Pavement vs. Crushed concrete for Walk Way to granny flat

Hey All,

Got some quotes for driveway & our walk way to the granny flat. These came in at 20k for ~180sqm. I believe we can halve it by choosing an alternative material for the walk way to the granny flat. I was thinking along the lines of crushed concrete.

Has anybody tried it? Any alternate suggestions to this pavement?

http://www.turtlenursery.com.au/quarry_products.html

Thanks,
MsAli

Hey All,

Got some quotes for driveway & our walk way to the granny flat. These came in at 20k for ~180sqm. I believe we can halve it by choosing an alternative material for the walk way to the granny flat. I was thinking along the lines of crushed concrete.

Has anybody tried it? Any alternate suggestions to this pavement?

http://www.turtlenursery.com.au/quarry_products.html

Thanks,
MsAli

Find a cheaper concreter.
Sounds rather expensive for 180sqm.
The guy used charged $65 (ex GST) per sqm.

Then again, I don't know what your land looks like, so if there are earthworks it could explain it.

I considered the 60x60 paver + pebbles. Decided to go with concrete as it worked the the same and would be lower maintenance in the long term.

Find a cheaper concreter.
Sounds rather expensive for 180sqm.
The guy used charged $65 (ex GST) per sqm.

Then again, I don't know what your land looks like, so if there are earthworks it could explain it.

I considered the 60x60 paver + pebbles. Decided to go with concrete as it worked the the same and would be lower maintenance in the long term.

Nek, it's a coloured driveway...is that the same as concreting?

Nek, it's a coloured driveway...is that the same as concreting?

Mine was plain concrete, from memory, he mentioned if I wanted stamped or stencilled it was $75 +GST?? maybe more?. Coloured was definitely cheaper that stencilled, but obviously more expensive than plain.

Any reason why you want coloured for the granny flat walkway? It doesn't add more rent. Something simple like concrete path with pebbles on the side would look nice and be cheaper as well.

Just a walkway right?

Use large pavers.

Kill the grass with poison, lay down plastic sheets and pave over the top.

Don't even have to pave all the way across, just put pavers every now and again, foot length apart.

If u want it colored, buy a tin or two of paving paint, a long stick and a roller. I painted my driveway and I am the anti-tradie. Didn't take long at all.

I made a gravel foot path recently....time will tell how well it lasts. Previous concrete path was utter rubbish. Had buried rubbish and no steel, cracked and uneven everywhere.

Dug down the entire area of the path by 100-150mm into the dirt and boxed in the edges using 200x50 sleepers fixed to star pickets driven about 500mm into the ground. Lined the bottom in geotextile and shovelled about 2.5cu. m gravel into the boxed in section. Cost about $130 to cover 20sqm and a lot of shovelling/digging in hard clay. Probably would have taken a day with a person on a dingo, as opposed to 2 days and LOTS of hard work.

Back