Perth Property Market updates

Break out of what? Layoffs in the mining industry? Redundancies in Oil and Gas?
It is only beginning.

Perth survived perfectly well without all the excess bubble and froth of more recent years. The market has been down for so long now it is ridiculous. I believe it will return to trend growth... Bris and Perth always follow Syd and Melbourne

we all need to move on from the rental proposition... dev sites never yield well

I agree with you. However how are they going to make a lot of money renovating or building new on a 490 metre block?
If it was just a case of living in the area, they could have rented something better for $450 a week.

I really don't think in the current climate, they got it for anything more than fair value.... if that.

Perth survived perfectly well without all the excess bubble and froth of more recent years. The market has been down for so long now it is ridiculous. I believe it will return to trend growth... Bris and Perth always follow Syd and Melbourne

Perth is more similar to the Gold Coast.
Only ever boom or bust, never a happy medium.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-mount+hawthorn-404834762

Look at this rental on the same street, 3 x 1 $515, bigger block than the 490 of the 1 they paid $705 for and in better condition.
And it isn't renting at that price.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-mount+hawthorn-415830981

Another house, 2 x 1 up the road on Dunedin Street, $450 weekly

Show me how they are going to make this $705,000 buy price a lucrative investment un the next 5years?

yes on yield they are terrible. for a PPOR they can be both a nice place to live in and provide some pretty good capital growth if bought and renovated well etc.

good character homes in subi have not dropped as much as its surrounding suburbs

good character homes in highgate have performed decently too compared to new ones.

I agree with you. However how are they going to make a lot of money renovating or building new on a 490 metre block?
If it was just a case of living in the area, they could have rented something better for $450 a week.

I really don't think in the current climate, they got it for anything more than fair value.... if that.
Why do people buy million dollar houses at all?

IMO with a decent reno to covert the house to a 4x2 the house would sell for $1.1 to $1.2 million in the current market.

A 3x1 with a quite good reno sold in Nov last year for $1,065,000.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-mount+hawthorn-118162619

A 4x2 weatherboard nearby sold for $1,010,000 in Feb of this year. The weatherboard has issues though: kitchen and bathrooms need a do-over. Outdoor living area is nasty for a million dollar house.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-mount+hawthorn-118694479

My thinking is that properly renovated, the $705 house has a current end value of $1.1 to $1.2 million.

Deciding to buy or rent is not an economic/rational decision. If it was, no one would buy a $1 millon weatherboard in Mt Hawthorne. And yet, it sold at that price. It just shows that some people are paying those prices for these houses.

probably true. i do feel for the right person though, ie the person who wants to spend say $300k on a reno it is a decent deal. they would end up with a pretty great house on a good street in a good area for around $1.1-1.15m

there are plenty of people for whom that is the dream, a beautifully renoated character home in an area like this. for those people it was a decent buy. for others it would make no sense.

not everything has to suoit everyone, eg i wouldnt have bouht this but i can see why some people would have seen value

I just rented my Mandurah build on 284sqm with a 18.5 sqm home for $390 pw.

Another guys on the forum also built and he got $380 pw...so not all bad. ;)

Deciding to buy or rent is not an economic/rational decision. If it was, no one would buy a $1 millon weatherboard in Mt Hawthorne. And yet, it sold at that price. It just shows that some people are paying those prices for these houses.

well you could spend that in Sydney I guess, a lovely 1 hour commute comes free with the property

Back