Not Property but Traffic Law?!?!

Hi Guys,

I have a question to ask, Last night while driving i accumulated 3 demerit points as i was doing 15k/ph over the limit. Which means i now have 13 demerit points. and have lost my licence (effective upon receiving the notice within the mail) (unrestricted licence within NSW)

My question relates to either finding a solicitor to try and attain a section 10 or to apply for special consideration and try and attain 2 extra demerit points for 12 months mainly due to being a valuer i need my drivers licence for work.

Also, if there is any advice on who is a good solicitor within these matters would be appreciated as well

Finally I know im at fault and all that, i know speed kills, i know i was at fault, im not arguing if i was in the right or not. Im asking to find the next best step forward. I have 3 offences on my licence one was double demerits 18months ago that was 6 points and the other was 2 years and 11 months ago 4 points for 20k/ph (28days till i would have got these points back)

Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Michael

Sorry, no advice on the step forward here. But, I fail to understand how could someone, knowing that they already have so many demerit points on the license, even think of driving over the limit??

I didnt know i was speeding, anyway, avoiding spiralling conversations on who is at fault and who is a idiot and so forth i just want to know the next step forward.

Cheers

Many solicitors do magistrates court traffic work. Usually they have Chambers near the court house you will be assigned. That will keep the cost down. They wil attend that morning and handle a handful of issues and this can be cost effective. They usually advertise - local papers etc. Call and discuss with some. They will meet before hand and organise it for you...Take your infrigement notice to the meeting.

Google the court suburb (Guess for now) and traffic + solicitor :ie Hornsby traffic solicitor....

They may recommend you enrol in a RMS programme for bad drivers. Its a pain but may prove you want to right the past wrongs. You want to have completed this with good reports (Yes they report to the court on your attitudes) My mate got a s10 for high range DUI. I was shocked he got it and so was his lawyer. He was given a lecture by magistrate. I gave him a reference that addressed his aging parents reliance on him and addressed my personal trust in his remorse. The solictor will advise on all that. .

Thanks for your help Paul, i've called a few and they have given similar advice to that you have provided. One has advised that i should not pay the fine until the issue is addressed within a court room.

Thanks for the help, i really appreciate all your help!

I heard/read many moons ago that you can avoid having the points allocated to your licence...

Send a cheque for more than the fine. The authorities cash the cheque and send out a cheque for the overpayment (minus fees) - fine settled. But the points don't allocate to your licence until the case is closed and you cash the cheque - i.e. don't cash the cheque.

I don't know if it was ever true, and if this scam ever was true I'd bet it's been tightened up.

Is this the first time you have lost your licence?

I thought if you lost your licence for the first time from demerit points ie not dui, you could apply for a good behaviour bond. You keep your licence and for the next 12 months if you recieve 1 demerit point you loose your licence for twice as long as the original would have been.

Something to that effect.

I heard/read many moons ago that you can avoid having the points allocated to your licence...

Send a cheque for more than the fine. The authorities cash the cheque and send out a cheque for the overpayment (minus fees) - fine settled. But the points don't allocate to your licence until the case is closed and you cash the cheque - i.e. don't cash the cheque.

I don't know if it was ever true, and if this scam ever was true I'd bet it's been tightened up.

I heard that rumour many years ago. I told my mate, he reckons it worked for him.... that was 10 years ago though.

I'm sure its closed up now.

I just had a read through and i think there is a good behaviour license in NSW, you are allowed 2 points for 12 months, if you loose both then you loose your license for twice as long as the initial ban.

So i think ill be walking this path?!

I just had a read through and i think there is a good behaviour license in NSW, you are allowed 2 points for 12 months, if you loose both then you loose your license for twice as long as the initial ban.

So i think ill be walking this path?!

that was what I was going to suggest.

Unless it's changed, you will lose your license when you pay the fine - but I think they are nice to you and let you choose when you lose it, up to 3 months into the future. (that was the case in 2006 when I lost mine)

You may get away with doing a driver course (or that may be a part of the 2 points thing). This was offered to me in 2006, if I plead guilty, they would do this instead of losing my license, but I refused to lie in court, so I plead innocent and lost my license (someone ran a red light and t boned me - double demerrit got me with 6 points, plus I had 3 speeding fines in the previous 3 years).

It was the case a few years ago, that Professional drivers (read: truckies) can get an extra 2 points without the probation period - I doubt you would be deemed to be a professional driver though.

Just dscussing this issue and work and one of the girls here had a similiat tale (NSW). She had a fine a few days before she cleaned up some points. She never lost it cause they processed the fine several weeks later after the points cleared.

It may pay for you to check the NSW Infringement online services where you can find out your points. If they go down you may avoid the court issue. BUT it comes with a catch. the "good behaviour 2pt rule" is lost when they action the suspension....You must apply b4 its issued or its forfeited.

Back