Thanks to somersoft forumites!! ;)

Informative
Individual
Independant
Indepth
Intuative
and
Indispensible

Sometimes it takes seeing the underperformance of other sites to acknowledge how great this site really is!

Thanks!

Timm

Oh did I mention Irreplaceable! :D

agent007 said:
Dear all, I really don’t understand why all the fuss about this post???. It’s clear to me that 90% to 95% of the population think and act totally different to the rest 5% or so. Hence, there are some hard and standard facts like retiring at 65 years of age and broke as well as many other “negative” things very common to the majorities… :eek:

It may sound hard but, if the majority of the population were serious investors, were using trust structures and accountants of Dale caliber, the world as we know it now would be a different place. It’d be much hard and competitive!!! (in other words, it’d be more difficult for us).

Let’s face it; the 95% of the population make us look good without having to do a great effort.:D

I agree. Most people consider plain property investing dangerous, immoral and/or illegal! I'm sure a lot of people think me running a net tax loss on my tax return (foreign income not taxed in Oz) sounds illegal. Interest only loans, buying other IPs for 'free' from refinancing, offset accounts that minimise interest on PPOR while maximising interest on IPs.....

Yep, sounds dodgy!!! Let's protect the ordinary people by not letting them near these evil evil things!

Let the 'ordinary nice folks' complain how the 'rich capitalists' are rorting the system. They can do what they do and we'll keep doing what we do. When you're not of the mainstream (what is the statistic? Only 1% of the population has more than 1 investment property?) you can expect jealous criticism from everyone else.
Alex

hi all
I must admit I have not been to pi for a month or so and not sure why jacque used all the names about me and were she got them from but from what I have heard dale does know what he's doing as alot of people are using trust me being on of them.
but the trouble with an open forum is some people think they know something and they don't and when you explain that in no uncertain terms they pop up again with another name so for me I just forget them.
for me you give out your time and if someone appriectates it thats good if they don't its water off the ducks back

I think that we can all read the same book and come away with slightly different interpretations of what is contained within..

To be honest I regularly revisit Dales books and find them a great resource..

I was glad to see Coasty Mike's comments on the other forum as well (in that I regard him highly as an accountant as well).

Pi was nice to visit but I'm finding myself spending most time here with the quality of the members and the swift actions of the moderators -I posted a joke once that was removed in a heartbeat as it may have been seen as insensitive (I received a nice PM from the Moderators explaining why as well)..now I'm a bit more careful.

Redwing

Sorry to bump the thread back up but I agree with the prevailing sentiments too, Dale. Keep up the good work.

For me, negative statements and criticisms are perhaps best taken when they are constructive and helpful. Those that aren't are best ignored lest they drag you down.

Cheers,

Kenny

I just posted this in PI.com - then realised that it probably won't be read by many people, especially the ones that matter. So at the risk of repeating myself.

G'Day Dale

Can't believe the rubbish being posted on this forum.(PI.com that is)

As a client, I know first hand of the time, effort and absolute integrity that you have given to us for business and personal tax/accounting matters. Apart from genuine respect, courtesy and interest.

I guess that one could rant and rave but why drag oneself down to their level or subject the valued contributors to a pointless diatribe?

We're doing fine with you (and all the team in your office) and will happily provide a public or private reference to anybody who needs to know it!

Talk to you soon

John

Happy with Dale

G'day Dale,

You can count me in the "happy with Dale" camp too. I'd tried 5 other Accountants before ending up here.

Haven't thought of "moving" since then - Dale, you do what needs to be done, and you do it WELL !!!

Regards,

PS Just in case "you do what needs to be done" sounds like "damning with faint praise", it goes back some years with me. It came from an instance where two individuals were vying for a "position" - one was trumpeting from the rooftops just how good he was, while the other softly affirmed "I'll do what needs to be done".

The first turned out to be a real figjam (" wow I'm good, just ask me ..."), while the second was true to his word, and did what was needed. Today, I always look for those who will "do what needs to be done" and I turn away from the trumpeters....

For the record, not all PI.com posters have a problem with you Dale.
I have not read your book but from what I have heard you are my type of accountant.

I am sorry for the opinions of others.

Cata

I too have read Dales book and thought it was a great read. I finally understood trusts as a result of reading the book - it was simple and straight to the point. I didn't end up setting up a trust for my properties but Dales bought gave me the opportunity to understand how a trust worked and the implications if I chose not to use one. Everyone should be able to make an informed decision before they make a decision, whether it end up being the right choice or not. A great broker once told me that didn't they Rolf! ;)

I get annoyed when people trash other people's efforts at providing information. I've come across many opinions - Jan Somersoft, Margaret Lomas, Steve McKnight. People like Dale and other accountants that have written books. All of these people are trying to help us - some in a bit of an over zealous and preaching way (not mentioning any names!) but they are just trying to provide us, the reader who generally has no idea about this stuff, with some facts and the benefit of their experience. And yes they can make money out of it but so what! We all have to make a living.

We also don't have to take their word as gospel. Buyer beware I say. Make sure you do the research. Getting varied opinions helps. Go and do additional research via other books, other sites and so on. Talk to people. We are all human. We share what we know and what we know can differ person to person. If you are unsure about something then get a second opinion. It's up to you the buyer to make sure you are armed with as much information as you can find.

Sorry I am rambling. I just hate how humans say such nasty things about, and to, each other. It's so unnecessary. Let's be nice, it makes you feel so much better. :p

Hello,

I have made this post in support of Dale.

Without any agenda, I have met, heard and chatted with Dale on several occasions. While I would regard some of his tax claims for personal expenses aggressive, he creates a reasonably arguable position. Ultimately, such claims are made under the Australian self-assessment tax system and so they will be honoured, until such time as they are tested (which may be never), in which case it is up to the lawyers to fight it out.

Like most advice (my own included) it's up to you to take it or leave it.

Now, as for Dale as a person - never, not once, has his integrity been called into question with my dealings with him. This is a rare situation in the world of wealth creation, and speaks volumes for his professionalism and approach.

As for comments about PropertyInvesting.com... I am always interested in improving the service on offer and welcome constructive comments. Please send your comments and suggestions to [email protected]

Regards,

- Steve McKnight

Thanks for your contribution Steve.

It's very good of you to come into a "rival" forum in support of Dale (though I would regard both of these forums as complementary rather than rival).

The support of another accountant (though I suspect you don't still practice :) ) is especially valuable.

Thank you for that.

Without wanting to hijack the thread, you've hit the nail on the head here, Geoff:

though I would regard both of these forums as complementary rather than rival.

PI attracks more first time investors because Steve's books, seminars, TV appearances etc bring people to his forum. It must drive him crazy, though, that there are still people buying '0-130 properties in 3.5. years' and not looking at the date when the book was written. There are new people constantly popping up on that forum thinking they can drive an hour out of Melbourne and find RE agents with lots of cf+ properties they want to offload. PI members and moderators gently point out to these people that things have changed since Steve wrote his first book, and that Steve's strategies have also changed.

I think investors graduate to SS. The SS members tend to be more seasoned and informed because often they only find out about SS after they have bought a property or two and started talking to other investors. I would guess that there are a greater proportion of PI members who are yet to buy a property and are casting their net wide for information.

So both forums have their place. And like all on-line communities, participants on both can occasionally misbehave.

Scott

I completely agree with your views there Scott.

I read Steves books and joined the forum. Definately learned a lot there too. I occassionally saw posts referring to SS and have finally joined. The feeling on this forum is definately more of a 'professional' one. More people giving advice (with qualifications or experience to back it up!) than asking.

I am reading through "How to Legally Reduce Your Tax" by Ed Chan and Tony Melvin again to expand my knowledge on trusts. Pretty keen to have a read of Trust Magic too though but havent seen it in any of the local bookstores yet. Where is it distributed?

Thanks
Mike

MikeC said:

I read Steves books and joined the forum. Definately learned a lot there too. I occassionally saw posts referring to SS and have finally joined. The feeling on this forum is definately more of a 'professional' one. More people giving advice (with qualifications or experience to back it up!) than asking.

I am reading through "How to Legally Reduce Your Tax" by Ed Chan and Tony Melvin again to expand my knowledge on trusts. Pretty keen to have a read of Trust Magic too though but havent seen it in any of the local bookstores yet. Where is it distributed?

Thanks
Mike

Send DaleGG an email - I've never seen it in the bookstores either, but I've gotten one from his office, or visit his website, I believe they sell them online there - absolutely fantastic book!! It will answer SO many of your questions, and is very easy reading.

Cheers,
Jen

MikeC said:

Thanks
Mike

You can get the book from Dale's office or check out this link at our On Line Bookstore you can get details plus look at the table of contents.

Back