Opinions on staffing crisis in a small business

I know how you feel China

Unfortunately it's all part of life in small business

Try running a restaurant that consists of one chef and one waitress! And ten minutes before the shift chef calls in sick and waitress says she can't work because she is too hung over
I wasnt the perfect boss but just accepted it as part of my job
At least your business will still run if you sacrifice your Christmas

Thanks for the empathy. That is why I post my problem here for insight as no matter what small business one is in, there are common principles and struggles.

So how do you run a restaurant on your own? Surely you cannot be chef and waitress all at once?

Thanks TPI. I have some experience via a colleague with the rooms with style. (link 1) However, my understanding is that they really act as a middleman / broker, collecting commissions for the various services required in running a medical business e.g. renovations, recruitment, advice on employment conflicts, etc.

E.g with my recent office renos, I have liaised individually with builders, IT people, my staff whereas these groups that you have mentioned above would probably co-ordinate all the above.

However, they do not really step in to resolve the crisis that I have presented. I doubt whether their recruitment processes are any better than mine. I don't know of any long term secretary of any of my colleagues who have come via a recruitment agency. Often they are coming via word of mouth, SEEk or local newspaper.

However, I will give HPC a call to see what they can contribute to my current crisis.

Yeah I'm not too sure about their fee structures, you'd have to negotiate this upfront with them and have a clear fee-for-service arrangement.

Any service like this is going to cost you something in fees, particularly when you are in crisis mode.

I know you co-ordinated all those individual things yourself for your commercial property, and are more than capable of doing so, but I question the value of this given your significant earning capacity.

Surely your time is better spent on generating more billings than these things?

You've got to ease the reign of control you have over your practice, and focus on what matters more.

The controlling approach hasn't worked for you, so you need to do something different, rather than saying "I could probably do it better myself/I don't think they can do it any better".

Your people management skills are letting you down, so any help in this department right now would surely be useful.

I'm not sure why you say that these groups can't deal with your crisis - they deal with conflict issues between principals and their staff and oversee recruitment, training and billing.

A pure HR/recruitment firm is not the same.

If you had better people management skills you wouldn't have to worry about paying someone to do this, but this appears to be your Achilles heel.

Last edited:
China,

Agree with others about reading Michale Gerber's "Emyth Revisited" - the first few chapters will pretty much describe your situation exactly. You will think "How did he know this? Was he watching me?"

Regarding incentives: Believe it or not, recognition of good work (as oppsed to picking out of bad work) can be worth a whole lot more than $. The other is autonomy - although if Mary had her "system" going, she probably had no issues in that area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6XAPnuFjJc

All the best.

The Y-man

China,

Despite what some people may say above, there is research to suggest a completely "autocratic" model can be succesful.

In other words, a model where money is the main or only driver, selection is based on the existing skills of the candidate, and you control them directly.

While many "boss as friend" will recoil at this, it can work. The main thing is that you do need to:
- pay above going rates
- make it pertinently clear when selecting employees of the deal: I need your skill, you need my money
- you do what I say or we part ways (professionally - nothing personal)

An easier way to envisage this might be how many people deal with tradies that come in to work on their IP's - in many cases they simply pay the money, rely on the skill, and make sure the tradie follows the requirements.

To be sure, you need to maintain professionalism - never be rude, never make personal comments etc (eg "you incompetant idiot" etc). Have metrics avaialble to prove yours (or their) viewpoint (how do you measure if the job is being done well in an objective way?)

The only issue I see going forward will be in terms of growth and leverage - direct control can be hard to delegate (without extraordinary procedurisation).

Right, enough HR lecture for now :)

The Y-man

Attachments

• org blueprints for success.pdf
    200.6 KB · Views: 104
Simply paying a valued staff member more is unlikely to ensure their retention, especially if you're not treating them well or if they don't enjoy the work. Most people have a comfortable amount they want to earn, but once this is achieved other things can become more important very quickly.

If you're relying on salary to retain staff but aren't providing a good work environment, the moment someone else offers a similar amount, they'll jump. I've left most of my previous jobs simply because the work simply wasn't interesting enough, despite counter offers of income. My wife has quit several jobs (even without another job to go to) simply because she didn't like the way she was treated.

On the other hand, if staffs basic financial needs are met, they'll often sacrifice income if they like their job and the people they're working with.

Earlier this year a very valued staff member got very sick and needed a lot of time off for treatment and surgery. I made it very clear that she'd have as much sick leave as she needed on full pay. Her long term health is more important to me than saving a couple of months salary. When she could she came to the office and she made sure her critical jobs were covered. She's also had several job offers over the years which she's consistently turned down.

Employees need to earn their income by being good at their job and working hard. Their loyalty needs to be earned by the employer by paying them fairly and treating them well. If the nature of the work is stressful, the employer needs to find ways to mitigate this and to find other ways to make them want to work there.

Frankly though, if the boss or other employees are a&&holes, there's going to be high turnover.

China

1) Its not as bad as you may think. It may be an opportunity for employee #2 to develop very quickly. Learning meet and greet takes all of 2 days, learning an answering machine takes 15 mins. Give your staff credit for not being braindead numpties, ease off on the micromanage paranoia, and you may find your staff relationships get quite good. Chances are that the newer employee has learned a tonne already via osmosis from Mary and can step up.

2) Contact a temp agency as per all the above recommendations. There are tonnes of people with med reception experience, using hicaps machines, doing invoices, taking bookings, answering phones. Between the temp and employee 2, you will be able to get through 95% of the day.

3) Get an agency or go direct to seek to re-hire. New year new job etc is a good time to re-hire, but dont just hire the first lady through the door, use the temp and employee 2's time to find the right fit for your management style and business.

4) Remove the bloody cameras

Thanks for the empathy. That is why I post my problem here for insight as no matter what small business one is in, there are common principles and struggles.

So how do you run a restaurant on your own? Surely you cannot be chef and waitress all at once?

Well that time I had to call an agency and pay 4 times the hourly rate to get in a chef, who you have to half teach stuff like portion size, presentation, anyway
And then I tried to do the shift with no waitress
However I was overwhelmed completely and one regular customer helped me out while they were eating!!! So I was very lucky on that occasion

Ive had heaps of staff do a no show and never come back, which is all part of the package of hiring younger staff On lower rates, but I would do things a bit differently the next time Eg give then a pay rise after two months
Or get them more involved in the operations or not hiring such young ones

That being said I find that unless you pay stupid money to the staff (ie double or triple)
After a while they get used to it and the generosity of this higher wage quickly disappears and they feel it's normal

The people who I paid extra because I was desperate or I knew that I couldn't replace them too easily

All eventually left feeling they Could get more money somewhere else even though it wasn't true

Thank you. I will read this book. What sort of incentive systems have you got in mind?

Just a small system that rewards the employees when key metrics are reached.

e.g. If an important KPI for you is # of appointments per week / month, they are given some $, or movie tickets, or 2 hrs off, or something that recognises their contribution to the business. Doesn't have to be expensive.

I read in your other post that one of the key reasons she left is the high concentration of customers in a short period of time. Can you explain this further?

Is there a way to spread this out, and make the job easier for staff?

We have regular business review sessions to analyse our businesses (work on them, and not in them) to improve, use technology better, etc.

I've always hated micromanagers..

A happy workforce is a productive workforce China.

Best you start talking to Jane about the way you treat staff and what issues she may have and how everyone involved can create a more cohesive and productive work environment. You don't want her to exit stage right too - which she may be looking right now for all you know.

Professionalise the roles if possible as chindonly has suggested, KPI's set expectations and reward results. If you are actively concerned about insurance payments being met, appointments be followed through KPI them. if there is a debt follow up rate of 100% for the month, reward of x provided. Keeps everyone on the ball. A very small cost for piece of mind for yourself and a more switched on and attentive workforce.

If I had to work in a office with cameras, I'd tell the boss where to jam it.

Same

No tills and they are only on front door, foyer, passageways and meeting room

Context is everything. If I start a new job which already has cameras set up, then I accept that as part and parcel of the new job.

However if I've been an employee for some time, and cameras are installed by the boss (who is not a people person) without any kind of discussion with me, I would probably be adding it to my list of irritations.

Context is everything. If I start a new job which already has cameras set up, then I accept that as part and parcel of the new job.

However if I've been an employee for some time, and cameras are installed by the boss (who is not a people person) without any kind of discussion with me, I would probably be adding it to my list of irritations.

Especially in a very small business with only 2 employees. It'd be very hard not to take it personally in that situation.

China,

Despite what some people may say above, there is research to suggest a completely "autocratic" model can be succesful.

In other words, a model where money is the main or only driver, selection is based on the existing skills of the candidate, and you control them directly.

While many "boss as friend" will recoil at this, it can work.
I'm not advocating the boss as friend approach. Rather, it's about treating employees with respect. It can be things like:
.Consulting with them on their workplace- for instance on ways of collecting payments due. They may have ideas which you haven't thought of. Or there may be ideas you have thought of, but haven't told them- let them take credit for the idea.
.Catch them doing the right thing. Comment on the times when they have done a good job. I was brought up having every fault criticised, and rarely having praise. That damages badly. Mary was obviously doing a great job for you- I suspect that you didn't tell her. It's really hard to do this- we're usually quite good at picking up the faults, but not especially good on praise where it's due. That can be something that's hard to do.
.The rewards for KPIs is a good idea
.Now that you have the cameras- is it possible to point them away from your employees? Perhaps there can be one pointed at the door, and another pointing at the patient waiting area. Consult with your employees, let them know that you want security for them- pointed at places which emphasise security from anybody coming from outside, and not the employees.

China, you're obviously a very smart guy. You've probably done very well in your studies, and you've certainly done very well in some aspects of your business. You're obviously a very strong person- but if you're like me, that can work two ways. Strong can be good when it comes to overcoming obstacles. It can be bad when it comes to dealings with other people.

While I haven't read Managing for Dummies, for $US13.20 it may be worth reading. It does have good reviews, and you can read it by Kindle immediately- there are apps for PC, iOs and android if you don't have a device.

Some of the subjects covered may be of immediate use:
- Organization, time management, planning
- Delegation
- Leadership
- Hiring, interviewing
- Motivating employees
- Goal setting
- Project management, measuring and monitoring performance
- Performance evaluations/ feedback, disciplining and correction of unwanted behavior

I will contact them to see what they offer.

However, I have often thought that with a business as small as myself, I am not sure that their templated approach and fees are justified.

When you use agencies and consultants there are always fees that hurt and make you feel 'well I can do this myself' BUT sometimes you have to spend money to make money.
You have an opportunity (not a crisis) to turn your business into something even better with happy staff, good procedures and also have your staff service the other new tenant if you increased your number of staff.
Look at the workload and how appointments are done (I'm sure any consultant place would) and see if it would be better to have one full time staff member and one person working 5 days a week for half a day during peak client times and to allow person #1 a proper lunch break.
One of the hardest thing of being a manager is to let go and not micro manage IF the staff don't like being micromanaged. Some don't mind it but most HATE it. A monthly or even fortnightly review at the beginning of reports showing outstanding items may be all it needs - nothing confrontational - just be upfront that it is standard practise at the end of the month for the person to produce a report for you which outlines the 30, 60, 90 days outstanding and steps taken to recover them. Institute a method for non payment over 90 days where they go to a debt collector or something. Human error with billing is acceptable but try and work together on looking at any gaps in work processes which can prevent it.

Staff leave sometimes. That's part and parcel of running a business. You're not ever going to prevent that from happening - staff that like a company sometimes move on, or get sick, or go on Workcover, etc.

Agree with others you need to look at your management style, but you also need to have a backup plan for this type of scenario.

Operating with 2 part time staff, as you have, is one.

The other girl's 6 weeks experience is a hell of a lot more than none. Offer her some incentives to step up, and pull down the cameras.

A good manager should know what work in coming in, if that work is being done and the quality of it without the use of a camera.

China

1) Its not as bad as you may think. It may be an opportunity for employee #2 to develop very quickly. Learning meet and greet takes all of 2 days, learning an answering machine takes 15 mins. Give your staff credit for not being braindead numpties, ease off on the micromanage paranoia, and you may find your staff relationships get quite good. Chances are that the newer employee has learned a tonne already via osmosis from Mary and can step up.

2) Contact a temp agency as per all the above recommendations. There are tonnes of people with med reception experience, using hicaps machines, doing invoices, taking bookings, answering phones. Between the temp and employee 2, you will be able to get through 95% of the day.

3) Get an agency or go direct to seek to re-hire. New year new job etc is a good time to re-hire, but dont just hire the first lady through the door, use the temp and employee 2's time to find the right fit for your management style and business.

4) Remove the bloody cameras

This afternoon, I have just interviewed and employed a lady. She doesn't know how to use the computer program but she seems to be perceptive enough and interested to learn.

I think she will be cheaper than a temp and at least knows the local area.

In the interim, I need to source some sort of training support for Jane and this new lady. Probably, I need to approach a colleague and lend one of his people.

Exactly what happened. The lady I interviewed this afternoon did not seem to mind at all.

Especially in a very small business with only 2 employees. It'd be very hard not to take it personally in that situation.

My resigned staff member did take it very personally despite my repeated assurances to the contrary. I handled the whole situation badly. I should have discussed it with her before we relocated to the new premises.

Back