyone I know in business is now paying a lot more for staff because of shortages.
Frankly I hope Labour gets back into power and stuffs up the economy, employment and gets rid of work choices, Liberal is costing me too much :D

Even my son, at 14, gets $9.38 per hr at Maccas. I was expecting he'd be on about $5. Wages are increasing which can only mean one thing.....

Kev
www.gogecko.com.au

My lifestyle has not taken the "hit" I was told it would when I made the decision to move to QLD. Everyone was saying "it will cost you 20k at least to go to QLD", not so.... not so at all.
Same here... We got told the same thing when we moved up here in 2001... We were often told "Don't do it... You will never be able to get back into the Sydney market" & "Watch out for all the real estate sharks up there"... Irony is, we can now easily afford to get back into the Sydney market but don't want to because of the lifestyle up here. Best thing we have ever done, apart from our beautiful kids of course.
Steve

Shortage of IT skills here in Bris. I had 3 positions advertised - no quality applicants !! pm me anyone with .NET skills wanting a 12 months job with view to become permanent ??

emmm...why would you want more people to move there?
I thought Brisbane was full and it was also running out of water....:confused:

I want more people to move here to increase the values of my properties:D. Supply & demand... the increased demand forces the prices up:)
Steve

Yep, Brisbane full...but there are HEAPS of outlying suburbs and nearby areas, many of which have been discussed at length in other threads here. Still lots of opportunities IMHO.

re water, yep...is a problem, though its pelting down in North West Brisbane at the moment - YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

These days a graduate HR professional could ask for an average wage of
$45,000 and those at the top of their careers could command $200,000

I work in a mine north of WA where a HR graduate starts at $90000 a year

Back