Opinions on security doors

Hi All,

The tenants in our IP have asked that we fit a security door. The PM has obtained two quotes for me. One is $280 for a single lock door, and the other is $420 for a triple lock door.

Does anyone have any opinions as to the relative value of these two types of doors, specifically with regards to the types of locks? I'd like to install the cheaper door, but only if the single lock is actually effective.

Thanks.

John.

Single lock security doors can be ripped out pretty easily (I've seen the aftermath of one done by hand- agressive guy on drugs i believe)

The triple lock are a better option IMHO and sturdier, better built in most cases..should be able to get it cheaper than $420?

They also seem to be ofbetter quality and I have them on two IP's..the tenant in one (a single mum) loves it for peace of mind (along with the alarm)..and its only one way viewing..no one can see in..

REDWING

Another option

Hi there.

The triple lock door is definitely much better. My Brother in law used to fit them and they are much stronger,

The single ones can be bent at a corner and levered open.

A very cheap alternative: Bunnings sells solid mesh security doors
for about $90. I used 2 of them on a cheapish unit renovation.

They are welded steel bars with steel mesh, and all coated so they aren't too flimsy, but they don't have flyscreen - just "pv mesh" which will stop most mossies I guess. (Not the really tiny sandflies).

From Memory they come in 2 colours -primrose or grey.

They are easy to fit and come with keys. And they look OK too - it certainly made a difference to the place i reno'd. It was the only one in the block with 'security doors' and was able to be rented more easily.

This may not work in North Shore Sydney or Ascot Brissy mind you - depends on the expectation of the tenant really.

The Security door is more of a deterrent, It still can be busted.
It allows the occupier to have the door open to let breeze through without gnats and crims coming through to nick stuff.

Thanks for the info. I'll check out Bunnings, and also see if I can get a better quote for a triple lock door as well.

John.

Hi johnnyb,

The triple lock door is a lot more heavy duty and secure than the single lock.

The triple lock door has one lock that latches at the top, bottom and middle of the door frame, where the single lock only has the lock in the middle.
You must use the key to activate the triple lock. If you just flick the latch from the inside you only activate the one middle latch.

I do have a triple lock on my PPOR, but it never gets used because I dont lock it with the key, I flick the latch and the single lock is used.

I have just recieved quotes to install a door on my IP and the prices were $214 single lock and $480 triple lock.
I went with the single lock.

the choice is up to the induvidual and the neighbourhood I suppose.

cheers

A solid mesh screen is better as kids tend to push holes in the flywire type.
Also has advantage of being able to see out but not in.

The handles on the cheap ones also tend to snap off, and replacement is not cheap ($35). Of course you can't buy replacement handles, you have to buy the whole lock. I have resorted in some cases to cutting down the handles so tenants can't get enough leverage to snap the handle off.

Stirling

I must agree that solid mesh (stainless) screen is better again, but the price is up around $700 for a single door.

cheers

I have received a quote for the installation security doors -

(1) standard door with middle locking mechanism $260 installed

(2) door with middle, top and bottom locking mechanisms $320 installed

(3) crimsafe door which Cheryl was talking about is $750 installed (i think this is a bit extreme).

Direct quote from an email I recieved from my Lismore pm earlier today.

Mark

Voodoo and Mark,

Thanks for providing the quotes you received. Sounds like they're all around the same ball park. After reading the responses to this thread and talking with my PM I think I'll go for the single lock door. I believe the tenants mostly want it so they can get some fresh air on those hot Brisbane nights but keep the insects out, so security isn't the real issue.

John.

Hi all,

I work for a security company and we sell the types of doors that are being mentioned. Our prices are as follows:

Single locking: $290 installed (this was $220 a month ago!!)
Triple locking: $ 360 installed (this was $315)
Crimsafe : $816 installed (was $715)

I'd say the single lock is all you need on a rental. The triple lock can give you more chances of needing repair as there is three times the amount that can go wrong. Not just with the lock mechanism itself but also the holes that are cut for the locks to strike out into. You only need a small amount of movement and you have trouble.

Triple lock is the way to go for your own house thogh as it's so much stronger.

Crimsafe is the best money can buy both in terms or security and also the look of it. Having said that, you can get cheaper imitations (superscreen) which would be ok for a rental. Still be over $500 though.

These are prices for the Ipswich/ Brisbane area and are working on the fact that there is no extra timberwork needed to 'beef up' the jambs. This may account for the higher prices that you have been quoted in some instances.

Regrads,
Jason

Back