Olympic Dam News

This just came out. Doesn't look like an immediate expansion is likely - hard to know what is rumour, what is deliberate leak and what is fact...

2 to 3 years away yet.Interesting in todays paper,Tumby Bay on the Eyre Pen is the new Deep water Port expansion for 2 chinese mining companies,council are looking to approve a 3000 camp.Interesting.

What else would you expect? Capital goes where it is welcome and BHP has no great urgency. They have more time than Gillard.

Shareholders would even welcome an increased dividend.

Shareholders would even welcome an increased dividend.

I think that will definitely be on the cards next month when FY results are out. If BHP paid the same payout ratio as the banks do it's dividend yield would be higher than the banks at current prices.

I have a feeling if board does raise the payout ratio more than the market is anticipating that will put a rocket under the stock price :D

Cheers,
Oracle.

I think that will definitely be on the cards next month when FY results are out. If BHP paid the same payout ratio as the banks do it's dividend yield would be higher than the banks at current prices.

I have a feeling if board does raise the payout ratio more than the market is anticipating that will put a rocket under the stock price :D

Cheers,
Oracle.

yeah im less concerned with share price than the project out there as i have place in andamooka. just finished a little refurb on it and was hoping to enjoy some rental growth after a patchy few years. will possibly need to be a little more patient.

love that buffet quote btw

yeah im less concerned with share price than the project out there as i have place in andamooka. just finished a little refurb on it and was hoping to enjoy some rental growth after a patchy few years. will possibly need to be a little more patient.

love that buffet quote btw

hurrah got the new lease in writing today. at least its rented, its been a while, very grateful.

hurrah got the new lease in writing today. at least its rented, its been a while, very grateful.

Knight

I toyed with the idea of andamooka but I thought prices were already a bit high. I considered it way too much of a risk - solely related on Olympic dam, roxby downs next door, shanty style town.
Went to whyalla instead

Having said all that I am keen to know what your rent / purchase is

Cheers

I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in - I've been living in Roxby Downs for a few years now.

No huge surprise on the negative news of Olympic Dam - I personally don't believe that it will go ahead this year (although I'm quite happy to be wrong!).

I have a couple of friends with multiple property actually in Roxby Downs, yields are decent and both of them have seen capital gain these previous two years. I personally see it as extremely high risk - relying on solely one employer. Theres been a couple of towns these past years that people have been burnt on (Ravensthorpe, the current situation in Moranbah, ect). However once the expansion goes ahead the gains could be spectacular (although its very early to say how much of the expansion will be FIFO).

I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in - I've been living in Roxby Downs for a few years now.

No huge surprise on the negative news of Olympic Dam - I personally don't believe that it will go ahead this year (although I'm quite happy to be wrong!).

I have a couple of friends with multiple property actually in Roxby Downs, yields are decent and both of them have seen capital gain these previous two years. I personally see it as extremely high risk - relying on solely one employer. Theres been a couple of towns these past years that people have been burnt on (Ravensthorpe, the current situation in Moranbah, ect). However once the expansion goes ahead the gains could be spectacular (although its very early to say how much of the expansion will be FIFO).

Do bhp subcontract anything out? Or are they that big they just make there own teams for the construction process? Just trying to work out what % of workforce fifo would affect.
Anyhow I would still think an expansion would lead to a port headland style situation in roxby.

Up here BHP subcontract a lot of the work out. Having said that, a fair amount of contractors traditionally have been residential (I don't know if this is because there traditionally has always been a camp shortage).

Also BHP employees are more and more moving to FIFO - its used to be that BHP people where all residential or DIDO, but things have been changing even since I've been up here.

Knight

I toyed with the idea of andamooka but I thought prices were already a bit high. I considered it way too much of a risk - solely related on Olympic dam, roxby downs next door, shanty style town.
Went to whyalla instead

Having said all that I am keen to know what your rent / purchase is

Cheers

Absolutely its a risk. Its the most gambl-esk ip I own. Only high 7%'s at the moment for yeild, so nothing to write home about. There are still plenty of shantys but also seeing house quality improve. It actually has a fantastic vibe and I love visiting out there - amazing people. Its a double block so can do more later but dont want to commit to any development costs till I know its worth it.

Great to have you in the mix Waldo, hang around there is heaps of good stuff to learn on the forum, and you can keep us all in the loop for whats going on out there! Spent a week there recently staying with an Andamka local who was a contractor, now BHP and he was confident of expansion, less of the timing. He wasn't in the boardroom though! I guess they dont really tell the guys in the hole whats happening until wallstreet already knows.

Back