Development experiences with frankston council

I've got a house on just under 900sqm in central frankston that I'm considering developing.
With the new planning schemes, I'm not sure I'll get approval for three double storey townhouses, but thought I'd ask for some experienced opinions.
Does anyone have experience with Frankston council developing lots under 300sqm? My place is near the botanical gardens, so quite central. It's likely to fall under the general residential zone with the planning reforms

Good council to deal with. Best to wait till July 1 to know exactly where you stand. All comments up until to that date is a guess.

Oscar

So, the Planning Scheme changes post July 1 mean there are no minimum lot sizes applicable to my lot, but Council have told me they still favour development applications on at least 300sqm.

Have anyone encountered issues with Frankston Town Planning with less than 300sqm? I'd be looking at about 260sqm for each once common property is factored in.

Appreciate any input based on experience.

I was very impressed with the efficiency of the council in the first 6 months. I received precise and prompt information. The engineering team we dealt with was great and worked closely to us to plan, for example our parking, to maximise space available.
One issue that I had all along though was their unwillingness to issue a written approval for our business to practice. It sounded like our field does not need a permit!
The last 6 months has been horrific. We are effectively back to square one. It all started when the engineering team was re-organised. One of the young guns that joined the team seemed inclined to re-assess everything. He re-visited our parking layout; and when I got my wife to try to find the engineers who originally approved the layout, he backed off and said it was all good.
Since we also have to have a sign put up, he seized this opportunity to again re-visit the parking layout. Now he wants to do a site visit and he will most probably come back with a long list of things he does not like.
We originally thought we would be up and running within the first 6 months after reading how the council is pro-business and want to get on with it; but a year down the track we are nowhere near. It is not easy to pay a massive mortgage and have no return on it. I have tradies aligned to do our back carpark but I think I am going to stop this. And quite possibly sell the property come spring/summer. It has just been too stressful.
I just wanted to warn others interested to go down this path; it is not all peachy.

I was very impressed with the efficiency of the council in the first 6 months. I received precise and prompt information. The engineering team we dealt with was great .

Good.

One issue that I had all along though was their unwillingness to issue a written approval for our business to practice. It sounded like our field does not need a permit! .

Sometimes, these things happen. What field are you in?

It all started when the engineering team was re-organised. One of the young guns that joined the team seemed inclined to re-assess everything. .

All it takes is one young self-important smart ar$e to make life impossible. You need to arrange a meeting and be extremely assertive. If you can, make sure the other engineers who approved the work attend. One of the former mayors might be able to help as he knows how things work. PM me for details.

I just wanted to warn others interested to go down this path; it is not all peachy.

Development is never easy and is not for everyone. In any case, take heart for we are now in a sellers market so you should do well if you hold your ground when dealing with local agents.

I was very impressed with the efficiency of the council in the first 6 months. I received precise and prompt information. The engineering team we dealt with was great and worked closely to us to plan, for example our parking, to maximise space available.
One issue that I had all along though was their unwillingness to issue a written approval for our business to practice. It sounded like our field does not need a permit!
The last 6 months has been horrific. We are effectively back to square one. It all started when the engineering team was re-organised. One of the young guns that joined the team seemed inclined to re-assess everything. He re-visited our parking layout; and when I got my wife to try to find the engineers who originally approved the layout, he backed off and said it was all good.
Since we also have to have a sign put up, he seized this opportunity to again re-visit the parking layout. Now he wants to do a site visit and he will most probably come back with a long list of things he does not like.
We originally thought we would be up and running within the first 6 months after reading how the council is pro-business and want to get on with it; but a year down the track we are nowhere near. It is not easy to pay a massive mortgage and have no return on it. I have tradies aligned to do our back carpark but I think I am going to stop this. And quite possibly sell the property come spring/summer. It has just been too stressful.

Shame grand_dad isn't around anymore, I'm sure he could help you out with a call to his old boss, the Valuer General.

Thank you Cassandra for the PM.

I would rather not say what field we are in at this point as this could fall on wrong ears :)

The next few days are going to be critical for us.

Cheers.

Back