Painting over bathroom tiles.....

Hi guys,

I'm planning to spruce up a tired second bathroom. There are daggy green cracked tiles in the shower recess which I hope to replace with the same texture and then paint over.

If anyone has done something similiar I would appreciate any tips and what paint to buy.

Thanks in advance

Swany

Hi guys,

I'm planning to spruce up a tired second bathroom. There are daggy green cracked tiles in the shower recess which I hope to replace with the same texture and then paint over.

If anyone has done something similiar I would appreciate any tips and what paint to buy.

Thanks in advance

Swany

don't do it. it's bloody horrid stuff to work with and live with and DOES peel after a few years.

tiles are so cheap these days why not just chip them off and start again? i guess that assumes you are handy with such things.

each to his own bc, I have used it several times over several years, still happy with it as a cheap and quick alternative to retiling. Search "white knight" in this forum there are previous references to its use. I have found it doesnt peel off if you do good surface prep.

I did it with white marine paint (the type they use to paint boats hulls) for the wall tiles. It came up really well. Was white paint over dull white faded tiles. Was told this is better than White Knight for use on tiles.

I used White Knight 2 pack enamel on the bath-also came up well though can show brush marks easily. A year later both tiles and bath still look good.

each to his own bc, I have used it several times over several years, still happy with it as a cheap and quick alternative to retiling. Search "white knight" in this forum there are previous references to its use. I have found it doesnt peel off if you do good surface prep.

1+

All the research I have done points to this paint. All I would ever consider painting though, is grout...

I have painted tiles in bathrooms with just standard enamel paint in white - turned out to be a good result. the only thing is, with all enamel based white paints, they do go a little yellow with time - although this is better than some of the old tiles I have painted over!!. I am painting over a dark pink colour at the moment, they even painted the walls above the tiles in a ligher pink to match:eek: I hope this to last about 3-5 years when I will replace the tiles then.

One tip to avoid brush marks is to use a short nap roller. You will not get any brush marks, but the finish is not quite as smooth as a brush, although I think it looks better than brush marks.

Guys..thanks heaps for the help. Will head to Bunnings and check out White Night.

I was wondering whether to brush or use a roller. I get the impression most brush it on.

Thanks again everyone.

Swany:)

Guys..thanks heaps for the help. Will head to Bunnings and check out White Night.

I was wondering whether to brush or use a roller. I get the impression most brush it on.

Thanks again everyone.

Swany:)

I've used White Knight's tile and laminate paint on a lamipanel bathroom. You can't use a roller - brush only. It's also very thick and sticky, which makes painting a real chore.

However the results are well worth it and the finish looks great.

Good luck!

I've used the WK products several times now, on both kitchen laminate cupboards and kitchen splashback tiles. Have even tried the Tub N Tile product for a bath, which wasn't a success :( However, the latter had more to do with a dripping tap ruining the finish than the actual product.

I've also seen friends reno bathrooms with WK paint over wall tiles (wouldn't recommend floor tiles however) and it looks great- even 3 yrs later.

For a more expensive option (but perhaps still cheaper than tiles, depending on area and type of tile etc) check out the resurfacing companies like mendabathroom.

Happy painting- oh and by the way, I tried the roller option but had more control and success with a brush. Make sure you thin it if it's a hot day as it does dry very quickly. Also helps with avoiding brush strokes.

Back