oven door

tenant just rang to tell me they had a roast in the oven yesterday when the inside glass on the door exploded. And to see if i can organise somebody to fix or they can chase somebody up.

questions are . who's responsible and is it worth claiming on insurance.

Yes, you as the LL are liable for the cost.. check your LL insurance policy to see what's exactly covered plus weigh up your claims excess payable if any.

Get a couple quotes to repair and to replace the entire oven (it may be cheaper).... dont forget the repair is tax deductible and a new oven deppreciable.

I get my PM's to organise all the quotes, repairs, replacements, lodge LL insurance claims etc etc...thats part of what I employ them to do.

I hope this helps.

I remember seeing something on ACA or something like that a while back. I would google the brand and what happened in case it was recalled or something.

These people might be useful to you, Emo : Charles Genovese & Son, 08 9309 3955. They're based in Wangara, but will travel.

I have used Charles many times to replace parts on old-model stoves and to supply fully-refurbished stoves - he does electric as well as gas.

Be sure to have the make and model when you call, and he may have a replacement door :).

cheers

hi Emo,

That happened to my home oven door. It was only a year old and was still under warranty?

Regards Jo

I had a tenant call me a 2 months into their lease and reported the same thing - inside glass panel exploding, the oven was new at the start so only 2-3 months old.

I thought that he must of broken it - dropped something on it.

I googled the problem and to my surprise it is very common, contacted the manufacturer and had it replaced under warranty

Me too

Same thing happened at one of my IPs about 2 months ago. The outer glass shattered one day when tenant was cooking something in the oven. Hubbie was sure tenant had broken it but I actually went to have a look (as PM was dragging her heals on fixing it) and it had just literally exploded. I also did some research and it is a common problem. This oven is only 18 months old. It was cheaper and easier to get a glass business to supply, cut and fit on site rather than get a replacement from the manufacturer and then have to get someone to fit it as it is a full glass front with holes to be drilled for the handle and trims are fitted with a special double sided tape. Cost me $200.

As a PM I see this happen a lot. Think about the heat extremes that this glass is exposed to, it would only take one flaw in the glass to make it shatter in such a way. If you can get it done under warranty then do, if not your PM should have someone who can do the repair for a resonable price!

have contacted the manufacturers and tried to get a warranty job on it but i only purchased this property 9 months ago with oven already in the house so they wanted proof of purchase. They gave me the no for the guys they use to fix and they should be out this week. looking at $150 for call out fee and 15min labour + cost of part and time to install.

Glass outer door panels are one of the most expensive repairs on an oven, depending on brand. May be cheaper to replace the entire oven.

Back