Perils of prosperity (opinion)

http://www.couriermail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,12218728%5E27197,00.html

Perils of prosperity
Saturday View with Matthew Franklin
12feb05

The good news from Canberra: You've probably got a job.

The bad news: Don't pin your hopes on a fat pay rise any time soon. And an increase in home loan interest rates looks likely too.

But hang on. Don't we have the lowest unemployment rate (5.1 per cent) in decades? Haven't interest rates and inflation been under control for some time too?

And didn't Prime Minister John Howard say during the election campaign last October that the economy was in great shape? He did and it is.

But according to Howard and Treasurer Peter Costello, prosperity can cause problems – skills shortages and the possibility of a breakout in wage demands that would drive up inflation and harm the economy.

So after nine years of blaming previous Labor governments for the nation's economic woes, Costello will now have to blame his own success as an economic manager as the reason for future problems.

It's a weird situation but it makes some kind of sense.

Asked about joblessness this week, Costello said it was great to have low unemployment.

"But it brings a new set of problems and we must ensure that particularly in the wages area that wages do not overshoot," he said.

The push for wage restraint is based both in philosophy and political need.

Any treasurer wants to avoid an economic downturn. But the wider context is Howard's continued preparation of sweeping industrial relations reforms in line with his long-held ideological commitment to a more flexible workplace.

A key plank in the argument for workplace reform is the view that greater workplace flexibility will make Australia more internationally competitive and prosperous. The linking of the need for reform with the problems caused by low unemployment is part of a clear push to set the scene for the release of the plans, which will draw the opposition of unions and state Labor governments.

Not that this will mean much after Howard assumes majority control of the Senate on July 1.

It's not all politics. There clearly are skills shortages in many sectors – something that business community representatives and, increasingly, the Opposition have warned about regularly.

Howard responded during last year's election campaign by promising a series of new, federally run technical colleges.

It is a simple rule of supply and demand that workers whose skills are rare can demand higher wages.

That's why this week Costello and his Assistant Treasurer, Mal Brough, both told The Courier-Mail they were worried about the State Government's recent decision to award power workers a pay increase worth 27 per cent over three years.

They accuse Premier Peter Beattie, in strife over power blackouts, of seeking a political fix by agreeing to a ludicrously huge pay rise which could set off a wages explosion.

Beattie says they are wrong, but business lobby the Australian Industry Group also has concerns about a wages blowout and reports a sense of disquiet in business over skills shortages.

Costello argues that bosses simply should not award pay rises that are not justified by demonstrated productivity gains. And in a radio interview yesterday, Howard demanded restraint from company executives themselves so their workers do not use big increases in their already mind-boggling large packages as evidence for fresh pay rise demands. He also forecast a tight Budget in May, citing the need for economic caution.

The other key political development in Canberra this week was news that Sydney had been chosen over Brisbane as host of the 2007 meeting of the leaders of the 21-member Asia-Pacific Economic Co-operation group.

It will fall within weeks of the next federal election, raising obvious questions about whether Howard will still be PM at the time. If he is, it is safe to assume he also plans to lead his party to the election, foiling Costello's hope for a pre-election succession.

Howard has a stock standard response for questions about his leadership: He feels fine and he's happy to serve for as long as his colleagues want.

After last year's stunning election win and the return of Kim Beazley as Leader of the Opposition – the man Howard has beaten in federal election campaigns in 1998 and 2001 – there's no shortage of Liberal backbenchers who want to stick with a winner.

As for Costello, he's hard at work on yet another Budget and must be concerned at increasing speculation among political commentators that his time might never come.

There's an emerging theory that says that if Howard stays healthy and leads his team into the 2007 election, by the time he does stand down Costello might have lost patience.

Or worse still for him, he might have lost his status as heir apparent.

• Matthew Franklin is The Courier-Mail's national political editor. His column appears every Saturday.

[email protected]

My personal opinion is that they took over when the hard decisions were made and have ridden the "good times" ever since. If this is the case then political parties are going to play the short game. Only ever aiming for the next election. Do some investigation into the state of our defence department. A long term investment if there ever was one yet anectdotal evidence points to major holes.

I saw Costello this morining on Sunday (the program). When quized over IR all he could say boiled down to "you'd have been worse under Latham. Even his party didn't like him" :confused: :confused: I thought the question was about Interest rates?

Punchy,
some people have seen it all before.imho,all are driven by impurdent lending,
thats the best part about high risk investments most end in default..
just be first in the queue.
good luck
willair..

I also saw some couple saying how that they are excited about the prospect of interest rate increases because

1) they had a property when IR were 17%

2) interest rates now are low

3) they looked forward to people losing their houses because it gave them an opportunity to pick up a bargain.

1 - and IR decreased from there making repayments easier

2 - Well interest rates are historically low at the moment. What direction (in the medium to long term) do they see them going?

3 - If lot's of people default what happens to houseprices? I'd suggest down ward pressure. this means what? Negative equity?

Punchy said:
I also saw some couple saying how that they are excited about the prospect of interest rate increases because

1) they had a property when IR were 17%

2) interest rates now are low

For many of us that have been in property investment for >15yrs, yes current rates have been excpetionally low. Those of us who had loans at 17% (or more!) in the mid/late 80's rejoiced at when they went below 12%, then 10% you can imagine how happy we were at 6% :D

Punchy said:
3) they looked forward to people losing their houses because it gave them an opportunity to pick up a bargain.

Because it's all happened before and some of us remember the early 90's when houses were almost cheap as chips because nobody wanted to buy. Repos were everywhere, 3 bed brick LG ~100k with $160 rent in the Sydney suburbs, and they were still hard to sell!
SE Qld boomed at this time, but by the late 90's was even more depressed as many had lost heaps of money in the marketeering scams, and nobody wanted to invest in SE Qld. They paid 150k for a townhouse they could sell for <100k five years later! (ouch!) :eek:

So they believe once rates go up, this will eventually happen again, just as it did in the early 70's also. ($3k for a block of land in SW Sydney!)

Punchy said:
2 - Well interest rates are historically low at the moment. What direction (in the medium to long term) do they see them going?

At historic lows, my guess is only one way: up
Punchy said:
3 - If lot's of people default what happens to houseprices? I'd suggest down ward pressure. this means what? Negative equity?

Yes!!! many people did lose money in real estate (contrary to what RE's may tell you) in the 70's, 80's & 90's and it may happen again in this decade.

Thanks Beach Bum. They are great points. To see the future sometimes we need to look to the past as it has all happened before. I have just finished reading "the Richest man in Babylon". The thing that struck me the most about the book is how little we have changed. What works back in antiquity still works today.

Punchy said:
Thanks Beach Bum. They are great points. To see the future sometimes we need to look to the past as it has all happened before. I have just finished reading "the Richest man in Babylon". The thing that struck me the most about the book is how little we have changed. What works back in antiquity still works today.

Hi Punchy

Then you'd enjoy "Extraordinary Popular Delusions And The Madness Of Crowds"

It's available in free etext download, over 100 years old, and truer than ever. Warning though - it's around 700 pages, and a real blast !

Cheers
JamesP

Punchy said:
The thing that struck me the most about the book is how little we have changed. What works back in antiquity still works today.

Nothing changes Punchy because humans havnt changed and the fundamentals of investing and finance are always the same. The only things that change are that concepts are given new trendy names to appeal to the generation new to investing at that time.

JP1746 said:
"Extraordinary Popular Delusions And The Madness Of Crowds"

It's available in free etext download, over 100 years old, and truer than ever. Warning though - it's around 700 pages, and a real blast !
G'day James

Do you have a link to this?

I found it at www.litrix.com
but it's not easy to print, I'd like to read it on the train.

Cheers
quoll

quoll said:
G'day James

Do you have a link to this?

I found it at www.litrix.com
but it's not easy to print, I'd like to read it on the train.

Cheers
quoll

Hi Quoll;

Yep, that looks like it, though the link is one page / chapter of many. Go to the bottom of that page and click on title page, and you should get a list of all the chapters. If you have difficulty, other sites have it too.

As far as a hard copy is concerned, first try abesbooks at

http://dogbert.abebooks.com/

rather than Amazon and the like, who tend to charge more. I've found abesbooks a marvelous reasource. It is a linkup of thousands and thousands of 2nd hand bookstores worldwide, where you can track down almost anything, although our book in question here is by no means rare.

For my hardcopy, I simply copied / pasted each chapter in Word rich text format, in one huge document. I print out 20 - 30 pages at a time, and read 'em. There you have it !

Cheers
JamesP

BTW, I just wanted to add that I'm not entirely in aggreement with the title of this thread, and don't really support it.

IMO, prosperity is good - even a little greed is good !

It is avorice and deception that taint things IMO !

JamesP

Back