Peoples thoughts on Adelaide?

Doing my research now. Flying down there to check it out.

Totally different market. If I did what would be the most logical in Sydney down there, I'd loose money.

Really need to spend time getting to know not only the area, but understand what the locals want.

Will be interested to read what you have to say during and after your trip.

Client of mine just bought a property after looking for 12months, was 50 people through the property in 2 days they were successful with offer $10k above asking price.

Sounds like it might be getting too hot. I wonder where your client was looking?

Sounds like it might be getting too hot. I wonder where your client was looking?

Too hot? Water just got to a nice temp.

More a case of decent property priced sensibly, valuation came back saying price paid is at the 'upper end' but came back at contract price. But property had lots of interest, higher price was required to secure the property.

OK
Just looking at the examples that you've posted - some very attractive properties there ...
Are you suggesting that we try to gazump them?

Good to know - makes buying less hectic.

Are there many people needing to rent in Adelaide?

Oh don't worry, it's still hectic.

Tight vacancy rates generally, however there are some soft rental markets within the inner suburbs where you can rent a $600,000 property for less than a $300,000 outer suburb property. Go figure.

Oh don't worry, it's still hectic.

Tight vacancy rates generally, however there are some soft rental markets within the inner suburbs where you can rent a $600,000 property for less than a $300,000 outer suburb property. Go figure.

yeah an interesting place that deserves the research - probably a visit,too.

Adl has some of the most beautiful homes in Australia, however it's the economy that always drag home prices here down... Basically anything bought over 2008, you see an average year growth of 1-2%. So imagine if you bought a property at $280,000 in 2008, it's worth prob $320,000, $330,000 now. How depressing!! :(

Adl has some of the most beautiful homes in Australia, however it's the economy that always drag home prices here down... Basically anything bought over 2008, you see an average year growth of 1-2%. So imagine if you bought a property at $280,000 in 2008, it's worth prob $320,000, $330,000 now. How depressing!! :(

Because of a spike and then dip.

In the last 12 months I've had property vals in certain areas increasing by up to 10%.

Because of a spike and then dip.

In the last 12 months I've had property vals in certain areas increasing by up to 10%.

Whereabouts? Only areas I saw good growth rate over the past 12 months were the expensive areas like Norwood, Toorak Garden.

Hi all,
most comments seem grounded in reality. Western suburbs are seeing a lot of infrastructure improvements. In Le Fevre, there was a huge hike in 2007-08 then a slide and a bit of frozen in place.

This year, the seller's market has improved. Over a 7 year period, the increase is around 1-2% average.

But the good news for the investor is that the rental market had quietly improved, tenant quality has improved too because of the devt going on.

Go take a look at the Swinging Basin area. I think Largs North has almost doubled in size with the Mariner's Way and now the Bayriver projects.

And look at St Clair.

If I were going to crystal ball, I'd bide my time & then buy something in the Seaton/West Lakes area. Not now, a bit later if prices go down. I think it might do so because of the footy action moving out of West Lakes.

Too much from me already.

KY

Whereabouts? Only areas I saw good growth rate over the past 12 months were the expensive areas like Norwood, Toorak Garden.

You might be relying on median prices for stats, which can skew the numbers.

Client revals up ~10% recently have been in:

Elizabeth North
Paralowie
Ingle Farm
Sefton Park
Richmond
Gilles Plains

Off the top of my head. This is without renovations of course. Great buys no doubt, but the same reflections can be found where people have purchased in 2008, and their vals are now -10% of their purchase price.

Are they with huge block of lands or new homes?

Where would you recommend looking now? :)

A huge variance of stock to be honest.

Units in Richmond + Sefton, all the outer suburb blocks are 600sqm+ blocks. No new builds - though

Recommendations all comes down to your strategy. Whether you follow development, renovations, buy and hold, cash flow. The type of property needs to fit your goals. No point recommending development areas if you don't intend to develop, or negatively geared properties if you are on a low income looking for a cash flow strategy!

As always though, the outer northern presents strong cash flow and long term development opportunities, the middle owner occupier dominated ring is ripe for development to cater for FHBers looking to stay within the local areas they grew up etc. Inner suburbs is purely speculative, Anyone looking to purchase in the 700k-1.2m range are well informed on their options there. :)

At this stage, I am more into anything that can be positively geared (i.e. below $350K with rent of around $340, $350) and has the potential of CG. I am looking at some of the two bedder units in blue chip areas, but with a history price check on them finding that they basically only grew 1% every year since 2008, is kinda discouraging... Was thinking if I should look at interstate like Melbourne SE where there are still heaps of units at that price but with much higher CG potentials.

State budget will be announced later today and it might give a glimpse of how property markets will perform here in the next 12-18 month. Things are definitely not looking good in SA.

Back