Penrith Council

Has anyone developed townhouses in this council area before?

There is a block for sale with a pre-approved DA for 4 townhouses. Single storey with an attic. The question was to put to council as to whether there could be two storey dwellings built, same floor area, but they said no as it is zoned 2C.

Is it possible, feasible or worthwhile submitting a request for approval for a DA with two storey dwellings? How flexible is this council?

In my limited experince with council, they bend the bloody rules all the time. Particularly if precedence has been set with another development.

Thanks!

So, the block you are looking at is probably around St Mary's/Oxley Park. If you do a drive around, you will see many of these developments around this area.

I have never been down the developing path, however I was told a long time ago (and bear in mind, my memory may not be as good as I think it is) that these places are not allowed to have plumbing upstairs. They can get the double storey thing happening only by having an attic (as bedrooms) upstairs, but no bathroom/ensuite is allowed on the top floor.

I am sure if you call the town planning department they can give you more information.

2C zones

A 2C zone in Penrith Council permits the construction of a single storey dwelling with an attic above as you know.

A 2B zone in Penrith Council permits the construcion of a double storey townhouse.

I deal with Penrith Council on a daily basis and they will bend the rules slightly, for example if you don't comply with the landscape area, you can vary the percentage required by 10% as long as you provide a SEPP 1 objection, then it can be determined in house. If you go over the 10% non-compliance, you will need to attend a Council meeting.

Your chances of getting Council to agree to a double storey dwelling in a 2C zone is practically non-existant.

What you need to do is to change the zoning from 2C to 2B - talk to Council's subdivision townplanner about if this is possible.

The reason you will see some double storey dwellings in the middle of the 2C zone is that the area will be a mix of 2B and 2C zones, especially if it's Oxley Park you're talking about. Have a look at Council's zoning map and you will see this.

You're better off buying a 2B zoned land if you want to build double storey - it will be much easier.

Good luck.

Back