nightmare removalist

Moved house today... what a nightmare.
I was late booking a removalist, and the one I'd planned to use ended up being booked out.
So, I booked this alternative one, who seemed fine. I booked 3 men, cause our new PPOR is over 4 levels, and a bit complicated.
They sent 3 guys.. only problem was 2 of them were on their first day in the job. They didnt know how to stack cartons onto the trolley, let alone moving furniture. they couldnt speak or read a word of English.. not even bedroom or bathroom, so we had to give them directions for each box.
They arrived at 8am, and didnt end up finishing until 10pm, and we were paying on an hourly rate. I rang to complain at lunch time, when it was clear that all wasnt going to plan. I felt sorry for the 1 guy who was good.. he was a subcontractor, and has to pay these other 2 jokers...... but felt more sorry for us. I'll be on the phone first thing in the morning to make our complaint. We had to pay the guy tonight, but I'm going to be pushing for a refund!!

How long would you expect a removalist to take for a 4 bed house, which is already packed into boxes? and how much would you expect to pay?

They had to do bubble wrap on artworks and some glass tops. they dismantled one bed, but didnt end up putting anything back together, cause they were so slow. So now, we still need to move things around tomorrow as well as unpack and reassemble stuff that we were planning for them to be able to do for us.

very frustrating!! :mad::mad:

Can't remember what we paid last time we moved. I would have expected $3-4,000 with the amount of stuff we had. I guess looking on the bright side, Penny, you're in the new house well before Christmas and nothing got broken. It was a long day, but it always is.

Our last move ~ 8 years ago into our current 4 bedroom house cost $550 and took about 4 hours. It's single level though and a pretty uncomplicated design. I would probably expect to pay twice that for a double or higher storey house.

Just moved a friend recently from Ryde to Hornsby 2 men with Van @ $40 an hour.
I believe you can get some uni students in Sydney CBD for $20 bucks an hour. :eek:

We moved recently from a 2-storey house to another 2-storey house and it cost us around $350 for nearly 5 hrs (2 guys; everything was boxed). The going rate for 'ordinary' removalists (usually Asians in our area) is 60-65 per hour plus appearance fee (???). Nothing was damaged except for minor scratches but I still wouldn't recommend them as they were constantly fighting and shouting in their own language and constantly complained of the 'heavy' boxes :rolleyes: One was even wearing an office attire and leather shoes! :eek: I guess you get what you pay for. I know someone who was very happy with their removalist but paid 5x more than us :eek:

imo you thought it took them too long
state out why it took longer than expected
work out there hourly rate x the amount of hrs u think it should of taken them if competent and say you will only pay that
or say your not paying that hourly rate for people that cant do the job and say you will only pay $x an hr by how many hrs they took (working it out less than what it would the other way)

I've used the same removalist company a couple of times. They're not cheap, but I reckon moving house is stressful enough without having to worry about the removalist. When I was younger I did a couple of DIY moves, but I'd rather pay someone these days.

Last time there were six blokes - four of them islanders. Interestingly, the skinny white bloke matched the islanders in what he could carry. They all knew what they were doing. It took a whole day. You know those really big trucks with a rear door and a centre door? They filled that by 10am and had to get a second smaller truck.

Our of curiosity, I did a chair count and discovered we had 67 chairs. And there was a piano and some other tricky things. There were a fair few paintings. But the killer was probably the books. I'm guessing back then we had well over 5,000 of them.

Never again - that was our last move.

Scott

We moved last week and paid $950 for a 4 bed house - 2 storey at each end. Took them 8 hours. Two Aussie blokes who did a great job.

I've paid less in the past to employ little Asian men who couldn't understand English. Definitely agree that you get what you pay for.

I would definitely protest at that though. Two new guys on the job is just unacceptable. Talking to our removalists last week, they said this time of year is the busiest for them and they have triple the work available that they take.

I helped a lady friend move from a 7 bedroomed lowset home to a highset 20km away last December with help of her 18 and 20yo and two of their mates, all getting $20/hr.

Biggest problems were you can only get a 3 tonne truck if you don't have a truck license, and getting the furniture stacked efficiently in the truck; and getting heavier stuff up the switchback staircase in the new house.

Took us about 6 loads over two days. It was extremely tiring for me because of the mental, emotional, and physical effort required - the lads could have worked a lot better and shown more independence, and that was the major frustration.

Costs:
- Truck hire $250 for 48 hours.
- Lads $800 (they had other stuff arranged over those 2 days which I had to work around :rolleyes:)

Would I recommend it? Not with those kids, but sure if you have reliable sensible help, a strategic plan, well timed breaks, and everyone is on the same page.

The rough quote was $4500 so probably saved $3000 of after tax dollars. My view was it was character building for the kids, and taught them something about how others make a buck, the value of a buck, and never to disrespect people who do heavy manual work. because they earn their dollars.

We moved last week from Brisbane to Port Macquarie. Did a DIY move with a rental relocation 3 tonne truck. Total cost $135 and about $180 in fuel (had to drop truck in Sydney three days later). We're used to moving a lot of equipment though with our events (triathlons, mountain bike races etc - all heavy and bulky gear).

If we had any more gear (business wise - the bulk of our stuff) or home furnishings (we knew we'd only be in that house around 18months) we'd have gone removalists. Quote was around $2900 due to the distance.

PS anyone want a free dining table, eight chairs, matching sideboard and/or a futon in Brisbane? needs to be gone by Saturday night pick up Friday arvo or Saturday day. BYO trailer. Finally found perfect excuse to get rid of hubby's grandmothers dining set (his mum even told me to send it to Salvo's it's that ugly).

I helped a lady friend move from a 7 bedroomed lowset home to a highset 20km away last December with help of her 18 and 20yo and two of their mates, all getting $20/hr.

Biggest problems were you can only get a 3 tonne truck if you don't have a truck license, and getting the furniture stacked efficiently in the truck; and getting heavier stuff up the switchback staircase in the new house.

Took us about 6 loads over two days. It was extremely tiring for me because of the mental, emotional, and physical effort required - the lads could have worked a lot better and shown more independence, and that was the major frustration.

Costs:
- Truck hire $250 for 48 hours.
- Lads $800 (they had other stuff arranged over those 2 days which I had to work around :rolleyes:)

Would I recommend it? Not with those kids, but sure if you have reliable sensible help, a strategic plan, well timed breaks, and everyone is on the same page.

The rough quote was $4500 so probably saved $3000 of after tax dollars. My view was it was character building for the kids, and taught them something about how others make a buck, the value of a buck, and never to disrespect people who do heavy manual work. because they earn their dollars.

hang on, her own kids had to be paid to help mum move?? what is the world coming to??

I have moved myself, my mother, my family, but I am HC licensed and can usually borrow a large truck gratis,
last one with a tailgate loader for the back, and a palfinger crane to put mothers piano through the upstairs porch door
that is a 'never again' where is the screAM face, thing, the piano sold with the house​
mostly a piece of cake.
I think also, you are owed some refund

You had it all boxed and it took them 14 hours? :S

I boxed my house up. (granted only a 2 bed...but I had lots in garage). I have a mate with a small truck (12 pallete?). I told them we'd be done by 11...I had 2 old guys 1 young guy and myself.

truck like this.

http://www.truckfreezerrentals.com.au/images/vehicles/8p.jpg

We started at 8. Filled the truck (almost literally full). Drove 25 mins to new house. Had to unpack from top of driveway. We finished at 11:02. I was annoyed that I didn't reach my goal, they were suprised we were done well before lunch.

It cost me lunch for all involved, then I had to help the truck driver with his wharehouse, which took 4 or so hours.

So to answer your question, to pick up boxes, pack a truck, unpack, I would expect 3 hours + drive time. If you have lots of stairs, add an hour or 2. If you have wierd things that aren't easy to pack int he truck add an hour.

That is why I always "don't" pay by the hour ... I just pay the set price (if I think it's fair) and leave them to it.

Last move was 1 1/2 containers :eek: Didn't know we had that much stuff ... but by the time you have a king bed, a queen bed, 3 singles, desks, two sets of lounge furniture etc etc. Next time I'll have a massive cull session beforehand.

A friend got caught out by the "hourly" scam, and the removalist sent the smallest truck of the fleet and probably the two slowest blokes.

I'd go for the refund ... I had a plumber at one of my jobs recently and he was sooooooo slow because he was teaching an apprentice. Sorry mate but I ain't paying for you to teach, I'm paying for my job to be done in a timely manner.

The bill was halved.

Helped my business partner move about a year ago, small stuff in the company wagons, movers for the furniture.

They went for the pay by the hour thing, and seriously every 15 mins my partner had to go out and chase them to stop sitting down having a rest. And all they did was complain that there was a lot of furniture to move . YOU ARE MOVERS FFS, WHAT DID YOU EXPECT TO BE DOING, SELLING ICE CREAMS?!?!?

In the end they gave him a huge bill, he told them to cram it since they were obviously incompetent, estimated the amount of hours they actually worked and said take it or sue me. They took it.

My move from Sydney to Brisbane cost $19,000, but they had to box everything themselves, move and store, then bring it in to the new house three months later. Thankfully work covered most of that...

But recently I moved again, out of the house with most into storage. I got a free truck from the storage mob and picked up two backpackers in the city at $18/hr each and moved the whole lot into storage in 6hrs for $216 all up. I had packed all the boxes myself and had actually loaded the whole first load of the truck myself before my wife came back with the boys to start at 10am.

So there's your scale, somewhere between $216 and $19,000. How'd you fare?

Cheers,
Michael

My move from Sydney to Brisbane cost $19,000, but they had to box everything themselves, move and store, then bring it in to the new house three months later. Thankfully work covered most of that...

But recently I moved again, out of the house with most into storage. I got a free truck from the storage mob and picked up two backpackers in the city at $18/hr each and moved the whole lot into storage in 6hrs for $216 all up. I had packed all the boxes myself and had actually loaded the whole first load of the truck myself before my wife came back with the boys to start at 10am.

So there's your scale, somewhere between $216 and $19,000. How'd you fare?

Cheers,
Michael
Creative work with the backpackers!

Creative work with the backpackers!
Thanks mate. There's heaps of them willing to do work for cash. Here's where I started my search and found the two young Brittish guys that helped me out for the day. Both really nice blokes with a good strong work ethic.

Gumtree Labourer - Brisbane

Now don't you just love how great a resource Somersoft is for sharing this sort of stuff! :D

Cheers,
Michael

Yes - I'd hate to think what they paid to move us to Whyalla and back. The removalists had to pack themselves, otherwise insurance wouldn't cover it ... so they'd put one empty plastic washing basket in a box and close it up!

Back