Painting Aluminium Windows

I've just bought an old fibro house (dump?) and it's quite a "picture".

I'm not going to be able to make it look "normal" so I thought I might as well make it look "unique".

I want to paint it a darkish colour, but I'm wondering about the aluminium windows.

Has anybody had any experience painting raw aluminium? I'd like to paint the window frames black, but the guy in the hardware store looked at me kinda funny when I suggested this. I could see him thinking "You get aluminium windows so you DONT have to paint them!".

Cheers

Cornflower

Hi Cornflower,

There are two ways of doing this ...the easy way and the professional way.....
I think maybe we'll stick to the easier method
1:clean ally, go to auto shop and get mag wheel cleaner, follow instructions making sure you properly clean it all off.
2: also available from local auto shop is etch primer (for non ferrous metals), I would recommend getting an aerosol can as this is applied as what is called a scatter coat (very thin coat)
3:then undercoat (not entirely necessary)and finish coat with compatible paints (also from auto shop).
oooo ..doesn't this sound like a lot of fun.......

enjoy

rossv

ps: did you say black...warning! this will cook in summer and not last very well.

I presume you mean "raw" aluminium windows, not the jazzy powder-coated ones that exist these days.

Preparation is the key. Paint does not adhere to aluminium particularly well because new aluminium oxidises (a powderey feel to the metal) which makes it harder for paint to stick to.

However, I believe there is some kind of "metal etch" type product which must be used as your first coat to ensure proper adhesion.

I would still suggest they are difficult to paint, however, because aluminium windows have lots of thing edges where paint can come off easily, whether by accident or otherwise.

I have decided to sell our property and had mission brown aluminium windows through out.

Little preparation, just a wash, go to one of the window manufacturing places in my case Trend in Bayswater
Purchase touch up paint spray pack in a range of colours.

Mask up and spray 2 coats,
Cans cost $6.00 and 2 cans did a great job
I was asked by three people how much did the new windows cost

Fredo

Hi all,

Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I'd just revive this one :) The property i'm currently renovating has faded brown aluminium sliding windows with aluminium fascia. The house is weatherboard and the windows really don't do it justice. I'm looking for ways to cheaply dress up the windows to make the property more appealing. It will be a rental so I don't want to spend a fortune replacing windows.

Has anyone tried painting aluminium windows? It does sound like a fidly task. Since the windows are exposed to the elements (i.e. rain, sun, wind), I don't want to waste time painting the windows if it will just crack and peal off, or fade again in a year or two. I'm guessing if I use the correct primer and paint, this shouldn't be an issue. A nice powdercoat finish would be ideal

Brown is such a bland colour when it comes to aluminium windows. I wouldn't mind going for a different colour, something more neutral. The weatherboards will be painted white. Any suggestions? I'm considering replacing the aluminium fascia with timber fascia as well for a bit more period charm.

Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Ozi

Hi,

In regards to restoring window frames, what is the best way to clean them? I mean clean them thoroughly?

e.g. windows that have not been cleaned for years, dust and rain has turned to solid dirt in the tracks?

If this was stage 1 of a reno would steamer and air compressor be an option?

Any ideas on anything less messy?

Regards
Michael G

Good question Michael! I guess without cleaning them properly, you are only wasting your time with painting. I haven't really looked into this, but I read in another thread (or forum) that someone recommended using mag/alloy wheel cleaner. You can buy the stuff quite cheaply in cans at Supercheap Auto.

Not sure if there are better methods.

Ozi

Hi there,
I have painted aluminium windows many times and also quite recently.
There is a product you can get from Bristol and Bunnings and probably most places called White Knight Rustguard Apoxy Enamel. It is designed to go over metal and stop it rusting and holds up pretty well to the outside elements. It comes in a range of colours including black and white, but if I ever want to pick a certain colour they can also tint up the tins to the required colour.
I can't remember if it comes in a spray can, I only ever paint it on with a brush, with is quite fiddly but looks really good like a powdercoated finish.
I would suggest cleaning the frames down first and even giving them a light sand to etch the surface before painting straight on, a primer is not needed first.

Hi bronwynt,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I will take a look at the White Knight Rustguard.

I'm not looking forward to cleaning the windows thats for sure!

Cheers,
Ozi

I had painters paint some aluminium windows in a house at Vaucluse to match the new powdercoated windows. They first treated them with Penetrol-- that product you apply then wipe off. This I think might eliminate the need for sanding down the aluminium windows- fiddly-- The result was v good and paint was still like new after 3 years and that a situation close to the sea. all the best

Hi,

What's the best way you've found to clean the frames, my concern is how to clean into the corners without pushing the dirt into a corner.

Michael G

If it's just a bit of dirt, warm water and detergent like sugar soap I usually only need to use, but if its really thick and stuck on there, propably a scraper with a blade on it and then sandpaper will be the better option. Not much you can do to get it out of the edges but to have a sharp knife like tool to flick it out. Bit of elbow grease I am affraid to say.

Back