PC build Brisbane

Hey guys, well my desktop cacked itself today, it turns on, but power fails after about a minute or so. I'm gonna look into getting it checked out, but if the repair price is too prohibitive (most likely) then I will look at getting a new box. There's a repair place just around the corner, so I'll go talk to them tomorrow. I did a site search, but didn't find what I was looking for.

I know MSY are good, but I was wondering - does anyone here know of any others? I am looking at Umart as well. Basically I am looking for just hardware components (no monitor/keyboard/mouse and I will be installing Linux on it myself) and would like to transfer my existing drives to the new one as well.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I saw these (http://www.supertechcomputers.com.au/products.htm) and was looking at the Ultimate 1 and 2 packages. Basically I'm not a hardcore user, just the usual stuff - internet, email, listen to music, watch movies, use Open Office, etc.

Thanks!

Could be just a stuffed up power supply - $20 to $40 depending on wattage...

On the other hand if it's a processor overheat or something, could be more painful....

The Y-man

Was just browsing Umart a few minutes ago actually, so I'd recommend them too. I'm looking forward to having an SSD as my main drive when I next build a PC.

I've used umart on various occasions in the past - no complaints. PC Case Gear in Melbourne has a great website, good service and cheap shipping relative to distance and umart seem to price fix with them lol

I personally wouldnt buy from gamedude... too many unhappy customers. Don't know if its changed over the last 1.5 years, but thats enough to turn me off.

MSY are cheap. But their service isnt the best. You will get the best value for money from them (provided you know how to tinker with computers).

For not so computer literate (by that I mean hardware tinkering), I'd go with a dell.

Thanks for the recommendations, guys. I have been looking at the following from MSY: http://www.msy.com.au/SYSTEMS/INTEL-Value.pdf (the one on the rightwith the H55M motherboard). Seeing as how it's only going to be used for standard stuff, not gaming, do you think I'm better off getting the i3-550 for $390 or spending the extra $100 on the i5-760?

I am going to be swapping out the HD's on my existing system to the new one and also my graphics card as well. I did a bit of reading on the motherboard in the box and the card will work.

Seeing as how it's only going to be used for standard stuff, not gaming, do you think I'm better off getting the i3-550 for $390 or spending the extra $100 on the i5-760?

I'd say that depends on what kind of PC you're coming from... if it's only a couple of years old then I'd say spend the extra, but if you're currently used to using a 5-year old PC, then even an i3 will feel really fast so why waste $100.

I'm currently on an Intel E8400 and will get i7 for my next, but I like to edit 250mb files in Photoshop. My rule of thumb is that if anything I do more than once a week takes longer than 10 minutes, then my computer is too slow. It's often the case :)

Thanks for the tip Ian! I have ordered the i3. Next stop - monitor. Mine flickers off occasionally these days, so it's time to look for a new one. Anyone have any recommendations for one? I am looking for something as big as possible (looked at a few 27" ones) as I watch a lot of movies/television on my computer rather than the telly.

I am looking for something as big as possible (looked at a few 27" ones) as I watch a lot of movies/television on my computer rather than the telly.

I have been using a 40 inch kogan 1080p lcd (samsung panel) for a year now and it is amazing, bought online and delivered to the door.
I have a 22 inch samsung lcd off to the side that I thought was good up until now

I have been using a 40 inch kogan 1080p lcd (samsung panel) for a year now and it is amazing, bought online and delivered to the door.
I have a 22 inch samsung lcd off to the side that I thought was good up until now

I wouldn't recommend using a 'TV' as a monitor unless you plan to always sit several feet away from it (i.e. Do your computing from the couch with a wireless keyboard). If it's on your desk in front of you, make sure you get a real monitor (many retailers mislabel tv/monitor these days). Currently anything > 30" is probably a TV.

Back