Notice To Vacate

Hello All,
This is my first post, so please bear with me.

A friend has just asked me a question about "Notice to Vacate" her tenanted property.
She has just entered into an agreement to sell her house, and needs to give the tenants notice to vacate.
The house is located in Victoria, and is currently not under lease.
What is the minimum number of days required for this notice???
Can the "Notice to Vacate" be served upon the Tenants prior to contracts of Sale being signed???

Thanks,
Survey Mal

In Victoria, you can give a notice to vacate within 90 days without a specified reason if they are not within a lease. There may be a shorter time period if the property is on the market or if the new owner plans to move in there.

Get your friend to grab a copy of the Victoria "Renters" magazine. It outlines the rights/responsibilities of tenants and landlords. I grabbed mine from an RE, but you could get one from whichever govt body deals with renting........the name escapes me as I'm at work. Do a search on google and I'm sure you'll find something.

PT_BEAR and the_captain,

Thanks for your help. I went and grabbed a copy of the Renters Magazine and found what I was looking for.

Cheers,
Survey Mal

A notice to vacate based on the property being sold is a standard form, and easy to complete.

It i s a sixty day notice, but please do not forget to allow the days for postage otherwise it will come back rejected from the Tribunal (make sure you fill out "application to the tribunal from a landlord" at the same time.)

The other thing is that this notice must be issued within 14days from the property being sold- not when it becomes unconditional.
;)

Back