Opportunity to buy house in Tregear/What an for $375,000 with granny flat. Do i?

One "mistake" I've probably made in my investing journey is buying only higher yielding places with lower CG prospects. Meanwhile, my PPOR (in a metro area) far outperformed all my IPs due to CG. If you have the cashflow to support buying in a metro area I would consider that in addition to this kind of property as it might actually get you to your goals quicker (being able to develop your other site)...

I agree. Capital growth is the most important thing.

There are some very good points out there. I'm pretty sure i won't be going ahead with this one.

Tess85, where do you find research on good CG? Which metro areas are you talking about.. i thought western Sydney was metro?

Just wondering is there any reason you are engaging with this particular buyer agent ?

Are you currently living interstate, oversea, or any other reason you can't get to area to find property yourself ?

The number looks ok. some cashflow, but not very exciting.....

13k BA fee ?! Do you mind to share with us who the BA is you are engaging ?

Apart from the finding the property what else do they provide including in this fee ?

Just wondering is there any reason you are engaging with this particular buyer agent ?

Are you currently living interstate, oversea, or any other reason you can't get to area to find property yourself ?

The number looks ok. some cashflow, but not very exciting.....

13k BA fee ?! Do you mind to share with us who the BA is you are engaging ?

Apart from the finding the property what else do they provide including in this fee ?

Was engaging with the BA in hope of securing a deal i wouldn't be able to get by not having the same contacts.

Nope, i live in western sydney myself. I could have accessed it all myself too. The house hasn't been advertised as of yet, hence why the BA is trying to offload it first.

I'm pretty sure all they do is find you a property . Sorry i don't want to name the BA on here

You might want to find out whether a "training fee" is claimable as a tax deduction. Last time I looked Steve McKnight's training course was about $5000 and you actually get a qualification at the end of it.

You might want to find out whether a "training fee" is claimable as a tax deduction. Last time I looked Steve McKnight's training course was about $5000 and you actually get a qualification at the end of it.

There's definitely no qualifications out of this one. I think most replies on this thread may have turned me off using a BA.

There's definitely no qualifications out of this one. I think most replies on this thread may have turned me off using a BA.

By all means pay the BA $13,000 ... which by the way seems very expensive. Or you could take the time to have a go yourself and learn this business first hand.

Take responsibility for your own decisions .. you may make the odd mistake, but over the longer term you will become a much more informed and confident investor.

As far as the BA saying they can put your fee down as a Training Package .... run. Any legitimate business person running a quality service would not be prepared to risk there reputation on this sort of fraudulent advice. A BA's fee is part of doing business if that's the direction you want to take ... Pay it or don't, but I've always found that life is much better with a clear conscience.

As I've said before ... take the time to learn this business ... the rewards can be great and there is no greater feeling than knowing you are getting reward for effort down the track.

Good luck

Mystery

you could take the time to have a go yourself and learn this business first hand.

Take responsibility for your own decisions .. you may make the odd mistake, but over the longer term you will become a much more informed and confident investor.

As I've said before ... take the time to learn this business ... the rewards can be great and there is no greater feeling than knowing you are getting reward for effort down the track.

+1 to this!!

I might wait till the property is advertised and see if I can pick it up for under 350K. Under 320K if the granny falt isn't approved.

Sounds a lot like this one - in which case the GF is not approved..

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-whalan-116412687

Nah its definitely not that one. Either way, im running in the other direction from this one. My tax agent came back with some very bad information about this BA.. including that they are not registered for GST! I was enquiring with my tax agent because i was wondering about whether i could claim they BA fees listed as 'training pckage'.

I agree with the above comment, that maybe i should be experiencing it all myself.. not with a buyers agent. In saying that, my broker has a client wanting to offload a house in salamander bay near anna bay. I haven't done any research on salamander bay yet, but how is it for CG and rental yields, etc. I will look into it all, but i was wondering if anyone had any experience here with the north coast?

Nah its definitely not that one. Either way, im running in the other direction from this one. My tax agent came back with some very bad information about this BA.. including that they are not registered for GST! I was enquiring with my tax agent because i was wondering about whether i could claim they BA fees listed as 'training pckage'.

I agree with the above comment, that maybe i should be experiencing it all myself.. not with a buyers agent. In saying that, my broker has a client wanting to offload a house in salamander bay near anna bay. I haven't done any research on salamander bay yet, but how is it for CG and rental yields, etc. I will look into it all, but i was wondering if anyone had any experience here with the north coast?

Central coast :)

Spend some time on realestate .com . get an idea on how much it's moved and returns etc .

As a rule of thumb , regionals move after capital and when they stop , they stop and can be hard to unload at what you think they're worth .

We've bought regionals and Hobart ( almost the same ) and have held indefinitely or sold for a profit in the same cycle . Buying in early and selling before the peak so we know we can get out .

Cliff

But then I was talking Mt druitt down when Skater and others were buying and they've done well , but they're not buying there now ,they stopped a while ago.
No, it would have to be a good deal to tempt me, & tha doesn't tempt me at all.
And is the GF council approved?
This would be a concern. You are putting yourself at risk if it's not.
$13K BA fee is ridiculous. As you are in Sydney, why don't you go negotiate yourself?

Agree!

Hi guys,
I've been presented with the opportunity to buy a renovated 4 bedroom house with a 1 bedroom granny flat in Tregear /Whalan for $375,000. A buyers agent has told me about it. The buyers agent have a fee of $13,000 and stamp duty is about $12,000. So approx $400,000 including everything. The house is rented to long term (8yrs) tenants apparently at $320. The granny flat has been rented for $205.

$525pw rent altogether.

Is this a good opportunity or does the stigma of the area really let it down? Onethehouse.com.au have it listed at value of below $300,000 (moderate guess). Would this be correct? Or has Sydney really died in growth and I should be looking interstate or at development sites?

I currently own one house which is a duplex site in Cambridge Park. I'm hoping to get $50k-$60k equity to use as a 5% or more deposit on another house.

Any help would be great! Thanks :)
Kimba88,

Basically it is just going to cover its costs.

Questions to ask:
* Is the area going to grow in value over the next 5-10 years?
* For a deposit of $50-60k there are much more better areas nationally to choose from, so why this suburb?
* You will pay LMI on this purchase as your deposit is not >20%

Cheers,

B_F

Last edited by a moderator:
Kimba88,

Basically it is just going to cover its costs.

Questions to ask:
* Is the area going to grow in value over the next 5-10 years?
* For a deposit of $50-60k there are much more better areas nationally to choose from, so why this suburb?
* You will pay LMI on this purchase as your deposit is not >20%

Cheers,

B_F

Well i would think the market would start slowing down to be honest.. so probably not too much more room for growth. In saying that, wasn't the government selling off some of the DOH? Was hoping that would clean up the area a bit.. and when the next cycle comes around in 10yrs or so, it should be worth considerably more.

Only considered this because the BA was very convincing on saying how good of a deal it was. Glad i posted here to find out otherwise. What suburbs are you suggesting are much better?

I paid LMI on my current property in cambridge park.. just wanted to get into the market. Only put down a 12% deposit. I will pay it in the long run, but my pocket doesn't feel it right now.

At the end of the day it's up to you. If you think this is what you want, if it fits in with your risk profile & goals etc. Do you expect to see any CG from this? One "mistake" I've probably made in my investing journey is buying only higher yielding places with lower CG prospects. Meanwhile, my PPOR (in a metro area) far outperformed all my IPs due to CG. If you have the cashflow to support buying in a metro area I would consider that in addition to this kind of property as it might actually get you to your goals quicker (being able to develop your other site)...

All your ips put together or are you comparing individual properties?

One of the reasons for buying for cashflow IMO is to build a BIG portfolio....so when they do make CG you will see far better gains then 2 or 3 "metro area" properties

If you're comparing 10% gains on a $500k inner city property to a $250k cashflow property, then obviously the $500k property is going to come out ahead. But for a normal PAYG individual, your borrowing capacity (and servicing ability) is really limited by buying negatively geared metro area properties

e.g. 3 metro properties worth 1.5 mil on a 10% gain = $150k

10 cashflow properties worth 2.5 mil on a 10% gain = $250k

IMO the ability to buy under market value in areas traditionally linked to high cashflow is usually far better as well

This has been my experience anyway....

Back