Paint Vandalism

We are selling an investment property in NSW and 12 days off of settlement. Have been alerted to paint being spilled over the driveway, doorstep and walked through the house. We live 700kms from the property so not somewhere we can easily just pop over to have a look.

Tenant moved out 30th October and both property manager and sales agent are accusing each other of
a) allowing the tenant to leave the property in a mess
b) walking paint through the house

Police investigation has concluded it is not typical vandalism. Yellow paint has been spilled and there are various items on the property that have splatters of yellow paint. a glove, bucket, newspaper and a cat litter tray and hose found in the bin with paint splattered on them. It would appear the paint may have been walked into the house by a child when the sales agent took buyers through for final inspection.

Of course, the property agent, sales agent, buyer and tenant are all denying any knowledge. So we are left to foot the clean up bill. The doorstep and internal marks on the floor should clean off easily. The concrete is slightly different in that it will be left with a light stain. I imagine this will probably fade in time. So now I am concerned the buyer is going to make an issue of this. I realise they are entitled to take over the property in the same way it was presented at contract. I doubt whether insurance would agree to pay for complete re-concrete of the area.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks

The paint will come off the driveway with a high pressure cleaner.
You say the paint should come off the other areas relatively easy.

What can you do?

The only way I see is to get a cleaner to clean up, may be cost a couple hundred, if that.
Doesn't seem like you'll get anywhere with the PM or sales agent.
Just another property related expense.
Move on and forget about it.

Try Aeroguard to remove paint.

I didn't believe it would work until I tried it myself. And to think we spray this stuff onto our skin!!!!

Regards

I doubt a child could drip paint so far without being detected so it sounds like a spiteful outgoing tenant or a simple person not aware of their surroundings.
Did paint go on carpet in house? This would be my concern because paint on concrete is easily removed. Surely your PM or selling agent can take a few pics with their phone and email you?

Landlord's insurance?

What came first - the PM doing the final inspection (after the tenant vacated) or the selling agent with the final inspection pre-settlement?

Who brought it to your attention?

Insurer is not going to pay to replace concrete, it is a little surface damage - water blast or abrasive

Thanks everyone for your responses. Problem sorted. We deduced $300 off the sale price and the new buyer is taking responsibility for clean up. The mystery will never be solved but at least we can all move on now.

Back