nightmare removalist

Yes - I'd hate to think what they paid to move us to Whyalla and back. The removalists had to pack themselves, otherwise insurance wouldn't cover it ... so they'd put one empty plastic washing basket in a box and close it up!
Yep, exactly the same situation that we were in. They even made solid wooden crates to pack rolled up fabric and crappy carved wooden statues in. The crates would have cost more than their contents. And at $19K for the move, they would have been better off risking a higher insurance payout...

Cheers,
Michael

We moved about three months ago it took the removalists only two hours. We were only moving from a 2br home though and the new place was only five minutes drive away but the guys did have to move a piano down one floor. Very happy with them, very professional and efficient and friendly.

They were definitely more expensive ($160/hr for 2 guys + 1 big truck, + extra $120 for piano surcharge) than the cheap Asian removalists. But yeah you get what you pay for, the efficiency and experience were definitely much better.

we paid $2500....

I think they probably took 4-6 hours longer than they would have if they had 3 capable removalists.

I've written a formal complaint letter, and I've followed up with a phone call. No feedback yet. I'll give them a couple more days, and ring them again. Then I'll probably look at reversing the credit card payment.

When I moved from Perth to Bris it cost me about $6000 backloading. All of my furniture at the other end looked like they'd been from a scratch and dent sale even though on their website it states they put blankets between furniture. The owner didn't care one bit about it. When we moved again we used Minimovers. They were excellent. We had everything in the garage apart from the furniture and had everything delivered to the garage and lounge of the new house 5 mins away. It took about 2-3 hours for a four bed house, but i bubblewrapped some of my furniture myself. One guy it was his first day on the job (backpacker) and the other guy was experienced. I can't remember what we paid now. I think it was about $500, but they have a quote page on their site if that's any help. http://www.minimovers.com.au/

Couldnt get the company I wanted when we moved from Gold Coast to Melbourne. The company I hired took a week to deliver, lots of broken crockery, and scratched stuff. Every day they promised to deliver, we waited in cold house with only 1 bed and then they took hours to unload and we had to leave for a very important engagement so left them finishing unloading. The worst thing was they stole my $800 gold watch. Rang the guy and threatened police etc. but said he didnt know a thing about it, suspect it was the offsider he hired in melb to unload. Really upset as I had shoutedmyself this watch when my business really started to make money and he probably just sold it down the pub for $50.

When I moved from Perth to Bris it cost me about $6000 backloading. All of my furniture at the other end looked like they'd been from a scratch and dent sale even though on their website it states they put blankets between furniture. The owner didn't care one bit about it. When we moved again we used Minimovers. They were excellent. We had everything in the garage apart from the furniture and had everything delivered to the garage and lounge of the new house 5 mins away. It took about 2-3 hours for a four bed house, but i bubblewrapped some of my furniture myself. One guy it was his first day on the job (backpacker) and the other guy was experienced. I can't remember what we paid now. I think it was about $500, but they have a quote page on their site if that's any help. http://www.minimovers.com.au/
I came across my receipt from minimovers. It cost $557 and we were charged for 3.5 hours which included truck to and from depot (40minutes)...so less than 3hours to move us.

We used Minimovers for our last move and I couldn't have been happier- I have never seen two blokes work so hard. They even ran back to the truck. Phenomenal. I think it cost around $600 all up but I couldn't fault them. It is cheaper if you move on certain days of the week, which we didn't.

I used Wridgways when I moved to Brisbane- had a 2br apartment of stuff, minus bed and whitegoods. They were well priced too and I only paid about $1600 door to door. Great service too.

Are they known as "f _ _g_ _ _" removals.

yeah they're known for their overcharging.
? No, I don't think so! I was totally happy with their service (minimovers) and would recommend them. My sis used them twice and was totally happy too.

There's a company in Melbourne that I definately wouldn't recommend. It starts with 'Interst_te'. They don't turn up on the day they were booked, lie that your stuff has arrived early so has to go in storage and you have to pay a redelivery and storage fee to get your stuff out. Then I find out later it hasn't reached the destination yet, and is in storage in another state. I took some of my furniture to the dump when it arrived, and had to repair (or put up with damage) for all the rest of my other furniture. That was a nightmare!!

Another happy customer of minimovers here. They were the ones that we used in our last move mentioned in my post above. We just rounded up from 1.45 hours to 2 hours in my case as one of their depots is very nearby.

I move every 4-6 years. So far they've been pretty good, they have to pack everything themselves. 250 boxes (incl. lots of books), took them 6 hours to pre-pack and 5 hours to load two trucks. No idea what it cost sorry.

My Mum and Dad moved five years ago, and it cost them $3000 to move from a five bed home in Tullamarine to a three bed home in Geelong. There was plenty of stuff to move, but most of it was already boxed. Took them 8 hours including all travel. Mum and Dad were happy, because we had some heavy stuff and these three blokes slogged their guts out.

I've sent 2 written complaints and rung them to follow up, and no response yet.
So, today I called the credit card company to lodge a dispute, and get a partial refund. I have disputed $1000 of the $2500 bill.
There were 2 sections to sign on the paperwork. One was to say that the work had been done, and the other was the credit card section.
I signed to say that the work had been done, but wrote there that I was unhappy with the work. I didnt sign the credit card section. So, I'm hoping that might give me some additional bargaining power with ANZ/Visa. We'll see what the outcome is. I have let the removalist know that I have lodged a dispute.

If I can find places online to give them a bad rating, I will also go and begin to do that.

I've sent 2 written complaints and rung them to follow up, and no response yet.
So, today I called the credit card company to lodge a dispute, and get a partial refund. I have disputed $1000 of the $2500 bill.
There were 2 sections to sign on the paperwork. One was to say that the work had been done, and the other was the credit card section.
I signed to say that the work had been done, but wrote there that I was unhappy with the work. I didnt sign the credit card section. So, I'm hoping that might give me some additional bargaining power with ANZ/Visa. We'll see what the outcome is. I have let the removalist know that I have lodged a dispute.

If I can find places online to give them a bad rating, I will also go and begin to do that.
It's good to have it in writing. I was so p'd off when I had my drama's I didn't bother and wanted to tell the owner/manager how upset I was. The company wrote to me about a 2 weeks later?? that because I didn't put it in writing I had no recourse.

Last edited:

Its been 2 weeks... I've written 2x, phoned 3x and had no response. So, I've begun an online campaign to see if I get a response.

They have a Facebook site.... and I made a complaint on there. But they've very quickly deleted that. I'll go on tonight and repost it to see if it stays on for a bit longer. I've given them a rating and review on TrueLocal, which they wont be able to delete quite so quickly.

Any other suggestions on places I can give them a bad review?

You could try and contact Australian Furniture Removers Association ( AFRA)
Hopefully the company that you used is a member. I am sure that they would love to hear from you as they have a set code of conduct that their members have got to stick to. They may be able to help you out. They have a website with all contact details listed.
Its best to use a removalist who is a AFRA member. Good luck!

I would try Facebook again but on a Friday evening, hopefully it will be there for the weekend that way.

I think they must have an automatic program to delete posts.. tried reposting at 11.45pm on Friday night.... and it was gone in 2 minutes again!
Oh well, I'll have to try other places!

Back