NSW coast - brace yourself Nellie !!

Tax free capital gains?

Just having a flick through the latest MEC presentation and struck this bit on page 3.

The Company is registered as a Pooled Development Fund enabling most MEC shareholders to receive tax free capital gains on their shares

Would one of you more experienced share boffins care to explain how/why it exists and how the shareholders can use its benefits?

Just to add a little more detail:
Do you notify your accountant of the tax-free status or would they 'know'?
When does the Pooled Development Fund status finish? Does it have to be terminated once the company starts turning a profit or would the company sell off those revenue generating assets as they come online?

Gools

Gools, that wasn't the major reason why we jumped onboard, but it certainly didn't hinder our decision. Nice to have a free 100% win, rather than have a win and share the spoils with the ATO.

In terms of revenue down the track, this company is a speck on the butt of a fly when it comes to oilfield development. It's absolutely flat out and up to it's eyeballs just paying to dig one hole. Any revenue generation will be about a decade away and a few Billion capex.

It does not have the financial clout to do anything with a successful commercial discovery, other than hitch up its skirt and wait for a large suitor to come sniffing.....if you follow the analogy.....

Palm the whole thing off to someone like an Origin Energy, pocket the windfall and start chook scratching around in the never-never for the next one.

Things don't always happen that way Dazz. In the early oughties I had a punt on a gold explorer who, I'm sure, was planning this way. But no suitors came a sniffin'.

So they kept on working and proved their resource, did the BFS, built the plant, (on time, on budget, working at name plate capacity in 3 mths) kept drilling and finding more ore. They now produce half a million ounces and expect to be a million/y producer by 1015.

Couple of days ago the offer finally came: C$7.1 billion. That's a X20 gain for me and I think I'll keep my holdings in the merged company.

If you have good management the longer you can stay independent, the better.:D

BTW I'm no longer in MEC. Just an observer. :)

antspray.jpg

As for that stock, it went up on the same news last year, plenty of speculative suckers out there.
Just goes too show with stocks like these every time the top end asx 50 blue chips go back 4-12%- 21%,the starts up like this go the other way and still per $$$$ value i low volume trades,i'm till they hit the 2-4 milliion units per day then we will see ..imho..willair..solar wind salesperson..

From what Ive read in the express it will be 50 nautical miles to sea so will not
be seen from the coast.

Munmorah power station now has gas turbines for peak load but can only
run for 3 hours max before the gas pressure drops which comes from the
Sydney Central Coast pipeline.

Not sure the Central Coast people would object to much to a gas rig if it
means turning Vales/Munmorah from Coal to Gas fed turbines.

I think residents should be more concerned about the coal mine proposal
at North Wyong which is planned for the water catchment area.

Holding Pattern

Looks like this ones in a holding pattern now until the result of the dice roll comes in - floating around $0.60 for a couple of weeks.

Man I hate waiting.

BUY will only hold something like 10% of Advent after the drill.
MMR will hold something like 75-85%.

I have no idea of the difference in current market cap so I can't say which one is the best leverage into PEP11.

Gools

Wife and I went to the AGM last week for MEC Resources.

CEO, CFO and five shareholders around a small table. It was real cosy, all 7 of us in the one room.

Bit surreal having the authority as a shareholder to start quizzing your ex-boss about stuff. He took it well. Big tip - money trumps rank in the workplace every time !!!

Obviously he didn't divulge anything at the meeting that wasn't already announced to the ASX, but it was good for the wife to hear exactly what is likely to occur, and gain an insight into the geological gas traps they are targeting.

It was good to hear about the spurious ways the media can twist and contort the truth to mean something the complete opposite. I definitely wouldn't want to be a CEO of a listed company. Apparently a petition was presented to him from a green-do-nothing mob. 30 signatures out a 6 million population base isn't too bad.

Environmental and drilling applications have been submitted to the NSW State authorities. Approvals are pending late November.

Esso shall be finished with the Ocean Patriot semi-sub drilling rig in early Dec, and the two AHTS will then tow it up the coast to it's final position over the New Seaclem-1 location, to target the Great White and Marlin prospects. (Wonder why they never call it the tiddler or minnow prospects)...

P50 gas reserve estimate is 4.1 TcF. North Rankin has about 6.5 TcF as a comparison.

If this thing goes off like I think it will, we might even be able to eliminate some of our property debts. Now that'll make for an interesting meeting one day with my Bankers.

If this thing goes off like I think it will, we might even be able to eliminate some of our property debts. Now that'll make for an interesting meeting one day with my Bankers.

Rather than paying of their loans might be worthwhile looking into becoming the landlord of their Headquarter building. Would be an interesting experience during rent reviews/lease renewal meetings.

Cheers,
Oracle.

Well they responded to the query which caused the trading halt

"MEC Resources Limited (ASX : MMR) advises that commentary in the media in India on formal
discussions between Advent Energy Ltd (Advent) and a consortium of Indian state-run energy
firms, regarding talks to acquire a 25% stake in Advent for $1 billion, are incorrect."

What part of the report is incorrect?
Are they looking to pay $2B? :)

Dazz, what is their building like? Was trying to look for the address on Google Maps the other week and it looked like a house....

Gools

Back