Peoples thoughts on Adelaide?

I'm looking at purchasing an IP around the Edwardstown region. The prices have been stagnant since 2011 but I think it has potential long term due to it's location and the infrastructure around the suburb.

Agree- I'd go with Edwardstown for medium- long term CG over Pooraka. Edwardstown might get some improved rental demand as flow on from the Educational centres planned for Tonsley park, as well as the industry + jobs once they move into the redeveloped site. Edwardstown undergoing a good deal of improvement as old houses being subdivided. And even now is well placed for Flinders Uni/ hospital students /workers + Marion shopping centre+ train into city.

I am 'boots on the ground' here in Adelaide. If anybody needs somebody to check something out :). I agree, Adelaide can overall be slow moving in CG unless you happen to pick a booming area at the right time. Land banking for new developments can do well.
But certainly in the last few years it has been stagnant. I am just getting our properties here re valued to check if there has been movement.
In some areas you just can't get a positive cashflow situation because rents are low. However vacancy rates are really low here. I rarely have a property empty for more than a couple of weeks in between tenancies, if that!
There are plenty of sub development opportunities though and that is where we are concentrating our efforts on here right now.

Herron Todd White had a good Adelaide rundown this mth

a small cut and past for you'z all, from the monthly publication, in full here : http://htw.com.au/Month_in_Review/Month-In-Review-November-2014.pdf

" During 2013 most noticeably auctions,
a sales method that had all but slipped off the radar
during the downturn, began to re-emerge, and
clearance rates were often well above 50%. This has
continued throughout 2014.
Excess housing stock on the market has slowly
been absorbed and all other indicators showed
improvement.
Agents report that throughout the year the
numbers at open inspections were improving and
that generally interest in residential property has
improved."

"since the start of 2014 capital growth has gained
momentum increasing around 5% over the course of
the year.
Speculations as to the reasons behind this increase
in growth include an apparent return of investors
to the property market (low interest rates, low
vacancy rates, increased potential for capital growth,
consistent yields and lower entry level prices in
South Australia all driving this activity) and maybe a
realisation that the current economic conditions are
set to persist in the short to medium term and that
even though they are not great at least they appear
to have not got much worse over the past 12 to 18
months."

LOL that's a bit dramatic for Adelaide.

There is nothing new or surprising in this, it's all old news.

Everyone knows Adelaide has languished behind everywhere else for a long time, but it will get going eventually - I remember when everyone thought Brisbane and perth were backwater towns. The reality is, Adelaide has the cheapest property of any mainland capital and low vacancy rates. I would rather own two cheap places in Adelaide than one expensive one in inner Sydney.

Careful rizzle, pointing out the negative economic conditions for the state might get you labelled a permabear or having "an agenda" :cool:

The employment charts showing stagnation over the past 5 years + known brain drain issues really cut through to me. That's not to say it will always be the case, or that profits cannot currently be made in the market, but I would not be willing to take a bet that their economy is about to take a turn for the better.

Back