Perth Builders are testing my patience

Signed up a preliminary agreement with the builder and paid the $3k fee on 15 October 2013 (over 10 months ago) after ~6 weeks of working with the sales rep to get modified etc to how we want it.

The land settled on 7 November 2013.

After 10 months the build is still in the "drafting & estimating stage", yet to sign the full contract. Builder has been useless, just saying what we want to hear and not doing anything.

4-5 months ago we looked at changing to a small custom builder but the extra cost was going to be at least $50k and more like $100k, plus the design they give you was rubbish. You tell them what you want and they do the opposite.

Have finally found a small custom builder with a design we like, waiting to hear back on costs but I assume more $80-100k more than our current build price. Then who knows if they will get it down faster than our current builder.

Just very frustrating and quite unbelievable the poor customer service.

This is for a rental property which will become our PPOR in 5-10 years (hopefully).

Tell me about it, brickies have just finished at my site. 3months for a standard 4x2. Should take 2-4weeks. Roof carpenters have started though and moving along quickly. Fingers crossed no more delays

Went with Commodore Homes (BGC), the wife really liked the design and they were very competitive.

Now looking at Highbury Homes, got to wait 2 weeks for them to get back to me with a price.

You get what you pay for unfortunately, I wouldn't go bear a bgc builder

Signed up a preliminary agreement with the builder and paid the $3k fee on 15 October 2013 (over 10 months ago) after ~6 weeks of working with the sales rep to get modified etc to how we want it.

The land settled on 7 November 2013.

After 10 months the build is still in the "drafting & estimating stage", yet to sign the full contract. Builder has been useless, just saying what we want to hear and not doing anything.

4-5 months ago we looked at changing to a small custom builder but the extra cost was going to be at least $50k and more like $100k, plus the design they give you was rubbish. You tell them what you want and they do the opposite.

Have finally found a small custom builder with a design we like, waiting to hear back on costs but I assume more $80-100k more than our current build price. Then who knows if they will get it down faster than our current builder.

Just very frustrating and quite unbelievable the poor customer service.

This is for a rental property which will become our PPOR in 5-10 years (hopefully).

My small builder came in at least $30-40K less than 3 major spec builders, and I got all the fruit. The Spec builders over estimated the site works and just took a stab at it, to cover their ar@ses.
PM me if you want the details.

Cheers
MTR:)

We signed our contract in November last year and still have things to finalize before we can get to site. Our builder completely stuffed up the planning and approvals. They were however very good at working with us to get a design we like. Next time I'd go with a smaller builder.

When we built our two investments we used a smaller builder and the process was relatively painless. But we're a lot fussier with our ppor.

They aren't hungry enough at the moment which is a pain in the ar$e.

Some builders aren't even quoting as they don't need the work.

I hope you find one at a reasonable price.

Still having teething dramas with our's now it's finished

Apparently the inspection list we gave at key handover doesn't get fixed immediately unless 'urgent', they will fix all at the 6 month stage

When the toilet and shower backed up due to sand in the pipes that classified

Chasing up some work that we paid additional for that never got completed either and I spent the other day digging and raking up concrete, brick pieces, brick ties, tile pieces etc etc out of the soil where the grass is to go

My small builder came in at least $30-40K less than 3 major spec builders, and I got all the fruit. The Spec builders over estimated the site works and just took a stab at it, to cover their ar@ses.
PM me if you want the details.

Cheers

Thanks for the offer however the challenge with the smaller builders is getting a design that we (mostly my wife) like, as it is going to be our PPOR. I think we will probably go with Highbury as they have done a really nice design for us and I think that if we did sell the extra spent on the $$ would be recouped.

Will keep your offer in mind for the next IP build though.

Hi VaS
That's why you employ a good draftee to design it, I threw plans in the bin that Spec builders provided, they were in the main rubbish, therefore it is your property and you can shop it for best outcome.

Cheers

Thanks for the offer however the challenge with the smaller builders is getting a design that we (mostly my wife) like, as it is going to be our PPOR. I think we will probably go with Highbury as they have done a really nice design for us and I think that if we did sell the extra spent on the $$ would be recouped.

Will keep your offer in mind for the next IP build though.

im amazed that you feel a bigger builder would provide better specific plans

Hi VaS
That's why you employ a good draftee to design it, I threw plans in the bin that Spec builders provided, they were in the main rubbish, therefore it is your property and you can shop it for best outcome.

Cheers

I enquired about getting a draftee to draft some plans but the draftee I spoke to recommended I go straight to the builder and not waste the $$.

I also spoke to a building broker, they weren't interested unless it was going to be over a 1/2 mill build.

I am very happy with the plans drawn up by the consultant at Highbury Homes, it is a modified Hollywood II. Longer and skinnier than the display, incorporating a games room and larger alfresco, removing the kids zone. The master suite / WIR & ensuite is also reconfigured. Just waiting on a price now.

http://www.highburyhomes.com.au/highbury-range/single-storey/hollywood-ii/

I am happy you are pleased with the plans by Highbury, however you have no power, as you do not own the drawings, therefore you can not shop it and compare apples with apples.

I paid $5000 for my drawings, this is my property and I can shop price for building costs with whoever I wish.

Another important reason why I will always use a draftee is to maximise potential of the block and achieve the best outcome in terms of price point and end sale. What I have found is the spec builders are not prepared to do this as they work in volumes.

For example, My villas/drawings by Ventura Homes were a lot smaller than what I draftee has designed, hence the end value will be lower, by getting a draftee I am maximising the potential of the block, higher end value.

Cheers

VaSSago if you don't have any joy, give me a call and I might be able to fast-track you to the right people.

Best to probably call 1300495787 and leave your details though as I'm understaffed at the moment.

Half the problem I'm hearing in the lower end is the price gouging on site costs and energy efficiency which allows builders to claim back margins on loss-leader designs. It's unethical and pisses me off when they do it. All of our work is quoted entirely up-front, meaning no nasty BS surprises later.

I had one couple see me this week where a builder they were working with added $30k in extras onto their price, trying to claim it as legitimate site costings.... BS.

Another woman called me on Monday all distressed because her mum signed a building contract, and the sales rep didn't even tell her it was the contract. She thought it was a PPA. Turns out they put 400 workings days on the contract and almost everything is a PS or a PC. All this on a $500k home.... Ridiculous!

Would never recommend BGC or JWH group builders to anyone, from spec projects to anything higher end (JWH owns Oswald/Residential Attitudes).

Terrible service though to you. We currently have an issue with bricklayers (lack of), but have personally advised all clients that we would prefer to wait for our regular teams to get through our jobs rather than try anyone out. Delayed most projects 2-4 weeks, so nothing too dramatic.

Having to wait that long is unacceptable. Plus building is gradually slowing at the moment, we are still busy on site from sales from late last year. By years end things will start to change. Just yesterday I got wind of a fairly major mid-range builder going belly-up.

Small update

Ending up talking to the GM at BGC Residential and they are refunding us our $3k deposit. We are still out of pocket big time (holding costs whilst they stuffed us around) but better than nothing. A learning experience I suppose.

Hopefully will get a costing from Highbury this week.

Back