Overhanging branches

The following email was received from PM.
Property is in Logan Council QLD.

"Dear Stirling,

The neighbours of the property have contacted us once more to lop back the branches at your property next to 32 Ironwood Street. They have advised us that this is causing a rather large problem at the house. They have to clean their drains once a week and the gentleman has a back problem and is unable to cut the trees down himself as we previously suggested. They are unwilling to share the cost and if they do have to take this any further they are threatening to sue yourself and our agency.

I have once more contacted council and they have confirmed that we are not responsible for the lopping of these branches and council can not make us contribute or have the branches lopped if the neighbours ask them too.

If you would like I can ask for a quote to be done as to the expense of lopping these branches. Alternatively I will write to the neighbours and advice them that they have our permission to employ a contractor to lop the branches as long as the tenant is given the correct notice.

Thank you"

Does anyone know the story with overhanging branches in QLD.

Stirling,

I'd be getting a new property manager!

Surely common sense should prevail here!

Your trees, your branches, your cost!

If you're property manager can't organise some quotes for you, what are they actually managing???

BUNDY
:confused:

Stirling,

As the trees are on your side and the branches are on the neighbours side, then as the council states it is not your responsibility to cut the branches down. If your neighbour wants to do that then thats fine but at their cost.

I have the exact same situation on one of my rentals but the reverse. The next door has a whopping fig tree and the branches hang over my LL house. My LL must pay to cut the brances down every year at his own expense. That is the Brisbane City council laws. I think Logan is the same.

To make peace maybe your PM could get a couple of quotes, show the neighbour and say you are prepared to go half (if you want to do that), if they do not agree tell them to cut them back themselves.

Jarrod
Jarrod Lane Real Estate

Bundy’s right. Your trees your branches and most importantly your liability if they damage his property!

Imagine also if he does his back in trying to remove them!

I’d get a quote to have the branches removed ASAP.

Well, I would start by contacting the council direct and asking them what your rights and obligations are.

Once you have the legal position clear, you can then make an informed decision as to your next move.

We paid a contractor $400 to remove three large trees after the neighbour complained about leaves in his guttering (new purchase Sept 03).

The contractor advised that as the trees had been cut back several times before, the risk of borers and branches falling was high so we decided to remove them completely.

Afterwards, the neighbour complained that we had removed them.

Sometimes you can't win!

Stirling,
I have to agree with Bundy on this issue,its your tree and its on thier property,futhermore what happens when someone bumps into the tree and hurts themselves,also if the branches are over the fence then the root systems of that tree will also be in thier yard,next letter will be plumbing problems the tree roots in the plumbing system,storm water pipes,if it was me cut it down yesterday..Logan city council can make things difficult to deal with.
good luck
willair..

Overhanging branches, tree roots etc are not council problems and they will not take any stand in such issues between neighbours (from Brisbane City and Logan City help desk workers). According to them it is a civil issue and must be dealt with between neighbours with legal advice recommended. From my experience, Logan Council will order a tree removed if it poses a threat to neighbouring properties ie termite damage.

According to civil law, land owner is responsible for any damage caused by trees on their property to neighbouring properties unless planted by a tenant. Owner of neighboring property has the right to lop branches or cut roots of encroaching trees as long as it does not cause damage to the tree (so no roundup can be applied to raw stumps:D ). The cut branches and any fruit belong to the tree owner and must be returned to them, or disposed of with their permission. Unless tree owner agrees to pay part or all of lopping costs before lopping takes place it must be done at your own expense and you can then apply through court to have any costs reimbursed by tree owner.

As for being sued for injury, if your neighbour walks into an overhanging branch of your tree or otherwise injures themselves on your tree, they must first prove that you are negligent. As they have the right to remove any such branch, this could be quite difficult. If they injured themselves in removing the branch they must still prove you have been negligent.

My 72 year old mother is going through this very situation with her nasty old bat neighbour - it is not very pleasant so if the situation can be resolved without resorting to legal threats it is much better for all parties concerned.

Best thing is to seek legal advice of course.

natmarie,
You may wish to look into this problem more carefully,if a owner,occupier discharges his reponsibility by not exercising
reasonable care to detect standards of good property
management,you have been given knowledge of the dangerous condition of the trees branches,and are therefore liable,the fact the LOGAN CC, has entered into this problem should ring warning bells ,tree are a potential nuisance and constitute a hazard..
Negligence captures many realities..
good luck
willair..

Willair,

I stated quite clearly that the landowner is liable for any damage caused by overhanging branches. You have pointed out quite rightly that reasonable care must be excersised.

In my mothers particular case, the tree in question grows just inside the boundary between my mothers front yard and the neighbour's driveway. The neighbours have already lopped all branches that overhang their property but are now trying to make my mother chop down the whole tree because small branches and leaves blow onto their garage roof and driveway.

Brisbane Council will not become involved as they say it is a civil matter and must be settled between my mother and her neighbour. The tree is not a dangerous tree - there are no large branches which could fall onto the house. It is young and healthy and maybe only 2 metres high.

Nat, I'm gobsmacked!
WHY should your mum's neighbours have to do her gardening?
My neighbour has a tree that would be at home in a rain forrest, a meter from the fenceline. The branches streatch over 10m into my property so recently I climbed the biggest ladders I could find with a chain saw (over 60, bung knees) to trim what I could and the only correspondence was not to damage her garden.

Your trees....... Your responsibility!

Thommo,

Sorry, but where did I say that my mother is expecting her neighbours to do her gardening???

You are clearly not taking the time to read the post correctly and are jumping to emotional conclusions before analysing all the information.

Stirling, I would recommend you visit the Legal Aid QLD website. they have a database of legal information which is free to access. Under civil law and land subject headings you will find what the law says about trees.

Good luck.

But Nat, you did say "The neighbours have already lopped all branches that overhang their property ". Isn't that "doing the gardening?"

And you have no sympathy should they injure themselves removing said branches.

"As for being sued for injury, if your neighbour walks into an overhanging branch of your tree or otherwise injures themselves on your tree, they must first prove that you are negligent. As they have the right to remove any such branch, this could be quite difficult. If they injured themselves in removing the branch they must still prove you have been negligent."

I still think the old bat neighbour has a case.

Yes I did say that Thommo, and no, its not.

The law clearly states that it is the neighbours responsibility to remove branches that overhang their property. This is not doing my mothers gardening at all. It is actually maintaining their own property as the branches (not the tree) are on their property. In effect, you are doing the same thing by removing the branches which encroach into your own yard.

The tree owner is only responsible for any damage caused by the tree, not if the neighbour injures themselves on the tree, or while removing branches from the tree unless the tree has been deemed to be hazardous.

Cheers!

OK

The tree belongs to you, the branches grow where they may, but if they cross the boundary line the neighbour can cut them back to the imaginery vertical line of the boundary.

Yes, returning branches etc. This also means they cannot pick a lemon or a plum from your tree and consume it, but can rake up all the rotting fruit and return it to your land if they choose to do so.

I have neighbours to one of my places who bought their place around four years ago. The trees have been there since about 1974.

My property is to the south of the boundary, and of course the trees grow towards the sun.

I have instructed the property manager to tell the neighbours they are welcome to shear the trees off vertically if they like. Regrowth will occur on their sunny side of the tree. They can do as they wish with the prunings but I do not want them back.

I have also stated that I am happy to remove the trees altogether. The subsequent loss of privacy will affect each property unless they are prepared to plant along their side of the fence. Planting along my side will produce spindly growth because of the fence shadow and the branches will grow over the fence again.

However, in the interest of health and safety I have asked said property manager to organise a general pruning of all trees on my property. This was last done about three years ago and cost nearly $500.

The crew chainsawed their way around the entire place, including walking around the roof with a mini chain saw attached to a long pole, reaching out to wizz off anything close to my roofline. They then mulched everything to sawdust and roared off into the sunset.

While the crew is there the neighbour may like to ask for a quote for their side of the fence.

Tree Roots:

I had an interesting case (Body Corporate) where four units had suffered extensive subsidence of the strip footings and the brick work had cracked severely, to the point that parts of the wall had become unstable.

The engineer's report blamed the Lilly Pilly tree plantings (a long line of them planted alternatively with swamp Melaluca) on the adjoining property. The neighbouring house was weatherboard, and had suffered no damage. It probably had red gum sole plates which had either decomposed or were not affected by the shrinking of the subsoil.

However, Lilly Pilly love water. Their root systems are extensive. The tree had dried the subsoil allowing the strip footings to 'roll', and as bricks and mortar are not elastic the couple of millimetres roll was enough to twist the wall and break the mortar open.

Solution:

The trees were cut down and the roots poisoned. A trench was dug along the neighbours boundary and this was filled with coarse aggregate and soaker hoses were laid in the trench. The hoses were left to drip for three months, after which hydrostatic tests were conducted on the subsoil.

When this had hydrated to an acceptable margin, the footings were dug out, the wall underpinned and the brickwork repaired.

This work cost over $10,000 (four years ago). The matter had been referred to VCAT and the neighbour was instructed to contribute to the cost of the rectification works with the body Corporate insurance covering the balance.

Some time later while inspecting a property as a Buyer's Agent, I was astonished to come across exactly the same situation. The bricks had twisted so far off line you could put your arm in the gap. Surprisingly, inside the house there were no gaps or cracks, the timber frame on stumps was not affected, again the damage was with the strip footings. However, with this house, the roof members had also twisted. The thirsty neighbouring Lilly Pilly directly opposite the main cracking had also had its natural drip zone affected by this house concreting the driveway, thus reducing the soak available to the tree.

Law of Tort:

Duty of Care:

Rylands v Fletcher has established that if anyone should bring anything onto their land which, by it's escape, causes harm to another, then that person is responsible for the harm.

So if you plant, or allow to remain, trees which have extensive root systems you are responsible for the damage caused by the tree roots.

It is not reasonable to expect that your neighbour will dig to expose the roots.

However, tree branches are accessable and the neighbour has the right to remove any unwanted foliage which may overhang their title.

Trees shed branches. Trees can look healthy, then along comes rain and a strong wind, and the branch is off or the tree is uprooted.

The damaged householder's insurance company would firstly assess and attend to the damage, but it would remain to be determined whether the owner of the tree was negligent. Just because you wake up with a large branch in bed beside you does not mean your neighbour has been negligent. Not everything has to have a hero and a villain.

Natmarie, I would consider the issue with the neighbours seriously. Lilly Pilly (unless a cultivar bred for the purpose) are notorious for damage as I have described. They also drop squishy berries and other nasty gardenny things guaranteed to infuriate fussy neighbours. More to the point, this tree may damage your mother's own property particularly driveways and paths, if not the strip footings of her house.

Inspect the tree, location, etc logically. If it is logical, remove it and replace it with insipid boundary trees such as James Sterling, Pivot or perhaps a Camellia, planted well within your mother's boundary.

She may grieve for the Lilly Pilly for a week or two but that is better than years of bickering. Replace it with a Lilly Pilly in a safe, open space such as the middle of the lawn (or move the one you've got).

My mother had two magnificent Lilly Pilly, planted midway down their 200 ft long block, These magnificent sentinels produced huge amounts of berries and were a source of great joy. However, although they had been deliberately planted out of harms way even then they buckled the concrete paths in that area of the yard.

Good luck, hope the situation can be resolved without fisticuffs!

Cheers

Kristine

Most (all?) councils don't get involved with tree disputes.

My neighbour (old lady) had 3 camphor laurel trees right next to the fence which overhung my place and gave me a great shady area. I cut back any branches that grew low enough to bang your head on. She used to apologise for the mess they caused when they shed their leaves - I didn't care. It was lovely to see and I raked them up and put them in the rockeries for mulch. Other than that the trees were never a problem although camphor laurel trees would be considered a problem tree.

Developers bought her place and had the trees cut down but didn't remove the roots. Trees tried to regrow and they started to push up my concrete driveway and I couldn't open my driveway gates fully - developer (new neighbour) responsible and had to remove the root ball etc. It was the size of a huge refridgerator and the roots stretched well under my garage and house and some snapped as they were dragged out by the backhoe thingy. Council guy was there at the time on another matter and said the roots probably stretched into next door as well and would probably try to regrow and developer would be responsible for future problems. Developer at the time was saying stop your whinging now - that's it - roots gone. I have had various camphor laurels try to pop up since which I kill off with poison. Had he left the bloody things alone which weren't in the way of what he built ( a concrete driveway on the other side of the property and he uses the rest as a carpark for his staff) we wouldn't have had this problem at all!

Another story - neighbour behind and over one had a willow tree that lost a branch in a storm which fell on the fences of 4 of our properties. It was their responsibility to remove the branch and repair all the fences.

To the best of my knowledge you are allowed to go up vertically from your boundary and prune/lop any branches from trees belonging to others. The owner only becomes responsible for removing the tree when the tree actually causes damage or has the potential to cause future damage, but this usually means tree dying, branches likely to fall etc. and does not cover possible damage caused by someone walking into a branch or roots in sewer pipes for example until it actually is a problem and can be attributed to that particular tree.

Cheers
Olly

Back