OMG!!! Active termites found in my IP

Pest inspector advises that there are active termites in my IP and probably extensive damage. :eek:
Not sure of the extent of the damage yet, but he will begin treatment in a few days and will then advise further.
Depending on the extent of the damage, I am not sure what options I have now. I have new tenants who just signed up on a six month lease and are due to move in 8 days from now.

How does one go about determining the extent of any damage? and if work needs to be done sooner rather than later, what happens with the tenancy?

I realise once the pest guy is there for the second time, things will become clearer, but would appreciate any comments now, both for moral support and also so that I can make the right timely decisions.

Not 100% sure of the structure, but believe the bottom floor has rendered block walls, while the upper level has 'rendered look' blueboard or similar.

Three years ago when I bought the property (which is now 13 years old) the pest inspection came up clean. Haven't had the yearly inspections done on this one since then, somehow thinking this would be the least likely property to get termites..................:eek: Lesson learned bigtime.

Pest inspector advises that there are active termites in my IP and probably extensive damage. :eek:
Oh dear - sorry to hear that.:(

Depending on the extent of the damage, I am not sure what options I have now. I have new tenants who just signed up on a six month lease and are due to move in 8 days from now.
You need to can that lease. Advise the tenants of the active termite issue. Tell them that the property is being declared uninhabitable (by you) as the termite treatment contains arsenic etc and it is definitely not a place that you want tenants to be around until all the remedial works are done.

How does one go about determining the extent of any damage?
Pest guys have moisture meters, and cameras with fibre optic cables that they can poke into holes they make in walls. In reality, once you find various nests inside walls and possibly roof cavities, it means pulling off the gyprock and replacing framing timbers etc. This could turn out to be a very major reno.:eek:

and if work needs to be done sooner rather than later, what happens with the tenancy?
The work needs doing NOW. Can the tenancy before it even begins. You need to find the point of entry (obviously) and attend to that as well....and then put a barrier system in place. The termite treatment from the pest guy alone will possibly be in the order of $5+K. The reno depends on the extent of the damage.

That's very unfortunate but that is the risk with property in Australia and I have also had this happen to me in the past, very disturbing. You are just going to have to deal with it and take the steps but don't worry too much as it is common in Australia so it won't be a long term problem.

I wouldn't start panicking until you know the extent of the damage.... termites are very common, and "extensive" damage can mean quite something different to a pest inspector than to a lay person. We had extensive damage, but it was very limited to one section of the house.
I would ring them and get the initial report of where the damage was... is it spread throughout the house, or only in one area etc.
There should be no problems with someone living in the house during pest treatments, with the chemicals that are used these days. But if you need to replace gyprock/ beams etc, then you may have some additional work to do which would make a tenancy difficult.

you may also want a second opinion. After we had termites, a number of neighbours got inspections, and all were told they also had active termites... fortunately one of them got a second opinion, and found out that the pest inspector had been leading them all up the garden path! (We definitely had them though, unfortunately!)

Good luck with it all...

cheers
Pen

as the termite treatment contains arsenic etc
It doesn't anymore, it contains some weak wussy poison, which is why you need to reapply termite treatment annually these days.

Back in the good old days when they used really toxic stuff you could leave treatments for 10 years, but that was a while ago now.

I feel for you!
Well you have no choice now but hope that there is nothing really extensive, and then get rid of these "suckers".

I recently encountered termite infestation in one of my IP, luckily there was and old decrypt garage adjacent to the home, which became the main meal for the termites. The house wasn't badly infected.

After I demolished the garage, I treated the entire home. The inspector also provided a 12 month warranty on the treatment. However, to sustain the warranty, you need to reapply the treatment every 12 months.

Its definitely worth investigating once you get rid of the termites, next goal is putting up a solid barrier.

I have had this a few times, most people fear that it will cost $100k to repair etc. I recently did a kitchen reno and found some, and showed how to cost the repairs up etc.

Is the house on piers? Is it brick or clad? Can you see any sagging parts of the roof line? Does your home need a reno anyway?

Goodluck with it it seems a ***** when you find them in an existing property, however when treating you want to try and add the value back into the home someway.

Don't want to hijack the thread. But is spraying the house every year the only way to prevent them? I heard there was some barriers you can install.

You pay around $2500, and they can drill and inject a liquid at 30cm apart all around the home providing a barrier to the home which they will not come near.

Pest guys have moisture meters, and cameras with fibre optic cables that they can poke into holes they make in walls. In reality, once you find various nests inside walls and possibly roof cavities, it means pulling off the gyprock and replacing framing timbers etc. This could turn out to be a very major reno.:eek:
So, I can assume that with the fibre optic camera etc. he should be able to give me fairly sound advice on how advanced the damage is? Guess after that, and after the treatment (killing off the existing critters) has 'settled' (he said it needs to be undisturbed for a few weeks), then according to his report, a builder will go in and start pulling off the gyprock in the areas that are affected.

I have had this a few times, most people fear that it will cost $100k to repair etc. I recently did a kitchen reno and found some, and showed how to cost the repairs up etc.

I checked that out before posting. NOT a pretty sight. It certainly concerned me that mine might be something like yours! As for repairs, they will have to be sourced out to tradesmen, though you are right, I would be happy if mine only ended up costing $10K!

Is the house on piers? Is it brick or clad? Can you see any sagging parts of the roof line? Does your home need a reno anyway?

Property is rendered block base (ground floor) I believe, but second floor isn't block - probably something like rendered look blueboard? Don't know about the roof line yet.
Doesn't need a reno - in it's 10 years of life with the previous owner, they made quite a few quality changes - kitchen and flooring. Nothing really needs doing, but I'll keep it in mind.

You pay around $2500, and they can drill and inject a liquid at 30cm apart all around the home providing a barrier to the home which they will not come near.
Then after that they just top up through the existing holes, again, annually. Its pretty hard to avoid the annual thing. But it is much cheaper once the holes are already there, they put little plugs on them to reuse them.

You can tell I've had issues with termites, eh ...

Best bet is to get a newer house that has a decent termite barrier already, like termite capping or termimesh, but those aren't exactly failsafe either. You can have the most termite proof house ever, then someone builds a deck against it and the termites get in via the deck. Garden beds against the house will do it too, heck, even some plumbing and electrical work will break a termite barrier ...

Sorry to hear about it, Whozat.

We recently had the same issue with one of the IPs. Treatment costed around 3.5K for a 3-bedder house. And another 3K-ish to repair the damage (beams & gyprock). Assumed worst when first heard about it, so bit relieved to hear the bill amounts. We also removed one of the trees in the backyard that was badly infected.

Just on the related subject, we did a pest inspection prior to purchasing the property. And was told that there was evidence of prior termite issue, but no active infestation, hence purchase the place based on that assumption. Just wonder if you guys think I should have a chat with the inspector to discuss some 'cost sharing'? Do they usually have an insurance to cover these things?

I wouldn't start panicking until you know the extent of the damage.... termites are very common, and "extensive" damage can mean quite something different to a pest inspector than to a lay person. We had extensive damage, but it was very limited to one section of the house.....

cheers
Pen

You are right. I panicked a bit early. Similar to you it is predominately one wall, though of course, not having any wall damaged at all would have been better!

Sorry to hear about it, Whozat.

We recently had the same issue with one of the IPs. Treatment costed around 3.5K for a 3-bedder house. And another 3K-ish to repair the damage (beams & gyprock). Assumed worst when first heard about it, so bit relieved to hear the bill amounts. We also removed one of the trees in the backyard that was badly infected.

Just on the related subject, we did a pest inspection prior to purchasing the property. And was told that there was evidence of prior termite issue, but no active infestation, hence purchase the place based on that assumption. Just wonder if you guys think I should have a chat with the inspector to discuss some 'cost sharing'? Do they usually have an insurance to cover these things?

I reread the inspection done on my place as well, and it is so full of disclaimers (eg 'can't adequately assess/guarantee because ... furniture... insulation... type of wall....etc.....') that at a guess it would be hard for you to put it back onto the inspector unless you had another inspection done within weeks of the previous inspector's report and it showed up termites that they hadn't seen. My understanding is that those little critters work fast! My inspector thinks there is about 6 - 8 months of damage in my place. Still, you could have a talk to the original inspector. Even if there is no cost sharing, he might be able to explain the situation so that you don't have to wonder.

I do believe that my place was clear when I bought and that the inspector did a good job. Besides, rereading the report I found that there had been a termite barrier put in place when the property was first built, 10 years previous. The existence of that barrier helped give me a false sense of security.

Back