Objection to permit worth fighting?

Has anyone had an objection to their planning permit application from their water authority? Is there any point fighting it at VCAT or is it just prolonging the agony?

I put in an application after a block only 2 down from mine successfully obtained one & is now being built on. I spoke to council first & they were all positive & said there should be no trouble. The land is in an environmental protection overlay in a water catchment area but is zoned rural living. I got the land capability assessment done, which specified what kind of effluent treatment system would be required for the land & had plans drawn up to satisfy.

After the notice of objection, I again spoke to the council planners, who can't give any reason why mine is being objected to & the other wasn't other than they think they might have been short staffed when the other went through & they didn't get a chance to object in time. Both blocks are of similar size, same zoning & both flat.

One objection stated that they thought the density in the area was already high enough (these are 5 acre lots we're talking, with only a handful in the street & backed onto by farming zoned land) and that it would set a worrying precedent if I were granted a permit. But doesn't the fact that the other one got a permit already set a precedent? And could I fight in VCAT on the basis of that precedent?

It seems like a nightmare to have to try & take on the water authority, but if I don't I will have blown a couple of grand & all my plans will be totally screwed :confused:

I know of a number of people who have successfully won at VCAT.
I would look into representation specializing in that area for advice in the first instance and take it from there.

The objections about changing the community to built up etc sounds as if it's from a neighbour or someone locally.

Has the council provided you with advice and does it meet their code? He fact that someone in your street has been approved is positive as that could have set the precedent.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the encouragement Minx, I will have to look into it all a bit further. I just hope it isn't going to cost too much :confused:

Use a barrister in VCAT. If your house plans are at stake then you need to take it seriously.

I can recommend one if you send me a PM.

Back