North West Tasmanian Investment Group

I'm just wondering if anyone knows if there's a North West Tasmanian investors group or any in Tasmania for that matter?

Reading about a lot of you getting together sounds like a lot of fun as well as learning from each other. (sorta makes me envious :rolleyes: lol)

Thanks

Having been to North West Tassie the lack of people overall, let alone investors, could make forming a group hard.

And for those who want to post a NWIG meeting would essentialy just be a family reunion, well thats just cruel :D

Having written that I am happy to help the Sultan where I can and will PM you on the matter.

Beautiful part of the world and would love to find a reason to visit. ;)

Peter 147

Tassie Investment Group

Hi SOS,

You may have more luck with a statewide Tassie group than a NW one. I'm in Lonnie (well 30mins north on the West Tamar), I think from memory jonnyb is in Hobart. Not sure who else posts from Tassie, but I would be interested in getting together now and again, and have Cashflow 101. Feel free to email me. :)

Hi Guys

BTW how is the market in Tassie from a general viewpoint.

Questions I always wonder is:

Is it dependant on employment generation?
Does IT and Callcentre Jobs actually help?
Is "seachange" migration from states helping?
Is the population growing?
What are the big issues ahead for Tasmaina such environmental? electricity supply? tourisim? both good and bad.

Or is it simply a lot like Aus in general?

Peter 147

Peter 147 said:
Hi Guys

BTW how is the market in Tassie from a general viewpoint.

Questions I always wonder is:

What are the big issues ahead for Tasmaina such environmental? electricity supply? tourisim? both good and bad.

Peter 147

Hi Peter

Hmmmmm, just my humble opinions.

Employment generation always helps but I don't think we're dependant on it. What put Tasmania in a bit of a hole in the early 90's was a few of the large employers closing down ie.Tioxide, 250 jobs, APPM pulp mill, 200 jobs, Department of Main Roads, 100's more jobs etc. Everyone thought it was the end of the world but in some ways its been good. Tioxide used to pump its waste into the sea, roads are now contracted out and they seem to be made quicker and at less expense, :rolleyes: and a lot of the same people are employed by the contractors.

Both help. IT for a number of reasons. One that is noticable is that people can move from interstate and work online. eg computer programers.

The call centres also employ a lot of people. I've had 2 sisters work at one in Devonport at different times.

Yes, we've had multitudes move to Tas in the last few years. With the Spirits of Tasmania ships running daily, its made the state very accessable. A sydneysider can sell a house for, i'm guessing, 500,000+ and buy a better house here for 250,000, (two years ago 150,000). A percentage of those will come here and go back to where they came from for any number of reasons though ie family and friends etc

After 10 years of gradual decline its grown quite a bit in the last 2 years. A few years ago it was getting to the point where, 'Last one to leave, turn the lights out please!!' :p A local joke.

Forestry is big, regrowth forests etc.

The recent development of wind farms are seeing we don't run out or electricty.

Tourism is important as it has a huge flow on effect.

Generally speaking, I think we face a lot of the same issues that the rest of regional Australia face.

Hope that answers some questions. One forumite has the signature, 'You now more that you think you do.' Well, I've just proved him right, cos i didn't know i knew all that. :p Hmmmm, me thinks maybe i maked it all up!! :rolleyes:

Cheers

Last edited:
Thanks Sultan

Your info is very useful to Sydneysiders like me. It is hard to get a local fix , here in the Emerald City.

As you said, $500k is around median house price and you dont get a lot for that, subject to your suburb.

Personally I believe Tasmainia is rich with real long term wealth that is fresh air, safe food, clean water, and isolation.

With a flight to here only $200 and 2 hours it is now a lot closer than before. But I would avoid the boat :(

I tried your website but not luck. Can you provide another link.

Peter 147

Peter 147 said:
And for those who want to post a NWIG meeting would essentialy just be a family reunion, well thats just cruel :D

Cruel but true!! :eek: (almost) lol :p

Peter 147 said:
Having written that I am happy to help the Sultan where I can and will PM you on the matter.

Do you think if we can organise Muz, Johnnyb and myself to meet as the TIG, we can get Dale GG, Steve Navra and Peter Spann to the inaugarul meeting as guest speakers??? :D Just a thought. :p

Cheers

Sultan of Swing said:
Cruel but true!! :eek: (almost) lol :p
Do you think if we can organise Muz, Johnnyb and myself to meet as the TIG, we can get Dale GG, Steve Navra and Peter Spann to the inaugarul meeting as guest speakers??? :D Just a thought. :p
Are they related? :p

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Cruel but true!! (almost) lol
Do you think if we can organise Muz, Johnnyb and myself to meet as the TIG, we can get Dale GG, Steve Navra and Peter Spann to the inaugarul meeting as guest speakers??? Just a thought.

Are they related?

Cheers,

Aceyducey
No, but they could be. How fast can they run? (innocent look)

quiggles said:
No, but they could be. How fast can they run? (innocent look)

Ha, Ha.

I thought my slight jibe went unnoticed. :confused:

Must be the time difference due to daylight savings down there. ;)

Peter 147

Peter 147 said:
Ha, Ha.

I thought my slight jibe went unnoticed. :confused:

Must be the time difference due to daylight savings down there. ;)

Peter 147

Not unnoticed, i was trying to think of a good comeback, lol. It didn't come though. :rolleyes:

And you'll find Tas is the same time as Vic and NSW :p

I don't know why people make fun of Tasmanians. They are actually a lo0t more intelligent than some would have us believe.

I mean, everyone knows that two heads are better than one.

Sultan of Swing said:
Not unnoticed, i was trying to think of a good comeback, lol. It didn't come though. :rolleyes:

And you'll find Tas is the same time as Vic and NSW :p

Actually i knew the time was the same. It was a play on the joke about being slow. But Too subtle. :rolleyes:

As for comeback it should be easy.

I am a white bread, anglo, Sydneysider, with professional wife, no kids, one dog, living in the inner city and drive a European car. The original YUPPIE PIG.

Think "LA story" coffee orders....

Peter 147

Back