Owning Interstate Property

I have owned property interstate for some years. I have a very reliable Agent/Property Manager who I trust. However, I find I still have to be absolutely up to date with what is happening and try to fly there at least once a year, particularly for Owners Annual Meetings where property is strata titled.

I had booked to fly up in May, so organised an inspection of particular property for my arrival. They had moved in January and complained in April that one of the airconditioners was not working properly. I told PM go ahead and get it checked out, aircon company inspected and said aircon needed to be replaced. I tried to find out exactly which aircon, as there are 4 in the townhouse. In the end I said, don 't do anything as I will be there next month and I will follow through.

I went through file and copied all invoices for replacement aircons and repairs. On arrival I discovered it was an aircon that had been replaced 2 years previously and was under a 5 year warranty.

The aircon company had charged me $85 for visit as I had not gone ahead and taken up their quote for a replacement.

I showed PM the copy invoice and she was straight on to it. Aircon company Manager replied that they were sorry, but it had been a new engineer who had inspected the aircon and had "presumed" it was old. They would immediately send engineer back to inspect and see whether it was possible to repair.

I am now pushing for a replacement aircon under warranty. Quote stated 5 year replacement of aircon with 12 months warranty on installation.

Aircon company is now being very slow in going back to inspect.

Property Manager is new and was not around when the aircons were replaced.

Chris

It does happen on occasion but you should find it will end up ok. The PM has a loads of information about each property so it can be hard for them to sort through, its always a good idea to keep you finger on the pulse.

I recently had my pm sending the plumber around every 3 months, they didn't pick up it was happening regularly. I had to get involved and sort issue.

It's amazing how slow some companies work when it comes to warranty work - it almost seems as if they want the warranty to expire before they get there.....

It wouldn't hurt to send your PM an email once a week just to ask if there has been any progress. That way your PM won't feel hassled, however, they will get a gentle reminder to follow up the company and let you know what is happening so you can feel confident that it is all being taken care of.

Unfortunately when taking over a portfolio not all PM's are good at making notes so although we do try to read the previous notes before speaking to a landlord if the info isn't there we do depend on the owners a little I'm afraid.

I keep in regular touch with the PM and yesterday I received a message telling me that the Aircon company had been and checked out aircon and found a "little" leakage.

They have now contacted manufacturer and are waiting to receive further instructions. They believe they will have to remove the inside of the unit and send for testing before it will be replaced.

The thing that amuses me is that on first inspection it was...No good must be replaced!!!! now its a warranty issue....its just a "little" leak.....

I have been in this property business long enough to know not to give up too easily :)

Chris

ha ha ha - good thing it's a 5 year warranty and not a 3 year job. Your warranty would run out before anything happened. :p

Aircon company have advised today they will be replacing aircon next week under Warranty :)

It pays to keep your finger on the pulse .....

Chris

Back