Pending forum outage tonight

AWS isn't really the direct competition - although they certainly do compete, they have a very different business model to "traditional" VPS providers.

There are literally hundreds of VPS providers out there now - many with cheaper offerings.

However, it is technical support which really sets the provider we use (Linode) apart from most of the others. Their rock-solid reliability is also a major deciding factor.

I do actually use AWS extensively for most of my websites - S3 and CloudFront mostly, haven't started using Glacier yet and I do intend to use Elastic Transcoder when I rebuild ZooChat later in the year. But I prefer Linode for core hosting.

Somersoft v4 (coming later this year) will most likely use a combination of Linode + Amazon S3 + Amazon CloudFront for hosting and content distribution.

Thanks sharing your experience with the service providers, Sim. Apparently, on top on the well managed infrastructures, a skilful administrator like you is the key to keep a site rock solid! :D

Although I only started hang around with this site recently, I have never seen an unexpected outage and the site was loading quick at all time to me. Well done!

Back