Peoples thoughts on Adelaide?

It's out to tender now. It's already happening. The super way is finished, the southern expressway duplication is done and torrens to torrens is out to tender now and will start next year.

I need to go back and have a look now it's finished. I left Radelaide just as they were starting to inconvenience people. Torrens to Torrens I wasn't aware of...

I would lean towards inner-city north-eastern suburbs such as hectorville, tranmere etc if you can spot a bargain. In my experience these houses don't tend to attract the nasty type of tenants that have been described in this thread in the far south/north of Adelaide, and there is huge development/subdivision/hammerhead potential to make big money.

Danae Leslie
Property Manager
www.steadfastproperty.com.au

I would lean towards inner-city north-eastern suburbs such as hectorville, tranmere etc if you can spot a bargain. In my experience these houses don't tend to attract the nasty type of tenants that have been described in this thread in the far south/north of Adelaide, and there is huge development/subdivision/hammerhead potential to make big money.

Danae Leslie
Property Manager
www.steadfastproperty.com.au

They don't seem to attract the 8-10% yields you can make in the outer areas either unfortunately!

What do you guys think of Morphett Vale in comparison to Hackham/Huntfield?

It seems a little bit better, is it worth a $30k premium on the price?

The median is about $40k higher - is this because of new builds, or is it because it's just a nicer area?

Thanks

MV is a pretty big suburb and there's different sides of it worth different amounts.

In general i'd rate it higher than hackham. I'm not really familiar with huntfield heights though.

Depends on what you have to spend?

$400-500k croydon, prospect, broadview, manningham.

$300-400k I would look north eastern corridoor (gilles plains, holden hill, cleaview, hillcrest, windsor gardens, greenacres, paradise, highbury) at anything with development potential. Whole area is seeing big infill, old ugly houses are getting knocked down and new nice houses coming in. Pushing out old tenants out and new families coming in, with higher rent and higher values.

$200-300k would look suburbs little bit further out. modbury, ingle farm, para hills

$150-250k would look further out again. elizabeth, salisbury for north and south around the christies area.

Am just starting to look at the Adelaide market, price range would be on the 300 - 350 mark. I copy/pasted the quote above ( thanks Brady ) from a different thread as I searched through the forum.

My high level scan, from a price point, I have picked to close in on
Para Hills -- 18 kms from City Centre, PF Median 290K
Gilles Plains -- 12.2 kms from City Centre, Median 337K
Clearview -- 9.6kms, median 356K
Holden Hill -- 13.2kms, median 320K
Ingle Farm -- 16.1kms, median 290K.

Curious tho, Holden Hill, Ingle Farm is close to Highbury ( median 455K) , median price difference is quite big.

Thanks.

Curious tho, Holden Hill, Ingle Farm is close to Highbury ( median 455K) , median price difference is quite big.
Highbury has a lot of curvy little streets, some on hills, in and around the River Torrens with some very nice houses that would lift the median value of the suburb I suspect.

AmCurious tho, Holden Hill, Ingle Farm is close to Highbury ( median 455K) , median price difference is quite big.

http://www.homesales.com.au/location/ingle-farm-sa/
Ingle Farm has a population of 8620 residents, with an average income of $606. The median price for houses is $284,067 and the median price for units is $241,799. House prices in Ingle Farm have grown by -5.88% in the past 3 years and -0.32% last year. The average house in Ingle Farm is rented for $320 per month and returns a rental return of 5.60%.
23% Rented

http://www.homesales.com.au/location/holden-hill-sa/
Holden Hill has a population of 3176 residents, with an average income of $621. The median price for houses is $327,264 and the median price for units is $239,138. House prices in Holden Hill have grown by 3.86% in the past 3 years and 2.88% last year. The average house in Holden Hill is rented for $310per month and returns a rental return of 5.00%.
36% Rented
http://www.homesales.com.au/location/highbury-sa/

Highbury has a population of 6647 residents, with an average income of $827. The median price for houses is $425,414 and the median price for units is $298,344. House prices in Highbury have grown by 2.10% in the past 3 years and 0.49% last year. The average house in Highbury is rented for $320 per month and returns a rental return of 4.75%.
11% Rented

Highbury is a better area demographically and is more family orientated so it has better houses. It's also close to the hills and you get nice views. Holden Hill is going through a gentrification with property investors sub dividing a lot of the old blocks. The surrounding suburbs of Holden Hill have also gone through a similiar transition e.g Hillcrest, Oakden, Klemzing. So it's an area on the rise being close to North East Road.

As for Ingle Farm I don't really associate it with being North East because when I think Ingle Farm I think Bridge Road/Pooraka region more. Not sure what the houses are like around there either.

Thanks heaps for the tips.

Just another curious point, whether I am reading this correctly. I picked up another tip from the forum, just to check the no of HCs in an area.

http://atlas.id.com.au/tea-tree-gul...1&topicAlias=renting-social-housing&year=2011

Where I had a sample area selected, Modbury North, shows number of houses = 188, number = 9, percent = 4.8.
Number = 9, represents the HCs in the area?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 2014-09-24 20_41_57-Social atlas _ City of Tea Tree Gully _ atlas.png
    2014-09-24 20_41_57-Social atlas _ City of Tea Tree Gully _ atlas.png
    483.1 KB · Views: 72
Correct. You won't find a huge amount of Housing Trust left in the areas, as they are slowly being sold off. A contact within the Trust told me recently for every 10 trust properties sold, only one property is replaced - the bulk of social housing is being shouldered onto NRAS stock.

Property markets do not operate in a vacuum and cheap house prices do not in themselves assure growth in real terms over the long term unless the economy is creating jobs growth, population growth and real wages growth.

The demographic statistics today continued to show how South Australia has long been suffering from a debilitating "brain drain" and statistically significant net interstate migration. and thus the state has been heavily reliant upon immigrants to keep the population growth figure positive.

Nothing wrong with that per se, one might argue, but people will only continue to come if there are jobs for them to come for, and the labour market has been stagnant for some years now in South Australia.
http://petewargent.blogspot.com.au/2014/09/population-growth-explodes-in-nsw-slows.html

Hi, hobo-jo:

I notice that you have very contrary views comparing to many others. I am an extreme contrary person too. I get into the market at least 2 years earlier than See-Change.

However, I have got lost about your successful story/strategy in your investment. It would be nice if you can share how much net gain have been made by selling in the high and buy in the low. Just some examples.

Also, when are you going to be back to the market in Adelaide? Two years later?

Hi, hobo-jo:

I notice that you have very contrary views comparing to many others. I am an extreme contrary person too. I get into the market at least 2 years earlier than See-Change.

However, I have got lost about your successful story/strategy in your investment. It would be nice if you can share how much net gain have been made by selling in the high and buy in the low. Just some examples.

Also, when are you going to be back to the market in Adelaide? Two years later?

Hi ToGetProperty

I think you will find that hobo, after 8 years and 2600+ posts on this Property Investment Forum has never actually bought an investment property.:rolleyes:

What are people's thoughts on Oaklands Park?

If you were to purchase in Oaklands Park, it'd probably be more for a CG play rather than yield or cash flow. Prospects long term seem reasonable - it's in a relatively strong location in close proximity to Marion shopping centre, Flinders Uni, the Seaford rail line and the new hub at Tonsley Park, so it does have a bit going for it and would have relatively strong tenant demand based on location.

Any update for the Christies (down and beach) guys?? seems like all the properties on the market get snap quick..

If you take a look re.com.au or domain, property that have potential reno/subdivision all are "under contract"

Should I release the temptation to get another one?

If you were to purchase in Oaklands Park, it'd probably be more for a CG play rather than yield or cash flow.

Thanks.
I'm looking at purchasing an IP around the Edwardstown region. The prices have been stagnant since 2011 but I think it has potential long term due to it's location and the infrastructure around the suburb.
The other area I was thinking of was Pooraka where I could get an equivalent house for 100k less than Edwardstown with better yields. I'm not sure if the CG in Pooraka will match Edwardstown in the future but who knows.

Back