painting acrylic on enamel

hi.....this is probably going to sound like a silly question but your help is appreciated.

can i paint acrylic paint on top of a wall that has been painted in enamel ?

Hi eyespy,

In my experience you can't paint acrylic over enamel directly....you can but it peels off really easily with any kind of bump.

What I have done successfully is first paint an oil based (clean up in turps) primer (it was pink and dried as a flat finish) over the enamel first and then paint over that wiith acrylic - worked a treat.

The primer is also good to paint over spots like texta etc first which stops "bleed-through" into the paint applied afterwards.

There might be some painter on this forum with more up-to-date techniques but this works for me.

Cheers,
Aimy

Hi eyespy,

Oil based primers work really well, they are a bit more of a pain to put on a whole wall though and are very smelly.
I use the acrylic 3 in 1 primers such as Bristol All Prep or Taubmans 3 in 1.
It is a good idea to etch the surface you are going to paint with some sand paper to allow the primer to stick to it extra well.

Bronwyn.

Hi eyespy,

Oil based primers work really well, they are a bit more of a pain to put on a whole wall though and are very smelly.
I use the acrylic 3 in 1 primers such as Bristol All Prep or Taubmans 3 in 1.
It is a good idea to etch the surface you are going to paint with some sand paper to allow the primer to stick to it extra well.

Bronwyn.

very good advice :D

I haven't been in the situ of acrylic over enamel but have done enamel over acrylic. That is, acrylic primer (WK Grip Lock works well for crappy or unusual or marked surfaces) with enamel paint on top (tile paint and laminate paint)

Back