people featured in magazines

I mentioned it only because it shows that not everybody who gets into property investing gets interviewed in the media for being successful. The possibility of interviewing somebody about their failures was raised. This wasn't about investing failures however.

This was somebody who did not leave in a bad standing. However I will not respond to any further questions.

If the public read my failure stories, there would be a few thousand fewer people starting a career in property investing. I don't think that would attract advertisers for their mags.

If the public read my failure stories, there would be a few thousand fewer people starting a career in property investing. I don't think that would attract advertisers for their mags.

Haha yes. I had somebody approach me about my switch from property to business. When they heard what I had to say they weren't interested. (However the results were a lot better after years of pain repaying the loan and then selling).

You're right, magazines/newspapers/TV etc reliant on sales and advertising don't want to rock the boat by publicizing the failures, and there are plenty in all investing mediums including property.

I didn't even break any common sense investment strategies at the time.
Buy in SEQ post GFC in 2010 - along comes the Jan 2011 flood... Fail. The market fell in every location in Qld except Gladstone. OK, so buy in Gladstone and make $1000 a month profit until 2013 _ Market drops in Gladstone... Fail

I followed all the API's standard procedures.

No one would publish this!

I think the reps for SPI and API are on SS,

I had SPI approach me but declined as I didnt fit the profile they were specifically looking for.

API approached me initially and we did the interviews but they didnt publish it, thankfully. However they did another story and they published that quite sensationally

I wouldnt expect the mags to put many bad stories on there as magazine sales is proportional to the strength of the property market and sensationalism sells!!! plus they want to appeal to the typical reader which would be the average joe looking to start out or has just started

at least we have the opportunity to give back

Hey,

I can clear this up. Used to work at SPI as a journo/features editor before moving over to edit Property Observer.

Essentially, different buyer's agents, companies and similar (including advertisers, partners and people we're generally friendly with - i.e. my old editor/boss is on the PIPA panel, an investor himself, and well-connected) can let you know of someone worthwhile speaking to, and I used to buzz a few people asking for any interesting clients. I also went to a number of different seminars and meetups, and found investors this way.

Then there's always someone who just *wants* to be profiled. Some say they'd like to be so that they are kept accountable e.g. they have a goal in print in a national magazine. We ran an ongoing 'win an iPad' campaign for people that were up for being profiled too.

I always loved writing them and meeting the real life investors - some good times. Also some of the hard times as you want to present as much as possible, but then the potential profile flakes out about wanting to include their income, debt, age, etc (which, personally, I can understand). V tricky when you want to include as much detail as possible.

Sorry about the above's experience not being eligible for a profile. I personally don't remember the team when I was there rejecting anyone specific, but of course it's a busy news day every day.

In terms of negative "nightmare" stories... people are a LOT more private when they're doing badly, so finding people to speak out on this is tough. I have nothing against a bad property story myself - there are plenty of Moranbah, Gold Coast etc investors who bled over a period of time and it's always worth telling that side to the story too.

Jen

I've been wondering how that couple who were your investment property investors of the year are faring? They'd bought millions in moranbah. Hopefully they got themselves into a safe position before the downturn there.

I get approached often to put forward Investors Choice Mortgages clients who fit the story the journalist is writing about. I don't advertise in any of these magazine, which I think is the common perception, however I am asked to comment on things for articles so I do that if the article is something I think I can add value too.

One thing that API does that I think lends itself to its high calibre of reporting is that it doesn't name the company that the person was recommended by. It is not an advertorial or the like.

I agree with the consensus here on the bad news stories. I started going to property seminars in 1998. After the first 5 there was nothing new other than the back stories - and most back stories were "how I lost it all then did ... to fix it". I started writing down the back stories and using those as learning pts to grow my portfolio. Recently there has been some interesting bad stories in API. I reviewed one in my monthly review of the magazines it is in the Feb archive if you are interested http://yourpropertysuccess.com.au/your-property-success-toolbox/

In that story the guy could not retire due to the Trust structures he had the properties in - even though it seemed he had worked long enough to build a portfolio that will allow him to stop work. From memory there was also one mid in 2013 as well of a couple who sold up and retired only to be revisited 3 years later when they had to return to work. All compelling stories.

As for me I still like hearing the story of the pizza driver who made good.

Jane Slack-Smith

I've Been a API suscriber for while.
Enjoy some of the Reads and Stats.
However as previously stated in this thread I'm getting a little annoyed with the stories:

Latest Issue:

How one Couple "Grew" a $1.5Million Portfolio by 28.

Easy, they just went and bought three units of the plan using a buyers advocate valued at approx $1,460,000 and let them settle in a few years.

Maybe I am being to harsh, but I was expecting more...........

Cheers

Wirra

Last edited:
However as previously stated in this thread I'm getting a little annoyed with the stories:

Latest Issue:

Easy, they just went and bought three units of the plan using a buyers advocate valued at approx $1,460,000 and let them settle in a few years.

Maybe I am being to harsh, but I was expecting a little more...........

Cheers

Wirra

I saw that one too,

3 x OTP random apartments and they are instant property guns!!!

also, I know somone who grew a $1.5m portfolio, quite quickly.

however, he was arrested for growing a commercial quantity of marijuana ;)

i was approached by the mag and did an interview twice on apartment renos and importing building materials.

I don't think i did it coz of ego as i had a good collection of photos of all my properties and i was not the usual investor in terms of building equity. not sure why but i did get couple hundred emails and many requests on facebook which after a few months, i really did not like it and decided not to do it again.

Latest Issue:

Maybe I am being to harsh, but I was expecting a little more...........

Cheers

Wirra

You are not being harsh.
It is a shame API did such a story.

They have purchased in May 2010, Sep 2012 and Dec 2013. And their equity gain so far is 15k. Lots of markets around Australia went through a mini boom in 2013. If those purchases were good enough, they should have gained around 100k in equity. So they have actually lost money if those potential gains are taken into account.

API used to have good investor stories.

Latest Issue:

Maybe I am being to harsh, but I was expecting more...........

Cheers

Wirra

I found the stories were becoming very underwhelming. I stopped buying it. Perhaps if I didn't read this forum I might be more impressed.;)

I was sick of reading stories like you mentioned. There seemed to be a run on young guns and most of them were stories where some young person or couple simply bought 3 average properties. As you said, little gain, sometimes none. For example 2012 bought a property for $350K with 20% deposit. Today worth $360K. And 2 similar properties and they have a $1m property portfolio.

Most people on here would be worthy of going in the magazine based on that criteria. A know a few people here that have been approached (through this forum) and declined.

I saw that one too,

3 x OTP random apartments and they are instant property guns!!!

also, I know somone who grew a $1.5m portfolio, quite quickly.

however, he was arrested for growing a commercial quantity of marijuana ;)

Ah, the perfect method: build a business, invest the profits in real estate.

Now why won't API feature this bloke?

Back