Peoples thoughts on Adelaide?

I always have soft spot for Adelaide as I grew up there, attended primary, secondary, university, as well as my first job.

Adelaide always has problems retaining the brightest and strongest. They all go to Sydney and Melbourne for jobs. I am an example of this (not saying that I am bright and strong though :p) and have been living in Sydney for last 14 years.

I always told my better half how much cheaper Adelaide homes are compare to Sydney, especially our trips there about 2 months ago. You can certainly get a lot more value for money in Adelaide compare to Sydney. I already told her that we should move to Adelaide if everything fails and we cannot afford to live in Sydney when we get older and lost our jobs. Selling our houses in Sydney (1 PPOR and 1 IP) we should be able to buy Adelaide outright with decent loose change. I cannot imagine Adelaide homes being more expensive than Sydney in future.

It is sad to see after leaving Adelaide to Sydney in year 2000, things haven't changed and it seems SA has gone backwards compare to the rest of the mainland states.

I am looking at IP in Adelaide but I don't think it is time for me to jump in yet. I am waiting for all the bad news to flush out in next 2 and 3 years .....

Adelaide always has problems retaining the brightest and strongest. They all go to Sydney and Melbourne for jobs. I am an example of this (not saying that I am bright and strong though :p) and have been living in Sydney for last 14 years.
I graduated uni and moved to Sydney and was living in Redfern with one of my aunty's friends. I got homesick though and moved back to Adelaide.

Domestically if houses were just based on wages and growth in Adelaide than housing would still remain affordable. But with the internet and the globalised economy Adelaide will increase with price due to it being a 'cheap' mainland state and a hub for investors looking for bargains. We do have an exodus of young people in this state; however, we also have a strong education sector that takes in a lot of international students who mainly rent.

We've got a new medical research centre in the CBD so hopefully Adelaide can diversify into R&D and foster some job creation through Health.

Sharing an opinion/news.

+1

Making investment decisions based on government promises is asking for trouble.

Adelaide will have its time to shine. They won't let it become another Detroit. Just need to get the NIMBY's out of the place. There is billions that needs to be spent upgrading South Road and the government will do it if only to stimulate the economy.

What do you guys think of hackham west and Huntfield Heights areas? Houses seem like less work involved than up north but slightly less yield (but still good) of about 6.5%

Got a couple settling next month, a house in Huntfield Heights first, I'm hoping to get 290pw when the lease runs out.

Next one in October will be 7.8% yield, I can't get that in Sydney!

Adelaide growth is unsure but it hasn't moved for 5 years, I don't think the next move is down.. But I can't predict growth. I can take the yield though so they won't cost me anything to hold forever..

Do you guys think the areas down south will improve?

What do you think about the highway?

Do you guys think the areas down south will improve?

What do you think about the highway?

Huntfield Heights and Hackham are known as the Davoren Park of the South with honourable mentions awarded to Christie Downs.

Recently there's been a train line extension to Seaford and duplication of the Southern Express Way but I don't think it really matters tbh.
The bulk of the traffic and congestion is all situated around the interesections of Sturt and South Road and Daws Road and South Road.
None of those intersections have been expanded for decades so until they add more lanes it's still going to be a long commute to the CBD from down south.

The other problem that I see with Hackham and Huntfield Heights is they don't have much developedment/subdivision potential due to the distance from the CBD and the demographics of the area. People that live there like having backyards and not being fenced in right next to neighbours.

On the positive side a lot of UK migrants love the South because it's close to beaches and wine regions and they are happy to incur the opportunity cost of travel for the lifestyle the south provides. Plus they can breathe new life into poorly thought of areas like Hackham and Huntfield Heights.

Overall I'd expect modest capital growth in these areas.

Huntfield Heights and Hackham are known as the Davoren Park of the South with honourable mentions awarded to Christie Downs.

Recently there's been a train line extension to Seaford and duplication of the Southern Express Way but I don't think it really matters tbh.
The bulk of the traffic and congestion is all situated around the interesections of Sturt and South Road and Daws Road and South Road.
None of those intersections have been expanded for decades so until they add more lanes it's still going to be a long commute to the CBD from down south.

The other problem that I see with Hackham and Huntfield Heights is they don't have much developedment/subdivision potential due to the distance from the CBD and the demographics of the area. People that live there like having backyards and not being fenced in right next to neighbours.

On the positive side a lot of UK migrants love the South because it's close to beaches and wine regions and they are happy to incur the opportunity cost of travel for the lifestyle the south provides. Plus they can breathe new life into poorly thought of areas like Hackham and Huntfield Heights.

Overall I'd expect modest capital growth in these areas.

When was the last time you were down south in these areas ? Hackham West has a few bad streets but Hackham, Christie Downs and Huntfield heights are all going through change. There are many subdivisions going on, houses getting renovated etc.

They have sped up the train line, opened the expressway. Adelaide CBD is small compared to other major cities, alot of people that live down south dont' work in the CBD and there is really no need or want to actually go there anyway....

Last edited by a moderator:
You are a prize idiot newbie. When was the last time you were down south in these areas ? Hackham West has a few bad streets but Hackham, Christie Downs and Huntfield heights are all going through change. There are many subdivisions going on, houses getting renovated etc.

They have sped up the train line, opened the expressway. Adelaide CBD is small compared to other major cities, alot of people that live down south dont' work in the CBD and there is really no need or want to actually go there anyway....

I've got friends that live in those areas. It's not so much the houses it's the people that are bad. Vandalism, graffiti, break ins, and domestic disturbances are common occurances. My mate in Christie Downs has a bikie that lives on his street but he's pretty quiet. His son on the other hand is on home detention and constantly has parties and dodgy blokes coming around. His next door neigbhour sells drugs so there's people coming over at all hours of the day and into the night. There's a lot youth around the area that are unemployed so they've got nothing better to do than going around slashing tyres and throwing rocks through people's windows.
Oh yeah and than there's the gangs DSM, SMC, and SD who go around gate crashing parties and bashing people and selling ice.
The high schools in the area are terrible as well.

difference of opinions

I've got friends that live in those areas. It's not so much the houses it's the people that are bad. Vandalism, graffiti, break ins, and domestic disturbances are common occurances. My mate in Christie Downs has a bikie that lives on his street but he's pretty quiet. His son on the other hand is on home detention and constantly has parties and dodgy blokes coming around. His next door neigbhour sells drugs so there's people coming over at all hours of the day and into the night. There's a lot youth around the area that are unemployed so they've got nothing better to do than going around slashing tyres and throwing rocks through people's windows.
Oh yeah and than there's the gangs DSM, SMC, and SD who go around gate crashing parties and bashing people and selling ice.
The high schools in the area are terrible as well.

Sounds like your view is skewed by your own bad experience in the area, you are welcome to your opinion, however I'd like to share mine to balance the argument.

I have many friends living in the area, who enjoy the local amenaties and ease of access to the beach. Most don't work in the CBD so the commute is of no consequence. I have 2 IP's nearby and although some of the houses on my street are housing trust tennanted, the renters are friendly and are keeping their properties neat and tidy.

I believe your horror stories are the minority not the norm, you can get bikies/druggies living in any area...I know of one who owns his own house 100m from the water in Henley Beach....

I believe the area has capital gain potential over the medium to long term. If you look back at the past 10yrs capital growth % figures for the southern region, it has performed largely the same as Adelaide metro, although of-course from a lower price point.

I can see many older poorer housing stock being demolished to make way for 2 higher quality courtyard homes. There definately is gentrification underway.

Just my 2 cents

Sounds like your view is skewed by your own bad experience in the area, you are welcome to your opinion, however I'd like to share mine to balance the argument.

I have many friends living in the area, who enjoy the local amenaties and ease of access to the beach. Most don't work in the CBD so the commute is of no consequence. I have 2 IP's nearby and although some of the houses on my street are housing trust tennanted, the renters are friendly and are keeping their properties neat and tidy.

I believe you horror stories are the minority not the norm, you can get bikies/druggies living in any area...I know of one who owns his own house 100m from the water in Henley Beach....

I believe the area has capital gain potential over the medium to long term. If you look back at the past 10yrs capital growth % figures for the southern region, it has performed largely the same as Adelaide metro, although of-course from a lower price point.

I can see many older poorer housing stock being demolished to make way for 2 higher quality courtyard homes. There definately is gentrification underway.

Just my 2 cents

Echo this.

Not familiar with Huntfield Heights, but Hackham definitely isn't as bad as the picture is being painted. Agreed that Adelaide underlying CG hasn't appeared to move much in the 3 years I've been gone, but there's plenty of opportunity for yield or creating value in that region

Thanks guys I had thought of them as lower socio-economic areas but slightly better than Davoren and Smithfield plains, better quality houses and higher rent, slightly less yield.

If all goes well with the tenants they will be bringing positive income and the growth will be a bonus.

There's been some ripper reno potential properties around Huntfield Heights etc right now, look at these beauties:

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-huntfield+heights-117779599

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-hackham+west-117783835
*this could be a deal of the year if done right*

Perhaps the previous tenants of these properties are the kind of people that 2FAST4U is talking about :p

I saw one of these the other day, looks to be good deal if you fit the affordable home criteria.

I saw one of these the other day, looks to be good deal if you fit the affordable home criteria.

A few people have been looking at these, when the time period expires and no one has purchased, investors will hit up the agent with offers.. I think there will be some competition on that day :p

Not me though, I've finished buying in SA now just waiting for them all to settle.

A few people have been looking at these, when the time period expires and no one has purchased, investors will hit up the agent with offers.. I think there will be some competition on that day :p

Not me though, I've finished buying in SA now just waiting for them all to settle.

Right, thats interesting, might have to give the agent a call

Right, thats interesting, might have to give the agent a call

You can't put an offer on until the expiry. Generally on expiry day everyone puts their best and final offer in. These get taken to the Housing Trust and highest (and best conditions if comparable prices) wins. No negotiations, no back and forth.

Adelaide will have its time to shine. They won't let it become another Detroit. Just need to get the NIMBY's out of the place. There is billions that needs to be spent upgrading South Road and the government will do it if only to stimulate the economy.

They definitely won't become another Detroit but unfortunately not being to top cities in Australia for jobs, it will always put Adelaide in disadvantage.

They have been talking building the South Road Motorway linking north and south since the 1990's. Guess what, it was all too hard as you would need to clear out so many houses they decided not to do it. Even the current spend on South Road upgrade is bandaid solution. But maybe that is the only way to slowly (very slowly) improve South Road.

I heard about the Aust government's view on pricing of the submarines. Really not sure about the future of ASCs and potential loss of even more jobs.

Back