Notice to Vacate - Tradesmen

Hi

I've got tenants due to vacate on March 16. They have been given over 2 months notice and sent a notice to vacate via registered mail etc. If they do not vacate their is a VCAT hearing scheduled for the next day.

If they don't vacate, i'm pretty sure i don't have the right to kick them out until all the hearings/proceedings have been done, which could take weeks.

However, do I have a right to send tradesmen in to begin work on things after March 16 even if they still remain in the house??

I'm keen to start booking tradesmen early.

What does everyone think?

You can do it if they agree, however if they are getting evicted, why would they. I certainly wouldn't risk it. If they are vindictive they could agree, then not let the tradies in, costing you more money, or alternatively damage the property. Best to wait until you get possession.

Of course you have the right for fixing minor stuff. Whether the tradesman will be bashed up is another issue :rolleyes: However, if the tradesman is going to be doing stuff that cant be done with people living their then I forget it.

Even though they are suppossed to be out, if they haven't handed the keys in definitely give the required notice (24hrs?) and roll up with the tradesman and a key.

How they react will determine whether anything gets done, if it is immediately trashed after you leave, and if you should've just waited till they are gone......

Maybe something to ask your Property Manager to look up, although if they're like mine they may or may not know...

GZM I had a similar situation. No you cant throw them out until all hearing but if they are on a peroidic tentancy or their lease has expired you can Increase the rent from that date to what the market value is. Be sure to get a few rental appraisals and then you establish what you are missing out on lost rent and include this in the court case

Best to get them out but I hope your rental manager is working for you and knows tenancy laws as my previous one was hopeless and I took tenants to court for similar and won.

Back