Nice try PM!

We've been renting the last 8 months (QLD), and have just finished a fixed lease and moved to periodic (by default). Looking at buying a PPOR, so didn't want to sign another fixed term and advised the agent as such. The owner wants us to sign up again for their 'financial security'.

Today we received RTA Form 11, Notice to Remedy Breach, from the agents. The breach - "Failure to return General Tenancy Agreement for period xx to xx."

Lol. :D Nice try :rolleyes:

Trying to decide whether to ignore it, lodge a dispute or issue them with a similar style notice! ;)

It may be more than just financial security. Some insurance companies will not cover a claim for rent arrears if a lease is not fixed term.

In our office, in most circumstances, tenants have a choice of fixed term or vacant posession.

Sure, or they may need it to support a loan application or something.

Not saying the desire to have us sign another fixed lease is invalid, just admiring their 'creative' (and dodgy) way of encouraging us to do so ;)

In victoria is you have not signed this
you can claim back ALL the fees they have charged you
over the period that this has not been in place.

Hi Ger, I'm the tenant in this instance, not the owner.

The points is that not signing another fixed lease isn't a breach. It's a scare tactic that I hadn't heard of before. Anyone here use it on their tenants?

I wouldn't bother f****** around with ya.

I'd simply issue you with a 60 day vacate notice. No reason needed.

You could sit and twiddle your thumbs whilst deciding which way in someone else's property.

I've seen tenant's "We are thinking of purchasing our own home" as an unsecured tenant for over 5 years. Owners need their head read if they allow that.

Last edited:
maybe consider a 6 month Lease. or 3-4 month if that is allowed. Its shorter and gives both u and the LL the opportunity to go your own ways.

Hi Ger, I'm the tenant in this instance, not the owner.

The points is that not signing another fixed lease isn't a breach. It's a scare tactic that I hadn't heard of before. Anyone here use it on their tenants?

No, and never would.

That is not treating them with respect, or respecting their intelligence (unless they display a reoccurring lack of it), and they may repay you in kind.

But, we always ask the tenants to re-sign for another term. Most do.

But if they have been good tenants, and ask for a periodical, we usually say yes. Not our preferred choice, but it's still tenanted with tenants you know.

This has happened a couple of times.

Lol, Dazz, at least I'd know where I stand :D I'm curious - if after you issued a vacate notice I then agreed to sign another fixed term, would you allow?

Bayview comment "That is not treating them with respect, or respecting their intelligence" is probably part of the reason I bothered posting this. Because of this notice I've got the impression that the owner isn't the brightest spark on the planet, but I may be wrong.

A real short lease might be an option, but the agent (who sounds a little frustrated herself) doesn't even seem to know the particular reason (if there is one) as to why the owner wants another fixed lease (which would affect whether a 3 month lease is useful).

Back