On the hunt again

Mate, I have no idea. I originally wrote my post in all caps, but the mods don't like that it seems, cause when it posted, only the first letters were in capitals. Overzealousness reigns supreme.

That's a built-in anti-shouting feature of the forum software.

Current status now is the Contract has been signed by our side....and so now we sit and wait. This bit is always like the eye of the cyclone.

So that was the eye passing over.

We are now out the other side, with a legally binding contract on both parties. Here we go with the heel and toe.

Contract has 3 conditions on it, a finance clause from our side and two sets of approvals from their side (one from their Board and one from their Bankers).

Somehow they all have the same sunset date, so she'll be an interested day when that ticks over and we either head off into the sunset amongst the nothingness and I can throw 3 months of my time and two foolscap folders worth of DD into the bin......or we head on into that scary unconditional zone from which there is no return.

Now it's full bore hammering the Banks to give a decent response. So far we've only had two 'responses'....and not likely to get any more. The rest (about 11 have been approached) all just laughed and said the property was rubbish, the 17% yield was way too low, I was far too dodgy to deal with and they wanted nothing more to do with it.

Those two 'responses' were more like quiet fireside chats with a trusted uncle, with words such as ;

• "this is merely a discussion paper"
  • "it does not constitute an offer"
  • "no legally binding obligation on the Bank has arisen"
  • "we may at any time amend or withdraw all or any part of this document"
  • "do not consider this an offer"
  • "no liability is extended"
  • "terms are indicative only"
  • "the Buyer must not rely on anything within this document"

Do ya sorta get the picture that they are a tad non-committal ??

So this is where we are at, and as far as the Banks know, the finance clause runs out on Friday. They don't know we have extended it....cos if they find that out, they'll just ignore us for another month or two.

Sorry if I'm boring anyone....you've all probably fallen asleep by now. The process certainly isn't exciting or adrenalin rushing is it ?? Grass growing comes to mind - that and beating your head against a bank wall.

It won't happen overnight, but it may happen **

** Subject to various Bank clauses which cannot be disclosed by the Bank.

So did you do your DD before having a signed contract?

How long did you give yourself for finance?

I am drowzy but it is all of the election ads on TV.

Nothing boring here Dazz.
Hopefully one of the two that responded will come through.
Do you even bother with mortgage brokers when dealing at this level?
Do you have a plan B (or whatever plan you are up to on this one) if none of the 11 come up with what you need?

Dazz,
I like that you extended the financing clause without informing the bank.
They are notorious for waiting until the last few days to do anything. Will need to try that ourselves sometime.
Good luck with everything.
Never boring.

Somehow they all have the same sunset date, so she'll be an interested day when that ticks over and we either head off into the sunset amongst the nothingness and I can throw 3 months of my time and two foolscap folders worth of DD into the bin......or we head on into that scary unconditional zone from which there is no return.

Now it's full bore hammering the Banks to give a decent response. So far we've only had two 'responses'....and not likely to get any more. The rest (about 11 have been approached) all just laughed and said the property was rubbish, the 17% yield was way too low, I was far too dodgy to deal with and they wanted nothing more to do with it.
That's seems to be a lot of work if the deal just falls over,but the question i wanted to ask is what do the Banks in interest terms%%lend for the business you are in,i guess what one may consider a risk another may not,willair..

Hi willair,

A 70% lend would be reasonable. At that amount we are comfortable.

A 65% lend would be great for the Banks. At that amount it's very tight for us, but just do-able.

A 60% lend would be superb for the Banks. At that amount the deal's dead, not enough moolah.
Thanks for that,just still trying to understand the whole picture i hope it works for the both of you..willair..

Yes - plan B is asking Somersoft forum members if they'd like to stump up some money and we'll buy this thing for cash and tell the Banks to go jump in a lake. A while back someone offered $ 40.00 that's a start. A few more like that and we can ignore the Banks.....

i'm in ... can probably manage more than $40.

A while back someone offered $ 40.00 that's a start. A few more like that and we can ignore the Banks.....
I'm good for $20, if you're interested in part-shares, and as long as I don't have to put it up until after next pay day... ;)

Yes - plan B is asking Somersoft forum members if they'd like to stump up some money and we'll buy this thing for cash and tell the Banks to go jump in a lake. A while back someone offered $ 40.00 that's a start. A few more like that and we can ignore the Banks.....

It's not as crazy as it sounds, there is a lot of private cash around at the moment. You could put a syndicate together, also take a management fee,

you could be 30% owner, raise 30% private investors, borrow 46% private funds lender, as manager you get % of rent paid to you, plus your own share of course

you could do this over and over and with no funds of your own in some projects and just collect the management fee which could be a % of ownership, a set fee, % of rent and growth etc, many ways to skin a cat

It's not as crazy as it sounds, there is a lot of private cash around at the moment. You could put a syndicate together, also take a management fee,

you could be 30% owner, raise 30% private investors, borrow 46% private funds lender, as manager you get % of rent paid to you, plus your own share of course

you could do this over and over and with no funds of your own in some projects and just collect the management fee which could be a % of ownership, a set fee, % of rent and growth etc, many ways to skin a cat

Interesting.
Might be willing to invest a small amount:)

Yes, that's how it's done - grossreal does a lot of this type of stuff doesn't he ?

hehe...show us ya AFSL!:)

Boods

hehe...show us ya AFSL!:)

Boods

i wasn't talking about me doing it, i was talking about dazz putting it together.

However u don't need a license for the syndicate as long as the funds raised are $2m or less. So if property was $10m u could have two different syndicates putting in $1.5m each, dazz putting in $3m and borrowing the rest and no license would be required. It would be considered 'closely held' and avoid the requirements of a license.

big market for this type of stuff especially when self managed super funds can buy one of the units in the syndicate

Last edited:
....I've already done the numbers Bigtone.....it doesn't fly.

The market will only bear a 3 to 5% management fee. For that you have your tail out in the wind liable for suing your *** off if anything hits the fan.

You can do 19 fantastic deals over a 10 year timeframe, then one goes to custard and suddenly you are exposed to something that can wipe out your entire earnings for putting those deals together. No way.

Better to just plug away. The deals won't be as big, but at least you've got control. Someone stumps up $ 20 and suddenly they want full reporting, full disclosure and want to be Chairman of the Board with the right to veto all decisions. Nope, I don't think so.

i think u can get around most of that stuff.

4% management fee and a success fee of 50% of any return over a set percentage would be easier to sell

minimum investment $80k and no authority in decision making, get a 1/4 update and yearly meeting

u make the director of the management company a 'straw man' or woman and u act on a consulting basis

i still believe it has legs and lots of them :D

people have lost faith in handing over the $$ to super funds and managed funds

i wasn't talking about me doing it, i was talking about dazz putting it together.

However u don't need a license for the syndicate as long as the funds raised are $2m or less. So if property was $10m u could have two different syndicates putting in $1.5m each, dazz putting in $3m and borrowing the rest and no license would be required. It would be considered 'closely held' and avoid the requirements of a license.

big market for this type of stuff especially when self managed super funds can buy one of the units in the syndicate

No worries Bigtone...I understand the process...I'm probably coming accross a little miffed as I have spent the last month or so trying to find a loophole that will enable me to legally raise funds for a couple of developments I have my eye on at the moment and without fail, every avenue I lead down always comes back to the need for an AFSL to do it legally. (for the amount I am looking at)
The Corporations Act 2001 is riveting stuff and very convoluted...great bedtime reading:D

...and you're right, there is a fgood market for this stuff at the moment...lots of distressed devvy site sales and banks are'nt lending for these types of deals...perfect private funding/syndicate circumstances...:)

Boods

Back