The Black & Blue or White & Gold Teams

Definitely a Coffee Lounge Post

Last night whilst the wife was out my son came in and saw myself and the girls asking what colour the below dress was (apparently the internet is abuzz)

We saw black and blue whereas he saw white and gold, this morning the wife and others say they see white and gold; possibly why we may not sometimes agree on colour scheme's

1425061526196.jpg

Funny how people can look at the same thing and see something different (lessons within :D)

yeah - saw white and gold and nothing else. Then came back for 2nd look and briefly saw black and blue- back to white and gold, though.
Someone was explaining it on the radio yesterday but I didn't listen...

Even on the wired.com article I only see that they lightened the images, still no white and gold.

Wondering what others here see

white and gold.
Where they're pointing out the black and blue with the colour patches next to the picture, I'm seeing them not matching. They don't have the right colours! There's only one square which is a darker version of the gold that I see. :confused:

Even on the wired.com article I only see that they lightened the images, still no white and gold.

Wondering what others here see
I see the left as clearly white and gold, the middle as white and gold in dim lighting, and the right as blue and black.

Redwing's pic looks white and gold but the company's photo looks blue and black and they describe it as royal blue with black trimming.

B-1l26HXAAEJ48-.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/romanoriginals/status/571224722438004736/photo/1

I asked my dog and he looked up to see the photo and of course he couldn't reply but I imagine he'd say "I don't know, the dress looks grey to me".

PaSRsfL.jpg

I remember being told dogs can only see black and white so I checked and Neitz confirmed that dogs actually do see colour, but many fewer colours than normal humans do. Instead of seeing the rainbow as violet, blue, blue-green, green, yellow, orange and red, dogs would see it as dark blue, light blue, gray, light yellow, darker yellow (sort of brown), and very dark grey. In other words, dogs see the colors of the world as basically yellow, blue and grey. They see the colors green, yellow and orange as yellowish, and they see violet and blue as blue. Blue-green is seen as a grey. You can see what the spectrum looks like to people and dogs below. So either my dog is seeing a black/blue dress or a white/yellow (golden) dress.

2111-75460.png

That picture helps a lot!!! Wow, it really is true blue. I thought it was ice blue.

I asked my dog and he looked up to see the photo and of course he couldn't reply but I imagine he'd say "I don't know, the dress looks grey to me".

Thanks for showing that spectrum. Have always wondered about that too. No wonder dogs don't care what you look like! :)

This really spun me out yesterday. When I first looked at the dress it was dark blue with black lace. Then an hour or so later I looked at the picture again and it was white and gold. I thought it was just one big internet prank with the image being swapped to play tricks on everyone.

I then opened the picture up in photoshop and used the colour selector tool on one of the white areas.

1523699_10153097792324210_8043967039555116896_o.jpg

It's clearly showing the area I now see as white as blue. This has really messed with me. How can I trust my eyes now!

I can see both the white and gold version and the blue and black version.
The image changes before my eyes from white and gold to blue and black then to white and gold again.

If I start looking at the dress from top-then down, it will be white and gold as the final colour
But the moment I look at the dress from bottom-then up, it becomes blue and black

Now I can just stare at the entire image and it will change colours before my eyes, back and forth, back and forth.

Weird.

Back